Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9414 9415 [9416] 9417 9418 ... 9795

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 5341236 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #141225 on: August 28, 2018, 02:01:34 am »

A Facebook friend who I met in a meme group is asking me if I want to get into the dog chews business. ???
Somehow Yoink looks as much a pirate as the man dressed as one. Probably even has rum stashed near him somewhere
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • That is a wing not a ponytail.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141226 on: August 28, 2018, 02:08:08 am »

Doesn't pet treats have all the health and processing requirements of human food?  I guess maybe you can use cheaper ingredients while still charging the same amount, but I never understood the reasoning why folks would produce pet food over human food when all the sanitation requirements are identical, seems like you'd have a bigger market making people food.  Then again I'm no economist, so I may be very wrong.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141227 on: August 28, 2018, 02:34:02 am »

It's about supply vs demand.

Say it was more profitable to make "human food" so some of the raw materials gets diverted to that. Then, there's more supply in the human food market and there's downward pressure on prices since there's an oversupply compared to baseload demand. This makes it less profitable, so the pendulum swings the other way.

No matter how much demand there is for pet food vs human food then, amounts of raw materials will be allocated until it hits an equilibrium where profitability makes no difference to which one you make - since if there was a profit difference, resources would shift in that direction.

For example, say "ham for dogs" and "ham for humans" are identical products, but people are willing to pay $6 for ham-for-dogs vs $12 for a ham-for-humans (at current supply rates). Then, someone invariably says "dammit why are we even making 'ham for dogs', let's relabel it as 'ham for humans'". This process continues and the difference in profit margins will disappear completely over time, and likely, the "ham for dogs" product would just vanish since being dogfood had negative connotations which reduced the price, so it's always better to make less of it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 02:42:53 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • I have a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #141228 on: August 28, 2018, 02:36:01 am »

Meat scraps are like 99% cheaper and there's lots of kinds of meat and fish that humans won't eat out of habit and custom, and trawlers don't give a damn about what fish it nets.
Love, scriver~

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141229 on: August 28, 2018, 03:25:43 am »

I think the whole Virtual Youtuber craze has gone a bit too far: Introducing Virtual Abused Housewife Reiko.

I don't know what's more wtf, that this is a thing, or that she already has 25,000 subscribers after a single ~3 minute video.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141230 on: August 28, 2018, 04:51:04 am »

Virtual Youtuber craze?

What?

What?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #141231 on: August 28, 2018, 05:11:57 am »

I have a big red cut across my wrist from dropping a box of cat food at work. I tried to catch it with my wrists.

I once sliced my palm wide open with an ear of corn. I'll wait while you figure out how. O.o

The sharp part at the non-pointy end?

Pretty much. Turns out corn stalks are very stiff and often break in long triangular cross-sectioned pieces that are functionally weird weak knives.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141232 on: August 28, 2018, 05:18:50 am »

I have a big red cut across my wrist from dropping a box of cat food at work. I tried to catch it with my wrists.

I once sliced my palm wide open with an ear of corn. I'll wait while you figure out how. O.o

The sharp part at the non-pointy end?

Pretty much. Turns out corn stalks are very stiff and often break in long triangular cross-sectioned pieces that are functionally weird weak knives.

Not really related, but this just reminds me of one time I was playing as a botanist in SS13, and I'd sharpened a bunch of carrots into shivs before putting them on the public counter right outside hydroponics.

Of course, this is usually where botanists put food to feed the crew since the chef either doesn't exist or isn't doing his job... So people would come by, see "carrots", and attempt to feed themselves by... Repeatedly stabbing their faces with the shivs.

I'm surprised I didn't get in more trouble for that... I honestly didn't even consider that people would think they were food.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141233 on: August 28, 2018, 05:24:53 am »

That sort of road madness isn't such a thing in Ireland. You're supposed to thank other drivers for letting you past by doing a mini wave with whichever fingers can be stuck up from the steering wheel. You're also supposed to wave politely to people who let you cros the street. This happens enough for there to be waving rules, which goes to say a lot. There's a sort of... Communication between drivers that you get mentally used to.
I don't actually drive though, I take the train into town.

RELEVANT QUESTION: Are electric scooters legal to drive in cycling lanes??

Fuck no!

And no skateboards, skates, scoot-by-footers, or segways in the pedestrian lane! Find a cycle lane or get on the road with the other vehicle, you lazy fuck! *Involuntary old man mode engaged*
With electric scooter I meant one of these, not an actual motorbike

I was inquiring of Imic because I need to know the Ireland status quo
I recently became a objectivist, I am reasonably certain that means all my opinions are now universal fact.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • I have a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #141234 on: August 28, 2018, 05:45:31 am »

That's an electric scoot-by-footer, goes on bicycle lanes or with the other vehicles in the street. Next!
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141235 on: August 28, 2018, 05:48:46 am »

That's an electric scoot-by-footer, goes on bicycle lanes or with the other vehicles in the street. Next!
I know there's been a lot of confusion with the whole Brexit ordeal, but I'm reasonably certain that Sweden still isn't part of Ireland.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • I have a nice hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #141236 on: August 28, 2018, 05:52:18 am »

I recently became a objectivist, I am reasonably certain that means all my opinions are now universal fact.

Speaking of which. The liberal party is literally running on making all immigrants debt-slaves this year (election in like a few weeks). One step closer to cyberpunk!
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141237 on: August 28, 2018, 06:27:39 am »

I'm sigging this
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Th4DwArfY1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #141238 on: August 28, 2018, 06:29:39 am »

Need a square bracket at the start there
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  Th4DwArfY1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141239 on: August 28, 2018, 06:42:14 am »

dang. fixed
Pages: 1 ... 9414 9415 [9416] 9417 9418 ... 9795