Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9069 9070 [9071] 9072 9073 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13137230 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #136050 on: July 27, 2018, 05:24:22 pm »

You qualify as temporary middle class

The trick is everyone is temporary middle class

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136051 on: July 27, 2018, 05:42:47 pm »

Speaking of being poor and cars what is with us americans and big cars?  I have a 2015(ish) chevy cruize.  The dealer even told me it was a 'small car' when I told him that was what I was looking for.  How is that a small car?  It's the biggest car I have owned to date!  When I was asking about small cars I was thinking more along the lines of one of those cars that only seat one or two people with maybe a small trunk behind it.

Why do I never see any cars like that around here?  People complain about gas prices, but at the same time drive a car the size of a big toolshed.  A small car would be cheap enough on gas to get a lot of folks out of the poorhouse.

EDIT: After doing a bit of research it seems super small cars are considered too unsafe in the US, just because of all the people driving around all these big behemoths of a car.  Microcars and the like need to meet all the same safety requirements of a massive pickup truck, fuel economy be damned.  So because all the other cars are big heavy blocks of wasted space and metal, all other cars have to be too.  Disappointing considering on my way to work every day I'm around hundreds of cars and see maybe 3 cars with more than 1 person in them.  It's stupid expensive and inefficient for no good reason.   Maybe I should get a motorcycle licence.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 06:03:23 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136052 on: July 27, 2018, 06:15:08 pm »

While the mass of a bigger car does mean it wins more crashes, smaller more nimble cars can avoid more crashes. Motorcycles are the extreme, smaller and nimbler, but lack many of the inherent safety features cars do.

As for the Cruze being small, that's bullshit. Even a Ford Focus isn't small, though it's not a giant. The SUV craze is just particularly stronk right now, especially with low gas prices. I actually drive a crossover, to be honest. Luckily, it gets good mileage and the storage is just enough.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #136053 on: July 27, 2018, 06:54:15 pm »

Speaking of being poor, the War on Poverty has been won, apparently, so all you guys complaining about being poor are just wrong or something, apparently.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136054 on: July 27, 2018, 07:04:19 pm »

Speaking of being poor, the War on Poverty has been won, apparently, so all you guys complaining about being poor are just wrong or something, apparently.
Oh hey, the "condition of work" bit, that's what got me working for that hilariously hypocritical Christian food charity that illegally fired me for refusing to participate in forced morning bible studies. I know that they're still in operation, but I wonder if the "former millionaire" who fired me is still running it or if he's been arrested for embezzlement yet.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136055 on: July 27, 2018, 08:03:33 pm »

Seriously, that is so stupid. Everyone who tactfully knows anything about this stuff knows that the work requirements shit is counterproductive. The constant need felt by republicans to attach a million strings to everything so as to make sure not a single person takes advantage of a system totally counteracts any good the programs might do in the first place.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136056 on: July 27, 2018, 11:53:43 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:03:15 pm by dragdeler »
let

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136057 on: July 28, 2018, 12:12:34 am »

It's especially evil to withhold medical treatment from people who fail to meet your "looking for work" criteria. Even nations such as UK and Australia which have obligations to look for work don't tie that into access to the health system.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #136058 on: July 28, 2018, 04:09:56 am »

Not that uncommon. Depends on how you are at that given moment.
Also how often or not you take them, body weight..

It also varies from person to person. I'm fairly resistant to benzodiazepines. Once I took two tablets of lorazepam and was no worse for the wear, while I've seen other people KO by just one.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #136059 on: July 28, 2018, 04:52:54 am »

*Hans appears in a puff of smoke*

Someone mentioned drugs. ChairmanPoo is right, tolerance is pretty variable, and for benzodiazepines goes up quite quickly.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136060 on: July 28, 2018, 05:09:48 am »

I stay away from "proper" sleep meds, as I tend to regularly need some kind of sleep aid and sleeping pill resistance is a bit terrifying.

Instead I "just" take a combination of beta blockers and antipsychotics, to help the body relax while also squelching a bit of the chaotic it's-bedtime-time-to-think-about-a-million-bad-things-you've-done chatter.

I've grown slightly tolerant of the antipsychotics, as I no longer get the epiphany of "wow, I'm not thinking about anything!", but it does still help and I'm not reliant on them to fall asleep. I also take a fairly low dose, but higher dosages have an unfortunate tendency to give me restless leg, which is remarkably unhelpful if you're trying to relax and get some sleep.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #136061 on: July 28, 2018, 06:47:15 am »

If you use them very continuously (first gen antihistamines) you lose some of the sleep inducing effect too. Nothing like benzos, though.
Anyway, they do tend to have long half lifes so you can be wrecked in the morning if you dont count the hours and regulate the dosage.

I do find them better than benzodiazepines as far as my sleeping problems are concerned, for what it´s worth.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #136062 on: July 28, 2018, 07:04:19 am »

That´s why you get a stronger kick.
IIRC it has been described.

I tend to research my self-medicating habits you see :p   I have a pile of research articles and guidelines on sleep-aids from when I began my training and on call duty was wrecking my scheudle more than usual.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #136063 on: July 28, 2018, 06:02:21 pm »

This one's diphenhydramine hydrochloride. Apparently a pretty common over-the-counter sleep aid that can cause minor psychological dependencies, but that's about it.

More commonly used as allergy medication, probably most famously "benadryl".

That shit knocks me out right quick, but only because I never actually use it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #136064 on: July 28, 2018, 06:55:55 pm »

Finally saw Dr. Strangelove. It was uh... something.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 9069 9070 [9071] 9072 9073 ... 10980