Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9449 9450 [9451] 9452 9453 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997114 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #141750 on: January 14, 2019, 04:52:10 am »

But that would also provide an incentive for low-income families to produce considerably more children than they'd ever be able to support, resulting in overpopulation and strain on resources.
Nonsense. A slave free market would self regulate, thanks to the laws of supply and demand. If there was a surplus of slave children, the price per slave (PPS) would drop, hence driving down slave children production (SCP). Also the extra income for those low income family would facilitate upwards social mobility, and further economic development as said newly affluent citizens sought to buy slaves of their own, thus resulting in the wealth trickling down through society
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141751 on: January 14, 2019, 04:58:02 am »

On a slight tangent, I just confirmed that "Stone's 'Ginger Joe' ginger beer" does not, in fact, have anything to do with Stone breweries.

I always thought it was a teensy bit lacking in attitude for a Stone product... But yeah, Stone and Stone's are apparently two entirely different and unrelated companies.

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141752 on: January 14, 2019, 05:27:03 am »

resulting in the wealth trickling down through society
Ha

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141753 on: January 14, 2019, 05:50:35 am »

It's amusing. I was trying to think of any other situation in nature where one organism gives 'startup nutrients' to another organism, and in return is fed off the growth of the would-be parasite, growing larger itself.
There isn't many which aren't straight-up parasitic.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #141754 on: January 14, 2019, 05:54:39 am »

Lichens are a bit like that, but it's not really a win for the algae. Also, the entire system tends to reproduce at once, so I suppose for the most part it's not really that the lichen gives the fungus a kick-start, although the fungus does need the lichen to survive.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141755 on: January 14, 2019, 07:57:08 am »

Economies of scale!

Also, think of the benefits!

1) Children will learn that high sugar content is their enemy, because high blood glucose charges the shock system more efficiently. This will greatly assist with combating juvenile obesity! WIN!

2) The implanted array needs significantly less electrical power to deliver the shock because it is beneath the subcutaneous fat layer, and has much lower resistance it needs to overcome to do its job.  This is not only more environmentally conscious, it also is less likely to cause burns, which is what those child coddling CPS idiots are all about really.

3) You can control your child with a smartphone!

4) Things like the Kent State tragedy could be prevented entirely, as campus security could simply activate the shock systems to suppress the little upstarts!

Really, It really is the better option. :P

I heard somewhere that a person's adult sexuality is determined in the earliest formative years. So you have these shock chips in the kids, and then 20 years later, you have a curiously large amount of people that identify as "Masochistic Electrosexuals" because nothing else arouses them.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #141756 on: January 14, 2019, 08:15:40 am »

Can't have upward social mobility without downward social mobility.

Well, I mean, you can certainly have more of the latter than the former. As for whether both those things can exist in anywhere near equal amounts...

Well, I’m hardly a sociologist, but I can’t help but think that seems too optimistic.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #141757 on: January 14, 2019, 08:26:15 am »

Well no, because social status is relative - if social mobility goes upward for some people then it also goes down for the top people simply by them not being as far above the rest as they was before
Love, scriver~

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #141758 on: January 14, 2019, 09:20:41 am »

Unless they go upwards as well  :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141759 on: January 14, 2019, 11:05:51 am »

In an RPG/WTF crossover, I was informed that some Japanese lady said I should only own 30 books at most.

People are rules-lawyering as hard as they can by saying electronic versions of products don't count. One family went to GameStop and turned all of their console games into Steam cards. Yeah, sure. That's exactly the message you were trying to follow. Everything else this random lady that Netflix decided they liked is treated as gospel.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #141760 on: January 14, 2019, 11:10:31 am »

Turning console games into Steam cards sounds like a great idea. Everyone should do it.

Only 30 books sounds like something a crazy person would say though. Counting digital, I have literally thousands.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141761 on: January 14, 2019, 11:20:50 am »

Turning console games into Steam cards sounds like a great idea. Everyone should do it.

Until you realize you're lugging several hundreds of $CURRENCY worth of console exclusives to GameStop and turning them into $A_YARD_AND_A_HALF of Steam monies.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141762 on: January 14, 2019, 11:25:08 am »

Also something-something DRM.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141763 on: January 14, 2019, 01:01:23 pm »

Not to mention that a great many console titles simply aren't available through Steam or any other (legal) service.

Yes, emulation exists, but not everything emulates equally. Better to stick with your consoles when practical.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #141764 on: January 14, 2019, 01:12:46 pm »

Funny story: as a child I had a pirate clone of Nintendo which actually had Tengen tetris rather than Nintendo tetris. I only learned that Nintendo standard tetris was different (and inferior) recently
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 9449 9450 [9451] 9452 9453 ... 10973