Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9719 9720 [9721] 9722 9723 ... 9851

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 5417791 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #145800 on: January 14, 2019, 11:05:51 am »

In an RPG/WTF crossover, I was informed that some Japanese lady said I should only own 30 books at most.

People are rules-lawyering as hard as they can by saying electronic versions of products don't count. One family went to GameStop and turned all of their console games into Steam cards. Yeah, sure. That's exactly the message you were trying to follow. Everything else this random lady that Netflix decided they liked is treated as gospel.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #145801 on: January 14, 2019, 11:10:31 am »

Turning console games into Steam cards sounds like a great idea. Everyone should do it.

Only 30 books sounds like something a crazy person would say though. Counting digital, I have literally thousands.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145802 on: January 14, 2019, 11:20:50 am »

Turning console games into Steam cards sounds like a great idea. Everyone should do it.

Until you realize you're lugging several hundreds of $CURRENCY worth of console exclusives to GameStop and turning them into $A_YARD_AND_A_HALF of Steam monies.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #145803 on: January 14, 2019, 11:25:08 am »

Also something-something DRM.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145804 on: January 14, 2019, 01:01:23 pm »

Not to mention that a great many console titles simply aren't available through Steam or any other (legal) service.

Yes, emulation exists, but not everything emulates equally. Better to stick with your consoles when practical.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145805 on: January 14, 2019, 01:12:46 pm »

Funny story: as a child I had a pirate clone of Nintendo which actually had Tengen tetris rather than Nintendo tetris. I only learned that Nintendo standard tetris was different (and inferior) recently
I recently became a objectivist, I am reasonably certain that means all my opinions are now universal fact.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #145806 on: January 14, 2019, 01:18:12 pm »

Only 30 books sounds like something a crazy person would say though. Counting digital, I have literally thousands.
It's apparently a clutter reduction advice thing, on top of apparently being fairly misunderstood. It's less "no more than 30" and more "that's around an ideal point from a clutter standpoint, but can/should be reconsidered if books are seriously your shtick". Seems to be trying to recommend getting rid (with books, by donation or gifting or whatever) of stuff you're not actively involving yourself in.

It's also looks like it's fairly specific to physical junk, since it's about room space organization more than anything. Digital would largely, if not entirely, be irrelevant. Marie Kondo seems to be the person in question.

... incidentally, yeah, paring all your consoles down into digital would probably be less rules lawyering and more exactly on point. Console junk takes up a lot more space than your average digital game library, heh. The box, the wires, all the discs/cartridges/whatever... if you can get the same amount or near enough of enjoyment and only have the one computer to do it with, hey. There you go. Less clutter.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 01:21:53 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145807 on: January 14, 2019, 01:24:51 pm »

Entirely correct. But people who care that much about clutter are just adding to their digital clutter.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #145808 on: January 14, 2019, 01:30:35 pm »

Digital clutter basically isn't a thing, though, outside of like the horrible messes I tend to make of my desktops after a while. Doesn't take up space, doesn't mess up a room, the most it might do is take up some mental attention and even that is far more easily dealt with. You just uninstall or hide whatever you're not actively playing around with. Particularly with stuff that comes pre-organized like with steam it's just... not the same sort of mess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145809 on: January 14, 2019, 01:33:51 pm »

Or it's only an issue for nerds that hate clutter. I'm not one. Someone who hates clutter, that is. I'm a massive nerd. As the server hosting the meticulously-organized couple-hundred-GB ebook collection in my computer room attests.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #145810 on: January 14, 2019, 02:47:04 pm »

There's a lot to enjoy here.

1. A ballet dancer complaining about gay people.

2. David LaChapelle

3. "Let's slap fat people when you see them."

I'm just waiting for someone to confirm that this is a parody news site rather than a real one. It's so hard to tell these days...

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • The brochure sure didn't mention any of this shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145811 on: January 14, 2019, 05:53:28 pm »

I really hope this hasn't been edited to mess with us.

But, after checking the history of the page, this is apparently a state-owned news channel (as in, it's being operated by the government, I think).

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #145812 on: January 14, 2019, 05:56:30 pm »

But, after checking the history of the page, this is apparently a state-owned news channel (as in, it's being operated by the government, I think).
An English-language news service run by the French government? It's definitely trolling.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145813 on: January 14, 2019, 06:36:27 pm »

An English-language news service run by the French government? It's definitely trolling.

Looks like it is, in fact, an actual website.

https://www.france24.com/en/
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • The brochure sure didn't mention any of this shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145814 on: January 14, 2019, 10:34:20 pm »

Quote from: Wikipedia
France 24 is broadcast on four channels: in French, in English, in Arabic and in Spanish.

Guess that means it's multilingual trolling. Since 2009, if Wikipedia is to be believed.
Pages: 1 ... 9719 9720 [9721] 9722 9723 ... 9851