Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9134 9135 [9136] 9137 9138 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12998711 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #137025 on: August 22, 2018, 03:04:35 am »

Do you wear a sea shepherd beanie around most places?
I mean, I can't think of anyone who would be particularly against it, but heck.
I can. You wear that onto the Faroe islands, you're getting kicked out again. Sea Shepherd is registered as a harmful terrorist organization there.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137026 on: August 22, 2018, 03:21:55 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:23:24 pm by dragdeler »
let

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137027 on: August 22, 2018, 03:45:30 am »

I can. You wear that onto the Faroe islands, you're getting kicked out again. Sea Shepherd is registered as a harmful terrorist organization there.

The vast majority of Faroese exports, almost 95%, consists of fishery products

Yeah that makes sense.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137028 on: August 22, 2018, 04:30:39 am »

One thing is fishery exports, but the Faroese also have the traditional Grindadrap, which is when they corral and kill pilot whales for meat, which is then distributed among the populace in a community effort.

The meat is strictly forbidden from being sold or used for commercial purposes, the pilot whale populations are carefully monitored to make sure they're not being endangered by the practice, and the whales themselves are carefully handled to try and make the ordeal as humane as possible. After all, if the whales disappear, they're not only losing out on a centuries-old tradition that's held very dear to most Faroese, but also an important source of food. The Faroe islands are hilariously unsuited to pretty much any kind of farming, so really the only other thing they've got is the sheep which are too few and too valuable as an export for the Faroese themselves to eat.

But no, they're actually all crass, thick-skulled barbarians who murder "the famous and intelligent Calderon dolphins" (not an actual animal) for sport and glory. As such, they've been very popular targets for groups like Sea Shepherd, Greenpeace and PETA. Eventually they got fed up with Sea Shepherd coming in and vandalizing public and private property and harassing people, so they were registered as a terrorist organization and any direct affiliation with the group will land you an immediate deportation.

A few of you might actually remember the Calderon dolphin thing, it was this viral email thingy that was making the rounds a long time ago. I think the original, horribly written and completely nonfactual website is still up and running...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137029 on: August 22, 2018, 04:53:22 am »

I have it on good authority that the Calderon dolphin hunters are all located in a mysterious farmhouse in Potswin, Kansas.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137030 on: August 22, 2018, 05:56:18 am »

Potwin.  Not Potswin. :P

Also, I live in that general neck of the flyoverland USA. No dolphin anywhere to be found. Clearly these are itinerant dolphin hunters.

Personally, I would suggest that if you are targeting this area, that you point the finger at the Kochs instead, as they are the resident evil billionaires, ready and willing to prove their evil devotion to the god of mammon, but that's just me. :P

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137031 on: August 22, 2018, 06:18:39 am »

Well, it's basically the only beanie I own (I've no idea where the other two are and they don't fit my head nicely anyway) and my bad hair day stretched into a bad hair week which is currently well on its way to becoming a bad hair month, so... yeah I've been wearing it everywhere lately. :P

I would be rather shocked to another anyone disapproving of it. Not that I personally care all that much about the whales (I mean, we routinely do far worse things to animals right here on land, but that's another story), but I admire the 'Shepherds for the way they risk life and limb, defying the law for what they believe in.

BTW Yoink, Aldi sells 6 round crumpets for $1.
Aldi scares me. Thanks for the tip, though!
Not sure where the nearest one is... I know I used to pass one on my way to work, but that was a few suburbs away.

PSA: crumpets are indeed still as fukken delicious as I remember them being. Perhaps even moreso! The brand of jam I chose to accompany them may have something to do with it, too.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #137032 on: August 22, 2018, 07:34:49 am »

I didn't know the Shepherd did things in the Atlantic, I thought it usually habitated the Indian and Pacific Ocean. To be honest I didn't think they were still around at all, though I did assume they'd have been replaced my lesser famous activists of similar goals and maybe even means.

Is Aldi the German store? I'm highly biased against them (German stores) since back when my brother worked at Lidl. Horrible businesses. I avoid them whenever I can.
Love, scriver~

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137033 on: August 22, 2018, 09:59:39 am »

PETA is more annoying anyways.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137034 on: August 22, 2018, 10:43:16 am »

Possibly more annoying, but when it comes to vigilante activism the shepherds are up there.
Apparently they got curtailed quite hard back in 2016 though.

Also weren't PETA the ones found to be 'rescuing' dogs from poor living conditions and then immediately putting them down?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137035 on: August 22, 2018, 10:47:02 am »

Also weren't PETA the ones found to be 'rescuing' dogs from poor living conditions and then immediately putting them down?
Dogs, cats, everything. Including "rescuing" from the porches and yards of people who weren't treating them poorly. 98% average kill rate across all PETA-operated shelters.

Because, as per PETA ethos, it's morally better to put an animal down than to allow it to live a life of "slavery" as someone's pet.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #137036 on: August 22, 2018, 10:52:40 am »

The 'E' in their title shares no relationship with Ethics as we know it.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137037 on: August 22, 2018, 11:39:00 am »

PETA is just team plasma, except less ethical, and more comical

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137038 on: August 22, 2018, 11:39:21 am »

"People" for "Ethical" "Treatment" of "Animals".

The public (i.e people) does not like PETA that much.
What they are doing is not ethical at all.
They mostly euthanize animals instead of treating them.
They also protest against players being able to abuse animals in a video game (not real animals and just some data).

The only words that are true are "for" and "of".
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137039 on: August 22, 2018, 01:20:39 pm »

If I had to describe myself, it'd be a anthrocentric environmentalist; We should keep the world safe and abundant so that we don't fuckin' die. (Personally, I'm of the opinion we should mass-exodus into space and leave Earth to the Sentinelese, the Amish, and nature.)

Greenpeace, PETA, Sea Shepherd, they're all hypocrites who either directly harm who they claim to protect (PETA, as above) or indirectly harm it by turning public opinion against their cause by being too extremist and hurting people.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 9134 9135 [9136] 9137 9138 ... 10974