Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9215 9216 [9217] 9218 9219 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13164078 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #138240 on: September 22, 2018, 10:17:58 am »

Foster Family Lottery is increasingly a bad game to play.

The good ones, who can Orphan Annie it up, will end up in some spinstress' home though; some rich couple with no children of their own can adopt a lucky and well-groomed kid.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #138241 on: September 22, 2018, 10:24:00 am »

You do that on the wrong right day I might just smack the phone out of your hand. Don't call social services. Either they pass and kid's gonna reap all the resentment... Or either they don't and the kid gets sucked up by the burocratic process where every employee just ditches responsability onto their peers all day long - only to play foster family lottery.

The choices were that or that plus assault charges. So. You know.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138242 on: September 22, 2018, 10:36:48 am »

You do that on the wrong right day I might just smack the phone out of your hand. Don't call social services. Either they pass and kid's gonna reap all the resentment... Or either they don't and the kid gets sucked up by the burocratic process where every employee just ditches responsability onto their peers all day long - only to play foster family lottery.

The choices were that or that plus assault charges. So. You know.

I agree. I feel like when you witness a child literally dragged through a parking lot by their hair and then literally flung into a car by said hair, responsibility to intervene wins out over the uncomfortable feeling of bearing responsibility for the results.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138243 on: September 22, 2018, 10:43:26 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:37:57 pm by dragdeler »
let

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138244 on: September 22, 2018, 10:56:40 am »

I mean, I've been personally involved in multiple child abuse cases. All of them ended up with the abuser if not being convicted then the child being removed from their custody. In some cases I've been in a position to follow up, and all of those ended up somewhere better.

That's not to say that there are no horror stories, or that there's no risk putting a child through the system. Based on my own experience, you do have a better chance of ending up in a better situation than when you started. Here's a good article that touches on the good and bad.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dawn-teo/the-10-most-surprising-things-about-foster-care_b_7058474.html

I will say that fistfighting the abuser will most likely end up with them being labeled the victim, so either call the police or really fuck em up something proper really just call the police or make an anonymous tip.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138245 on: September 22, 2018, 11:08:20 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:37:48 pm by dragdeler »
let

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138246 on: September 22, 2018, 11:27:45 am »

Yeah don't get me wrong I don't doubt that people abuse the system in that way and others, but that doesn't equate to "witness clear physical abuse, do not report" (which I think we agree on).

I also would encourage extreme caution when reporting domestic issues like the one cited by Drag. As an outsider, it's very hard to be sure if you are watching abuse or a parent reacting to the fact that the older sibling just dangled their younger brother off the 4th floor balcony as a dare. You do need to be sure that abuse is occurring before taking action, and that can be extremely difficult. There IS a responsibility as to the results, even if it's only a personal responsibility.

Also, if you report it as some kind of dig at a rival or neighbor you are basically on the same level of slime as that guy who killed someone with swatting.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138247 on: September 22, 2018, 11:39:19 am »

A band I liked just put out a line of shirts featuring the slogan "bet on Beto". :o
At least this happened before I spent money on their merchandise like I'd been planning to, haha.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #138248 on: September 22, 2018, 11:46:47 am »

Turns out the order wasn't processed properly or was delayed or something, got a response email this morning with the order tracker attached and everything, the damn thing got shipped on the 20th it looks like, or it might not be, kinda hard to figure out since it's all in chinese and the translation is kinda shit :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138249 on: September 22, 2018, 12:14:09 pm »

Turns out the order wasn't processed properly or was delayed or something, got a response email this morning with the order tracker attached and everything, the damn thing got shipped on the 20th it looks like, or it might not be, kinda hard to figure out since it's all in chinese and the translation is kinda shit :V

Wat did you order :[]

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138250 on: September 22, 2018, 12:19:36 pm »

A band I liked just put out a line of shirts featuring the slogan "bet on Beto". :o
At least this happened before I spent money on their merchandise like I'd been planning to, haha.

Do you dislike Beto O’Rourke or the Betoota advocate?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #138252 on: September 22, 2018, 01:43:38 pm »

I doubt that between the child and the phone she would have clicked fast enough, if you went straight past. Also there is a chance the phone might not be broken  ;D.

I listened to two hearbooks from social worker - there certainly are countries that rely heavily on expert witnesses, where you can stumble on that one angel who'll be gifted enough to even amend not totally hopeles parents when given the opportunity... But even if you are as lucky as that, those people will litteraly defend your case, in and against a swamp of mediocrity.

I'm talking about the first case, where it's hard to know all the specifics (was the person who took the child by the hand also a caretaker in a broader sense, what was her relation to the abusive woman etc.). Throwing somebody into a car, presumably by the hair,  is an extremely serious matter even among adults, sadly you will have to resort to calling the police if you have any kind of civil courage, because with that level of escalation, the safest you can be is with violence monopoly of the state, which is especially awful if you're in the US. Hans's dad was extremly lucky I'd say.

I think you misunderstood me a tad. There was security already on scene, who had called the police on the woman. My dad was unaware and physically intervened, and the security guard then cautioned him to avoid my father receiving charges. There was zero chance of her getting out of it, and my dad wasn't in any legal danger, unless he'd proceeded to striking her.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138253 on: September 22, 2018, 03:14:57 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:41:49 pm by dragdeler »
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #138254 on: September 22, 2018, 06:19:33 pm »

Today I learned there's a grisha book trilogy.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 9215 9216 [9217] 9218 9219 ... 10983