Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9132 9133 [9134] 9135 9136 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12998194 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #136995 on: August 20, 2018, 06:10:05 pm »

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136996 on: August 20, 2018, 06:42:05 pm »

Found maggots in one of the kitchen cabinets. Noticed them in a can of drink mix I was about to make. While he was pulling things out to examine them for more maggots, my stepdad put a bag containing rice(and maggots) on top of what I was drinking out of(the last of the previous drink I was about to refill).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #136997 on: August 20, 2018, 09:37:31 pm »

Im at a big theme park because my boss gave everyone the day off and free tickets to go, and, im bored. I came alone, and nothing sounds fun and everything makes me feel like a super awkard loser like i dont want to get on any of the rides, alone, or even stand in line, or buy lunch or anything. I dont even know why i came at this point. I still get a paid day off even if i went home. And now i feel like ive just wasted the companys money for no good reason

learning to enjoy things solo is honestly a life skill. I wish I had known such earlier, cause it's actually pretty hard to learn. That said, I will admit a theme park is probably one of the most difficult to enjoy alone and not feel awkward.
Also, don't ever feel like you are wasting your companies money. Your company is wasting parts of your life. In general, a feeling of loyalty or responsibility to a company is only ever going to be one sided (Unless your company is super, super small) and will be a nasty surprise if the company finds you incontinent to them. Don't feel bad for those shits.

Solution to your lunch problem. Order 3 of something at once, so they assume you are ordering for a family, then just go hide and eat it all yourself. What could go wrong?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136998 on: August 20, 2018, 10:18:51 pm »

omg, this is the response from the head of the political party in Australia (a very minor one btw) after his senator used the term "final solution to the immigration problem"

He also claimed the senator had “absolutely no idea” the term was used in Nazi Germany.

“He didn’t get to a university to know the significance of all these words,” Katter said. “He’s smart, but he hasn’t read all the history books. He doesn’t know what any of this means. And nor will he spend any time finding out.

Just. fucking. great. We don't need no book learnin' getting in the way of running the country.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 10:28:18 pm by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #136999 on: August 20, 2018, 10:24:30 pm »

Ah, I see that they're learning something from trump.
Just say whatever, then later claim that what you said didn't mean what you said.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137000 on: August 20, 2018, 10:31:14 pm »

Ah, I see that they're learning something from trump.
Just say whatever, then later claim that what you said didn't mean what you said.

Nah, Bob Katter, the head of that party isn't really a conservative, he's just batshit insane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ih1EuMLspY

You heard him: gay people can do whatever they like, but he won't spend a second on the gay marriage debate, because it won't stop the crocodiles. The crocodiles are coming, like some sort of zombie outbreak and the cityfolk with their fancy lattes and book learnin' won't be able to stop them.

So, while the senator made a really awful "bring back whiteness" speech which referenced the "final solution" to there being non-whites here, the leader is just a redneck loony, prone to sudden tone shifts and non-sequiters. Hence his "he doesn't know the history ... nor does he intend to waste a second finding out" thing. Katter just segues into this weird shit. The area he comes from is like Australia's equivalent of Mississippi.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 10:41:48 pm by Reelya »

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137001 on: August 20, 2018, 10:40:00 pm »

What are you talking about? Katter will deal with the catcrocsplosions.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137002 on: August 20, 2018, 10:43:04 pm »

#croclivesmatter
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #137003 on: August 21, 2018, 12:13:30 am »

adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137004 on: August 21, 2018, 12:55:51 am »

I read this one on the local news, but then went "oh it's America" and it made sense:

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/mum-pleads-for-cheaper-insulin-as-son-dies-after-rationing-expensive-diabetes-drug/news-story/e49bf150bb336fdeecb0e903580ac528

The US man’s 26th birthday became a death sentence last year, as he could no longer afford to buy the insulin he needed to live and treat his diabetes, Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported.

An autopsy determined he died from diabetic ketoacidosis caused by a critical shortage of insulin, which he reportedly tried to ration because of the exorbitant cost per month.
Smith’s insulin refills cost $US1300 ($A1770), something he couldn’t afford as a restaurant manager.
Between 2002 and 2013, the price of insulin per millilitre rose by 197 per cent, from $4.34 per millilitre to $12.92 per millilitre, according to a 2016 study.
Unlike most countries, the US doesn’t limit what drug companies can charge for medicine.

Hey, that's the free market for you, the market decided you don't get to live, dude.

Demand for insulin doesn't go up and down, it's a fixed demand. Being able to price gouge people for that isn't right.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 12:59:04 am by Reelya »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137005 on: August 21, 2018, 01:04:27 am »

I read this one on the local news, but then went "oh it's America" and it made sense:

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/mum-pleads-for-cheaper-insulin-as-son-dies-after-rationing-expensive-diabetes-drug/news-story/e49bf150bb336fdeecb0e903580ac528

The US man’s 26th birthday became a death sentence last year, as he could no longer afford to buy the insulin he needed to live and treat his diabetes, Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported.

An autopsy determined he died from diabetic ketoacidosis caused by a critical shortage of insulin, which he reportedly tried to ration because of the exorbitant cost per month.
Smith’s insulin refills cost $US1300 ($A1770), something he couldn’t afford as a restaurant manager.
Between 2002 and 2013, the price of insulin per millilitre rose by 197 per cent, from $4.34 per millilitre to $12.92 per millilitre, according to a 2016 study.
Unlike most countries, the US doesn’t limit what drug companies can charge for medicine.

Hey, that's the free market for you, the market decided you don't get to live, dude.

Demand for insulin doesn't go up and down, it's a fixed demand. Being able to price gouge people for that isn't right.
And that is why I have decidedly mixed views on freedom.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137006 on: August 21, 2018, 01:06:06 am »

Exploding crocodiles definitely seems like a danger that should be addressed though.  Or weaponised.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #137007 on: August 21, 2018, 02:05:14 am »

Exploding crocodiles definitely seems like a danger that should be addressed though.  Or weaponised.
I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a explosive crocodile that blows your house up!
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137008 on: August 21, 2018, 05:28:59 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:18:57 pm by dragdeler »
let

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137009 on: August 21, 2018, 05:52:27 am »

The whole concept of offer and demand is but a highly superstitious model. I know no store that alters their price when two customers both want the last can

That's not how it works. Take a look at when there's a big storm that wipes out some fruit crop, the store prices shoot up in response. But prices do fall again when bananas are more plentiful. The idea that shops will always just charge high prices no matter what the wholesale cost is, isn't true.

You can do the math to prove it. Say you have an equation for how many units you'll sell at a certain price, something like 100/sqrt(x) where x = the dollar price (assume the minimum price is $1). So your revenue will be x * 100/sqrt(x), and you can find which price maximizes the profit. But now, add in a cost "y" per unit. You can now work out what price you should be charging for any given y. And as y goes up and down, the optimal value of x also goes up and down.

So no, shops could refuse to pass on reductions in the wholesale price, but it would be stupid to do so, because if you don't pass on cost reductions from your supplier, you make less money. This is why businesses that stay in business do in fact alter their prices based on supply and demand - they out-compete the ones that refuse to do so. Passing on changes in the wholesale price is provably more profitable and therefore the common sense thing to do.

However, the point was something like insulin doesn't have demand that changes in response to market price, so they can get away with gouging in that situation.

That's why allowing the "market" to charge high prices for insulin is bad, whereas trying to have government price-fixing for bananas is bad.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 06:03:17 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 9132 9133 [9134] 9135 9136 ... 10973