Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9195 9196 [9197] 9198 9199 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997140 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #137940 on: September 14, 2018, 06:43:22 am »

fenugreek is used in a LOT of mediteranean and indian (from india) cuisine.  It is a bit different than the other two, but closely related flavor.

vegemite/marmite are yeast extractives with glutamate receptor triggering compounds that have strong umami flavor profiles. They might be tricky because they tend to be a bit too salty. But a little goes a long way.

Your subjective butt-talking makes me take you less seriously.  I on the other hand, can totally back both statements up, and will, just because. :P

https://rawspicebar.com/blogs/spices-101/fenugreek-substitute

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/umami

Quote from: From science direct article above, RE: marmite/vegemite as umami boosting additive
4.16.6.1.6 Nucleotides

Five years after the discovery of MSG as an umami taste, Kodama, who was a senior pupil of Ikeda, found that inosine 5′-monophosphate (IMP) was an umami-tasting constituent of dried bonito, which has also been used for soup stock in Japan and East Asia. Kuninaka. further studied umami-tasting substances and found that guanosine 5′-monophosphate (GMP) obtained by the enzymatic hydrolysis of yeast RNA had an intense umami taste. GMP was also found as a constituent of dried mushrooms (Cortinellus shiitake) cultivated in Japan. Among natural nucleotides, umami-tasting compounds are 5′-nucleotides with purine as a nucleic acid base, such as IMP, GMP, and AMP. Mononucleotides with phosphate at the 2′- or 3′-position do not elicit an umami taste. Nucleosides and purine bases also do not give a savory taste. The relationship between the nucleotide structure and the intensity of umami was extensively studied. As described in Section 4.16.6.1.1, it was confirmed that IMP and GMP have synergistic action with MSG and therefore these nucleotides are used with MSG as seasonings. Both IMP and GMP are industrially produced by enzymatic transformation and fermentation technology. Interestingly, the umami taste increases in stored meat and fish compared to very fresh food. It is thought that ATP present in the meat is transformed to IMP through AMP.

Proving that it has flavour isn't proving that the flavour isn't that of the Devil's trickling ballsweat on a particularly humid day.  I could probably link you to a study on the exact chemical compounds that make up the earthy, occasionally bitter taste of a cowpat, it would still taste like fenugreek (and vice versa) :D.

Now, on to more pleasant discussion - Where are my Sumac bros? Give me a whoop whoop for Sumac!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137941 on: September 14, 2018, 06:47:16 am »

Now, on to more pleasant discussion - Where are my Sumac bros? Give me a whoop whoop for Sumac!
...The band?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137942 on: September 14, 2018, 06:50:50 am »

...The band?

...no. The spice that gives life all of its meaning.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #137943 on: September 14, 2018, 06:58:11 am »

I've become a coffee snob, send help. I had a mug of filter coffee from a café and found myself criticising the blend instead of just enjoying the coffee. ;_;

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137944 on: September 14, 2018, 07:04:32 am »

I've become a coffee snob, send help. I had a mug of filter coffee from a café and found myself criticising the blend instead of just enjoying the coffee. ;_;

You're not a snob. Italian espresso style coffee is the real deal. Filter coffee is just extra-thick tea. They're basically two different things.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137945 on: September 14, 2018, 07:07:07 am »

Just had Clive Palmer pop up in a Youtube ad telling me how he's building a new coal mine. WTF. Bit of a mood killer...

* Yoink nods sympathetically before taking another swig of International Roast.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137946 on: September 14, 2018, 07:07:37 am »

Vietnamese sweetened iced coffee (cà phê sữa đá) tastes like coffee liqueur.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137947 on: September 14, 2018, 07:07:56 am »

You're not a snob. Italian espresso style coffee is the real deal. Filter coffee is just extra-thick tea. They're basically two different things.

You take that back!  Coffee is nothing like tea in any form!  It's awful, bitter black tar for soulless automata, while tea is a delicate and thoughtful brew for people of discernment and distinction.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #137948 on: September 14, 2018, 07:09:41 am »

I don't drink tea or coffee.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #137949 on: September 14, 2018, 07:12:24 am »

Black coffe is best coffe. Fight me.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137950 on: September 14, 2018, 07:14:06 am »

I don't drink tea or coffee.
...Not even mushroom tea? :P   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #137951 on: September 14, 2018, 07:15:44 am »

I tend to shy away from coffee, as I've been slapped with pulsating anxiety a couple times when imbibing.

Not sure why, though... I mean, I drink tea occasionally, and I never take the bag out, so I should be getting plenty of caffeine that way. I also sometimes reuse the bag for a second cup, just in case anyone thought I had a shred of civilization in me.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137952 on: September 14, 2018, 07:23:47 am »

I also sometimes reuse the bag for a second cup...

We move further from god's light every day.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #137953 on: September 14, 2018, 07:26:35 am »

There is no objective superiority of espresso over filter, it's just (unsurprisingly) better in espresso-based preparations like flat whites and so on. Filter provides a cleaner, more objective flavour of the blend, which is great and I've had some lovely cups of filter, but it doesn't flatter a mediocre blend at all.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #137954 on: September 14, 2018, 07:29:20 am »

Y'know, this makes me wonder if you could make a people-muzzle that locks up on detecting the smell of coffee. Probably not the help you're looking for but it'd stop you from drinking coffee.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 9195 9196 [9197] 9198 9199 ... 10973