Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9114 9115 [9116] 9117 9118 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997922 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #136725 on: August 12, 2018, 04:19:35 pm »

(Snip)
I was expecting that I'd be able to watch youtube with ads without having to brace for jumpscares every so often.

I was also expecting to post the occasional thing here and there without getting snarked at, but I guess that might be a bit much to ask.

Also, I didn't know any of that.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136726 on: August 12, 2018, 04:25:33 pm »

Someone actually made a youtube video about how upset they were about these ads...

I'm more offended that you made me watch a youtube video with sub-2006 production values. It doesn't bode well for how relevant that guy is as a film critic.

Watching the actual 2 minute trailer, the jumpscare is shown at the end, after plenty of setting/expositon. Jumpscares are native to that movie/genre.

The ads in question are 5 seconds long. What else are they going to show in 5 seconds to convey "type of movie"? If it was a Star Trek type movie, they're going to show a clip of an epic space battle, despite quite a low amount of screentime in a Trek movie being "epic space battles".

This isn't an indictment of the use of jumpscares, it's a result of advertisers only having a few seconds now to advertise something to you. Try and come up with a coherent 5 second advert for anything that doesn't heavily use a cliche.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 04:33:54 pm by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136727 on: August 12, 2018, 04:26:18 pm »

(Snip)
I was expecting that I'd be able to watch youtube with ads without having to brace for jumpscares every so often.

I was also expecting to post the occasional thing here and there without getting snarked at, but I guess that might be a bit much to ask.

Also, I didn't know any of that.
I'm more snarking at the movie itself and its symbolic role in the continuing downfall of human civilization than at you. Figured you might want to know just how derivative it was before trying to apply any standards of quality to the thing and its marketing.

As an aside, I've been browsing a lot of ASMR videos on YouTube lately. A sudden, twice-as-loud-as-the-video screeching of canned electronica drawing inspiration from both Psycho and Kill Bill as well as television static as the latest Mountain Dew advert unexpectedly pops in, well... It's not generally as relaxing or calming an experience as one might hope. So I kinda get where you're coming from.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #136728 on: August 12, 2018, 04:28:19 pm »

Discovered the weenus and the flagina are parts of the body.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #136729 on: August 12, 2018, 04:35:51 pm »

relevant

film critic

And here I thought I was naive.

But snarking at the idea of film critics and relevance going together, it was just a complaint in video form. Depending on how fresh or deep the injury is, the response to said injury may not be especially coherent.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136730 on: August 12, 2018, 04:40:03 pm »

It was an example of that rare phenomenon, a good jumpscare, if you ask me:

Spoiler: amateur dissection (click to show/hide)

Even if it didn't work for you, a huge amount of thought and effort has been put into that bit, and I'd say it's very fine indeed. It certainly upset AzyWing and the youtuber they linked, perhaps more than a simple jumpscare normally would. I wouldn't watch that trailer late at night.

For a spinoff horror sequel, it was a very well made trailer. On the basis of that shot, I'm going to see the film. And I pretty much never watch horror films.
One wheel short of a wagon

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136731 on: August 12, 2018, 04:48:15 pm »

relevant

film critic

And here I thought I was naive.

But snarking at the idea of film critics and relevance going together, it was just a complaint in video form. Depending on how fresh or deep the injury is, the response to said injury may not be especially coherent.

Yeah the film critic thing was snark, but the main point was that in a complaint about how bad, outdated and cliched a piece of film is, the evidence presented was an even worse, more poorly made and cliched piece of film - the shoddily made youtube video ... which is an amusing juxtaposition.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136732 on: August 12, 2018, 04:50:13 pm »

There is precisely one "good" jumpscare, and it's the TV closet scene from Signs.

It's one thing to do something unexpected and surprise people with "Wow, that was unexpected!", but it's something entirely different to expressly lay out what is going to happen, and then that thing happens and you still surprise people with it.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #136733 on: August 12, 2018, 04:54:11 pm »

(Snip)

My username is like a blind guy. A distinct lack of is.

When I said trailer, I guess I really meant advertisement.

I happened to look up the trailer out of curiosity, skipped to the end, and did see the scene you were talking about.

But that wasn't what I was talking about. Like I said, when I said "trailer" I really meant advertisements. The five-second ones that appear before or during Youtube videos.

I can't link to any of them since they're ads and I can't find any recordings, but I can give a description of the two I've seen so far.

1: A shot of a somewhat dark, but empty hallway. After a few seconds, a Windows Vista loading icon (the one of the circle with the little spark in it swirling around, that replaces your mouse cursor) shows up for a few seconds, before the face of the titular Nun appears. Then the movie reveal (the part where they say the movie's title, show release dates, etc.), and the ad ends.

2: A shot of a black screen with a Volume icon similar to an iPhone's volume icon. The volume lowers a few notches, then increases. Then Nun Jumpscare happens. The movie reveal, and the ad ends.

Your dissection suggests there is was a good deal of planning and forethought into making the end of the trailer's jumpscare scary.

However, I see none of that in the advertisements I saw.

If the forethought present in the trailer jumpscare is present throughout the movie, then the ad jumpscare fails to properly express that.

If the forethought present in the trailer jumpscare is not present throughout the movie, then... Well, the ad jumpscare doesn't really explain a whole lot. Just elicits a reaction more than anything else.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #136734 on: August 12, 2018, 05:02:33 pm »

Oh, right, five second ads. Yeah, sorry, I was thinking about the wrong thing.

You're right, five second jumpscare ads are just a dick move. Youtube should probably do something about non-optional content specifically designed to frighten users.

Watching something like that while alone on a dark winter's day would be a real bummer.
One wheel short of a wagon

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136735 on: August 12, 2018, 06:38:00 pm »

I think we can all agree those 5 second ads or any ads in youtube for that matter are fucking disgusting. If I want ads interrupting the video I'm seeing I go watch tv. I could condone they putting ads on the website perse, on the videos, is heinous.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136736 on: August 12, 2018, 06:45:51 pm »

I'm far more plussed by the ad that has the man and woman wearing the knitted two-person underwear thrusting into eachother. I see it, cause apparently adblock is powerless against high calibre super ads like this one, and every time I'm left thinking "What series of actions of mine have convinced the google adbots that I want to see this shit?", it's truly mysterious.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136737 on: August 12, 2018, 07:21:18 pm »

Pretty sure the last jumpscare I saw was in the intro to The IT Crowd.
Every. Damn. Time.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136738 on: August 12, 2018, 07:41:04 pm »

Next up is the same thing but with the youtube buffering thing and a black screen until the nun

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #136739 on: August 12, 2018, 07:47:32 pm »

Speaking of YouTube, a man decided to post a video of him and two friends driving over 100mph on a country road in Britain, and consequently got arrested, fined, and their driving licenses revoked.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that someone who thinks driving that fast is a good idea is an idiot, but wow anyway.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 9114 9115 [9116] 9117 9118 ... 10973