Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9498 9499 [9500] 9501 9502 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12995603 times)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142485 on: February 06, 2019, 03:13:12 am »

It's just animal carcasses, not that work unsafe. :P

Oh I don't mind the images but customers tend to be on the irrational side so it's better to be safe than sorry
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #142486 on: February 06, 2019, 04:11:33 am »

The only cool thing to ever come from the holodec is the holodoc
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142487 on: February 06, 2019, 04:54:49 am »

Big question: what happens when someone stuck on a holodeck needs to poop? Does it turn into holopoop, or what?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142488 on: February 06, 2019, 05:08:13 am »

Well...

The given methodology of its operation is "Light and gas particles are held in place and moved around with forcefields."

So, if you ate real food before you went in, and you needed to drop a big ol' duce once you were in the game--- Said duce would be suspended/contained by the forcefields while the program was running.

However, once you ended the program.... "Splat."

Needless to say, I would presume appropriate etiquette would be to go potty BEFORE going on the 10h+ immersive RPG experience, rather than sampling what the use of a 4th century pit privy was like. :P

The space janitors would thank you.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142489 on: February 06, 2019, 05:52:32 am »

But nobody poops in Star Trek. ...Except in Enterprise where it gets recycled into food since their replicators are "protein resequencers" instead of "energy-to-matter". That was one of the few episodes I actually watched.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142490 on: February 06, 2019, 06:07:23 am »

There is a one-off reference to sonic toilets in TNG.  One of the very frequent spacial anomalies made a deck lose power, trapping some people in said toilets.. It's a quick reference in a situation report that nobody questions or gives any additional time on, but I remembered it.

Sadly I can't remember which episode.  Gonna have to binge watch until I find it now.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #142491 on: February 06, 2019, 06:39:58 am »

But nobody poops in Star Trek.

We humans have evolved beyond such petty things
Love, scriver~

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #142492 on: February 06, 2019, 08:08:55 am »

I mean, you can teleport stuff in that setting. I'd just assume until otherwise informed that there's some device on the ship that's teleporting excretion either off the ship or to be utilized one way or another.

They never speak of it because whoever made the thing decided to name it the Portapoo and figured out a way to perpetually enforce the designation.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142493 on: February 06, 2019, 08:10:48 am »

Which episode is it?

Non sequitur, one of the voyager ones (and I'll admit I've not actually finished the episode, but I did read the plot summery after I stopped watching). I've been pretty disappointed with voyager in general. I watched them in order of TOS, TNG, DS9 and now Voyager. I thought ds9 was good, but I liked TNG better and was looking forward to another series like it. But voyager is really just.... Not very good. At almost anything. Which is too bad, it's got an interesting premise that COULD have made for a great show. But yeah... Nah.

Half the malfunctions of the holodeck come from the very obviously "GAN Deep learning AI" driven heuristic self-programming it does.

"Paris, 1910, along the Rhine" Is not terribly descriptive. 

Which side of the Rhine?  Do you want "right on the waterfront" or do you want to be on the street in a district that is on the waterfront?

The computer has to fill in all kinds of details, and the current best solution we have for this kind of thing is like what DeepMind does when you ask it about "Puppies".   

Yeah, there's defiantly some AI it's weird how it can sometimes do so much, and sometimes do so little, always exactly as good or as bad as they need for the technobabble. For the holodecks case it's hard to tell how much of it it is making up on the fly, and how much of it it draws from it's vast library of stored programs made by humanoid artisans. When someone asks for "Paris, 1910, along the Rhine" it might be that all it needs to do is load up the program called "Paris, 1910, along the Rhine". Really hard to tell with most requests if it's just loading a program or doing some crazy AI thinking. Federation technology is extremely inconsistent from episode to episode as well, making it even harder to figure anything out, since not everything can really work so only some of it can be true....

Big question: what happens when someone stuck on a holodeck needs to poop? Does it turn into holopoop, or what?

Holodeck tech works both with illusions, plasma in force fields and such but also teleporter/replicator tech, so it can probably just dematerialize the poop and send it back to the nebulous space where dematerialized waste normally goes, probably back into energy to be used elsewhere.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142494 on: February 06, 2019, 09:15:19 am »

I mean, you can teleport stuff in that setting. I'd just assume until otherwise informed that there's some device on the ship that's teleporting excretion either off the ship or to be utilized one way or another.

They never speak of it because whoever made the thing decided to name it the Portapoo and figured out a way to perpetually enforce the designation.

You said teleporters. Let's take that to a (not the, mind you) logical conclusion.

Federation-issue teleporter buttplugs. Plug detects feces, it gets teleported to the replicator banks. That's why the first few episodes of TNG are so awkward - takes some getting used to.

Criptfeind sort of got to it before I did. Never mind.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142495 on: February 06, 2019, 09:56:18 am »

Tonight the smell of rain mixed with some other smell (possibly soap?) and the feel of the cool tiles beneath my feet has been somehow reminding me of Bali.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #142496 on: February 06, 2019, 10:22:14 am »

WTF is wrong with Akinator's web page design? It's like someone took a mobile version, poorly optimized the script, and said, "This will be the desktop browser version!"
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142497 on: February 06, 2019, 02:17:18 pm »

moblie version is worse, not in design but in the "additions"

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142498 on: February 06, 2019, 02:38:21 pm »

Yeah they went mobile in the relatively recent past and must have just replaced the online version with the mobile one.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142499 on: February 06, 2019, 02:46:28 pm »

Not that Akinator ever had a particularly clean layout to begin with, heh...
Pages: 1 ... 9498 9499 [9500] 9501 9502 ... 10973