Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9071 9072 [9073] 9074 9075 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12998980 times)

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #136080 on: July 30, 2018, 09:34:29 am »

Yes. All of the places, actually. Stockholm for being twats. Skåne for being Danish. The Northlands for being mute and emotionally crippled. Islandislanders for being inbred, and also Stockholmarjävlar. Northlanders for being inbred. Gothenburgians for being Gothenburgians. Jönköpingare for being free-religious zealots.

Skåne

Stockholmarjävlar

Jönköpingare

I am legit, intrigued, about how the fuck do you pronouce these words.
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.
Hey, don't be like that. Your life never had any meaning in the first place!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #136081 on: July 30, 2018, 09:36:34 am »

Sk-ay-n

Stockholm-mar-yav-lar

… Holy shit what the fuck...
Jyoin-ko-pin-gar-eh?

Anyway, these are an American's wild guesses.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136082 on: July 30, 2018, 09:38:48 am »

If those are your american wild guesses, I don't even want to write my brazilian wild guesses...
Yeah, there's plenty of information out there, but you don't need that information to form an opinion and then defend it to the death.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136083 on: July 30, 2018, 09:39:19 am »

Å is pronounced like the "oh" in "only". So Skåne is actually quite simple to pronounce, which you'd never imagine after listening to the bizarre fucking dialect the people who live there have.

Skoh-ne.

EDIT: Perhaps a simpler explanation would just be "Scone, eh?"

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136084 on: July 30, 2018, 09:40:25 am »

And I thought portuguese was difficult to learn...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136085 on: July 30, 2018, 09:42:27 am »

And I thought portugues was difficult to learn...

I can't speak for Swedish, but Norwegian is just as bad as English. It's got a lot of rules, about as many exceptions to those rules, and a bunch of other things that you either just grew up knowing or have no clue about.

Written Danish is almost identical to written Norwegian, but you will never be able to pronounce it. No one can pronounce it. The Danes can't even pronounce it.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136086 on: July 30, 2018, 09:45:05 am »

And I thought portugues was difficult to learn...

I can't speak for Swedish, but Norwegian is just as bad as English. It's got a lot of rules, about as many exceptions to those rules, and a bunch of other things that you either just grew up knowing or have no clue about.

Written Danish is almost identical to written Norwegian, but you will never be able to pronounce it. No one can pronounce it. The Danes can't even pronounce it.

Honestly, I thought english was quite easy to learn, maybe that has something to do with me learning portuguese first which has a fucking LOT of rules and exceptions. Fun fact, I've always scored more in english than portuguese in school tests, even though portuguese is my mother language!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136087 on: July 30, 2018, 09:46:37 am »

I forgot how to upload pictures. I can't get them to post here in the IMG tag. I can get them on imgur and get the link for the images, but I can't get them to show up in previews.

Off the top of my head, are you sure you're using the direct link to the image, not the link to page it's on?

Direct Link
vs
Indirect Link

If you're using the img tags right

Code: (img tag) [Select]
[img]imagelinkhere.jpg[/img]
Then that's the first thing I can think of off top of my head as an easy mistake to make that'd make it stop working.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136088 on: July 30, 2018, 09:50:05 am »

Well that worked! Thanks Cript!
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136089 on: July 30, 2018, 09:52:18 am »

Yeah, Portuguese is generally ranked as more difficult to learn than the Scandinavian languages, but for someone coming from a latin root language and trying to understand a germanic root language, lots of things are just not going to make sense... Like the ever-popular hilarity of compound words, such as kommunesammenslåing.

Another thing that makes English easier for a lot of people is that pretty much regardless of where you are in the world, there will be English-language media available to you, if not even something you're exposed to on a daily basis. By comparison, you're most likely never going to tune into a Scandinavian movie or series on TV unless you are specifically living in a Scandinavian country.  All in all though, I'd rank Norwegian and English as being pretty equal as far as linguistic fucked-ness is concerned.

But be it English, Norwegian or Portuguese, at least we can all be thankful that it's not fucking Finnish.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136090 on: July 30, 2018, 09:54:20 am »

My wife's best friend emigrated to Finland from here in America to be with a girl (they broke up) and he decided to stay and get dual-citizenship. He's quite fluent in Finnish now.
He's fucking with us.

GPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate forum poster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136091 on: July 30, 2018, 09:58:53 am »

Yeah, Portuguese is generally ranked as more difficult to learn than the Scandinavian languages, but for someone coming from a latin root language and trying to understand a germanic root language, lots of things are just not going to make sense... Like the ever-popular hilarity of compound words, such as kommunesammenslåing.

That actually makes sense, I spent my whole childhood watching shows like Friends

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136092 on: July 30, 2018, 10:02:55 am »

I learnt an important lesson from a song by Kollektivet.

This one, specifically - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f488uJAQgmw

It bothers me that 'zee' is the default pronunciation for the letter Z. Stupid american cultural hegemonism. Zed Zed Top! Jay Zed!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136093 on: July 30, 2018, 10:05:33 am »

It bothers me that 'zee' is the default pronunciation for the letter Z.
Except in India, where it's djee.

GG Top, no re.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136094 on: July 30, 2018, 10:07:59 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:02:22 pm by dragdeler »
let
Pages: 1 ... 9071 9072 [9073] 9074 9075 ... 10974