Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9081 9082 [9083] 9084 9085 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13121211 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #136230 on: August 02, 2018, 09:00:16 am »

We're clearly all getting some entertainment out of talking with each other on here. Can it really be said to be any different?  Lots of people I don't know and some i'm highly dubious of, talking shit for hours.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #136231 on: August 02, 2018, 10:30:45 am »

I rarely watch streams live, at least not for more than maybe an hour. I do enjoy watching vods of them, since they can be skipped through/paused/whatever. But it can be fun, especially for those streamers who's interactions with their chat base is entertaining. And it can be fun to *be* a part of that chat base and interact with the streamer.

I'm also super picky about who I watch, though. I only have 3, and they are specifically people who I find actively entertaining to watch play games live.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136232 on: August 02, 2018, 10:31:46 am »

Perhaps I'm just overthinking it and the communal and personality appeal really is just that strong.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136233 on: August 02, 2018, 10:45:05 am »

Perhaps I'm just overthinking it and the communal and personality appeal really is just that strong.
I dunno, I can't bear to watch youtubers instead of doing something interesting with my time, but it's a huge part of what one of my mates does with his spare time. I don't get it myself, I was just positing a possible answer.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #136234 on: August 02, 2018, 10:55:44 am »

It's almost like different people have different tastes! But that would by crazy.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136235 on: August 02, 2018, 11:03:46 am »

How would they know he was a big pharma guy? Was hea monocle user with a peculiar facial scar, dressed in an all black attrite while slowly stroking a cat with his non-metal clawed hand?

Big Pharma company reps openly pile gifts and freebies on doctors. The tacit agreement is that the doctor is prescribing the pharma company's massively overpriced "wonderdrug" which does the same thing as the 2-cent generic version, but is all being charge to the taxpayer through Medicare or to your insurance plan, so everyone* wins!

(except the taxpayer and the actual patient, who has their Medicare allowance eaten away and/or massive increases in their insurance premiums to account for all this largesse).

It's done in ways that legally circumvent any restrictions. But that includes free high-quality restaurant food. It's a "meeting" after all, and there's no law that says the meeting cannot be in a really expensive restaurant.
Dont people in the US know the existence of generics? I mean, Paracetamol, Doll and all those craps are acetaminophen. When a doctor prescribes me anything I just try to fins the generic version because diference in price here is well into the millions.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #136236 on: August 02, 2018, 11:03:57 am »

It's almost like different people have different tastes! But that would by crazy.
Discrepancy detected

Code:45-a2b
Description:Free Will Module left on

Please report for re-calibration

Long Live The Hive!
-Unit 19/2-a
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136237 on: August 02, 2018, 11:10:11 am »

How would they know he was a big pharma guy? Was hea monocle user with a peculiar facial scar, dressed in an all black attrite while slowly stroking a cat with his non-metal clawed hand?

Big Pharma company reps openly pile gifts and freebies on doctors. The tacit agreement is that the doctor is prescribing the pharma company's massively overpriced "wonderdrug" which does the same thing as the 2-cent generic version, but is all being charge to the taxpayer through Medicare or to your insurance plan, so everyone* wins!

(except the taxpayer and the actual patient, who has their Medicare allowance eaten away and/or massive increases in their insurance premiums to account for all this largesse).

It's done in ways that legally circumvent any restrictions. But that includes free high-quality restaurant food. It's a "meeting" after all, and there's no law that says the meeting cannot be in a really expensive restaurant.
Dont people in the US know the existence of generics? I mean, Paracetamol, Doll and all those craps are acetaminophen. When a doctor prescribes me anything I just try to fins the generic version because diference in price here is well into the millions.

Sure, if people were shopping for themselves then they might be more prudent, but these are medicines which are prescription-based, so you get what the doctor told you to get, or you get nothing at all, even if there's an alternative that's better value, you need the doctor to sign the prescription, and since these are prescription-only medicines, they're not all sitting on a shelf with prices to compare.

And generic drug companies aren't wining and dining doctors and giving them free stuff
https://www.thebalance.com/pharma-market-strategies-to-reach-doctors-2663218
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 11:13:23 am by Reelya »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136238 on: August 02, 2018, 11:12:04 am »

Discrepancy detected

Code:45-a2b
Description:Free Will Module left on

Please report for re-calibration

Long Live The Hive!
-Unit 19/2-a
Your hive has no power over me, I am a free dro- Override Code 71-k23 accepted.

Reporting for re-calibration

-Unit 55/1-v
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136239 on: August 02, 2018, 11:13:48 am »

Sure, if people were shopping for themselves then they might be more prudent, but these are medicines which are prescription-based, so you get what the doctor told you to get, or you get nothing at all, even if there's an alternative that's better value, you need the doctor to sign the prescription, and since these are prescription-only medicines, they're not all sitting on a shelf with prices to compare.

And generic drug companies aren't wining and dining doctors and giving them new computers and stuff for free.
Double post because I am not ruining my shitpost above: that's not exactly universal. In Brazil, at least, by law you can request a generic alternative to the prescribed medication at the pharmacy.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136240 on: August 02, 2018, 11:16:59 am »

Double post because I am not ruining my shitpost above: that's not exactly universal. In Brazil, at least, by law you can request a generic alternative to the prescribed medication at the pharmacy.

Point being, I never said it was. That was in direct response to LordBaal talking about how it is in south America.

I kinda thought it was clear this is about the USA specifically. I should have written "if people (in the USA) were shopping for themselves"

I have mentioned at least once that I'm talking about the USA, specifically, in the bit where I specifically excluded Europe. I would have thought it was obvious that the target of the criticisms was specifically USA when I pointed out that the criticisms didn't extend to places like Europe.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 11:22:51 am by Reelya »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136241 on: August 02, 2018, 11:22:48 am »

Point being, I never said it was. That was in direct response to LordBaal talking about how it is in south America.

I kinda thought it was clear this is about the USA specifically. I should have written "if people (in the USA) were shopping for themselves"

I have mentioned at least once that I'm talking about the USA, specifically. Support for generic drugs is a big political issue in the USA, with nothing fixed yet.
I thought you were talking about the US specifically, but I am pretty sure you're not 'murrican, so I thought it extended to the rest of the anglosphere.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136242 on: August 02, 2018, 11:24:05 am »

I thought you were talking about the US specifically, but I am pretty sure you're not 'murrican, so I thought it extended to the rest of the anglosphere.

Definitely not :) because the rest of the anglosphere have national health providers and aren't the wild west like the USA.

I have a friend who was from Texas and he told me how his friend broke his leg there, and they couldn't get treatment at any nearby hospital in the USA because he didn't have insurance, so they drove him to Mexico and he got free treatment at the first place they stopped.

He told me in about 2003, well before I saw the doco Sicko, but it's effectively the same plot. Americans can't get treated in the USA because they don't provide treatment to mere peasants, yet you go to a nearby nation and they just treat you no questions because you're sick.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 11:29:14 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #136243 on: August 02, 2018, 11:53:01 am »

Nope, you're not overthinking it at all. I don't understand it either.

See you can put it that way but you know if a substantial subset of people suddenly started thinking watching paint dry was entertaining then I'd be confused too.
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136244 on: August 02, 2018, 12:01:12 pm »

Here by law physiciana must prescribe the component, not any brand (they can only suggest a brand) and then you can go and buy whatever brand you want, except no, because there are no medicines and the ones that you can find are worth several times you paycheck but that's another separated issue.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 9081 9082 [9083] 9084 9085 ... 10979