Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9080 9081 [9082] 9083 9084 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12999340 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #136215 on: August 02, 2018, 07:16:59 am »

How would they know he was a big pharma guy? Was hea monocle user with a peculiar facial scar, dressed in an all black attrite while slowly stroking a cat with his non-metal clawed hand?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #136216 on: August 02, 2018, 07:21:29 am »

Well, because she was openly a rep from GSK.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #136217 on: August 02, 2018, 07:23:02 am »

I think people tend to draw parallels with political lobbyists, and how a lot of politicians are pay to play in that sense. It's different obviously, but most people don't take the time to really consider the differences.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #136218 on: August 02, 2018, 07:31:08 am »

Honestly, if you want to find conflicts of interest, look at public/private  hybrid schemes.  I do find those highly dubious.

As far as pharma goes, like I said,  bullshit trials and hooked bait product placement schemes* are far more worrying than  sponsored dinners. I know examples of those
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136219 on: August 02, 2018, 07:38:35 am »

How would they know he was a big pharma guy? Was hea monocle user with a peculiar facial scar, dressed in an all black attrite while slowly stroking a cat with his non-metal clawed hand?

Big Pharma company reps openly pile gifts and freebies on doctors. The tacit agreement is that the doctor is prescribing the pharma company's massively overpriced "wonderdrug" which does the same thing as the 2-cent generic version, but is all being charge to the taxpayer through Medicare or to your insurance plan, so everyone* wins!

(except the taxpayer and the actual patient, who has their Medicare allowance eaten away and/or massive increases in their insurance premiums to account for all this largesse).

It's done in ways that legally circumvent any restrictions. But that includes free high-quality restaurant food. It's a "meeting" after all, and there's no law that says the meeting cannot be in a really expensive restaurant.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:42:16 am by Reelya »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #136220 on: August 02, 2018, 07:41:09 am »

With maggoty meat. Also at best leaving the fuckups aside it was a middling good restaurant at best. Perhaps you'd like these to take place at McDonalds?

"Freebies". Heh.

Honestly going by these conspiranoic messages you'd assume that most doctors can't afford eating out or ballpoint pens.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:44:17 am by ChairmanPoo »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136221 on: August 02, 2018, 07:43:57 am »

With maggoty meat

ikr.

No wonder the GSK sales rep was livid. He's doing his best to unethically bribe medical practitioners with lavish gifts, all while the lavish-gift-sales people are unethically delivering sub-par lavish gifts.

Well, because she was openly a rep from GSK.

The keyword being "she" here. Is she good looking?

Big Pharma reps are usually good-looking women, who don't know anything about medicine, since they're mostly hired to sell drugs to male doctors, and looks are more important for that than actually knowing what you're selling.

On the John Oliver episode about this they interview some, who were things like Politics or PR undergrads before getting the Big Pharma "doctor schmoozing" job, and one Rep mentioned that some doctors would ask them for medical opinions (despite them only having an undergrad degree in communications or something) and they'd just go "uh sure, I'm sure medicine X will be fine with condition Y" because it's their job to say the stuff is fine no matter what.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:50:54 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136222 on: August 02, 2018, 07:49:52 am »

So, I finally decided to take a good look at Twitch, it's always been on the periphery of my gaming culture knowledge, but just, jesus what the fuck? Why are so many people invested into watching other people play games? and in what is probably the most boring format possible (live, unscripted, no guarantee of actual entertainment)? It's one of those things that makes me question if I understand people at all.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136223 on: August 02, 2018, 07:52:07 am »

The same reasons people watch hour after hour of reality TV or spend hours scrolling through really boring update feeds on Facebook and similar.

Yeah, i don't get any of those things.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:55:00 am by Reelya »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #136224 on: August 02, 2018, 07:52:52 am »

Kee-ripes, Reelya, biased much? :P
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136225 on: August 02, 2018, 07:54:17 am »

So, I finally decided to take a good look at Twitch, it's always been on the periphery of my gaming culture knowledge, but just, jesus what the fuck? Why are so many people invested into watching other people play games? and in what is probably the most boring format possible (live, unscripted, no guarantee of actual entertainment)?
You could always ask. Maybe in a less judgemental manner, though.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #136226 on: August 02, 2018, 07:56:07 am »

There are no lavish gifts, for crying out loud. You get a shitty plane trip abroad, spend hours locked in a conference center listening to long rants and drinking subpar coffee (by the way I angered a lot this year in Stockholm an US rep by suggesting their coffee was substandard), and then you go have a middling decent dinner with those same people and speak about the same subjects.

It's not pleasure, it's not how I normally choose to spend my leisure time, and it's not the people with whom I would normally go to have dinner. I can afford better places to eat, with people I like better, too.  It's not a paid vacation, it's work, and trust me on this, you don't want to get treated by the one guy who never goes to meetings.
The keyword being "she" here. Is she good looking?

Big Pharma reps are usually good-looking women, who don't know anything about medicine, since they're mostly hired to sell drugs to male doctors, and looks are more important for that than actually knowing what you're selling.
that's kind of outdated. Doctor gender is evenly split and newer generations tend to be more frequently women. Most reps I've known also tend to have some sort of health sciences background (barring one who was a lawyer. ).  Few of the ones I've met were particularily attractive (I can only think of two ATM). This one in particular was in her fifties and I think had some background in pharmacy.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136227 on: August 02, 2018, 07:56:27 am »

Kee-ripes, Reelya, biased much? :P

About which?

Thinking Reality TV and Facebook feeds are boring? I'm not going to apologize for that one, clearly.

Or the thing about pharma reps? I'm just repeating what a number of documentaries say, where they interview actual reps themselves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:32:25 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136228 on: August 02, 2018, 08:24:41 am »

So, I finally decided to take a good look at Twitch, it's always been on the periphery of my gaming culture knowledge, but just, jesus what the fuck? Why are so many people invested into watching other people play games? and in what is probably the most boring format possible (live, unscripted, no guarantee of actual entertainment)?
You could always ask. Maybe in a less judgemental manner, though.

I'm not judging anyone. Most of my Youtube subs are letsplayers, I get it, I like watching people play games too, but this cultural response just seems wildly disproportionate to what is on offer. Ones like Saltybets, Gaming Tournaments, any special event, those are obvious, they don't need to be questioned. Ones where it's basically just random, mostly uninteresting people doing an mostly uninteresting activity in a mostly uninteresting way...?

I'm reminded of a certain Junji Ito short story where people become obsessed about peeping and intruding on people's privacy; it's like a disorder that grips the population and compels them to drill holes in people's walls to peep, and Twitch is providing that peephole into mundane people's live for real. The only difference being their's also a voyeur culture to compliment it and feed into it.

I can ask someone, but that can't give me the answer I'm looking for. This doesn't seem like something that could have possible have happened 50 years ago, even if the same technology were present. I want to know what's going on with society, and asking one person is like examining a single atom of a larger structure.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136229 on: August 02, 2018, 08:52:56 am »

Perhaps it is simply that, as with slow TV, our lives are so busy now that boredom has become unfamiliar enough to be exotic.
Pages: 1 ... 9080 9081 [9082] 9083 9084 ... 10974