Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9499 9500 [9501] 9502 9503 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12996733 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142500 on: February 06, 2019, 02:51:45 pm »

they appear to have added a back button now though, so that's nice

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #142501 on: February 06, 2019, 04:06:36 pm »

I mean, you can teleport stuff in that setting. I'd just assume until otherwise informed that there's some device on the ship that's teleporting excretion either off the ship or to be utilized one way or another.

They never speak of it because whoever made the thing decided to name it the Portapoo and figured out a way to perpetually enforce the designation.

You said teleporters. Let's take that to a (not the, mind you) logical conclusion.

Federation-issue teleporter buttplugs. Plug detects feces, it gets teleported to the replicator banks. That's why the first few episodes of TNG are so awkward - takes some getting used to.

Criptfeind sort of got to it before I did. Never mind.
Do you guys want JK Rowling?  Because this is how you get JK Rowling.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142502 on: February 06, 2019, 05:04:13 pm »

I mean, you can teleport stuff in that setting. I'd just assume until otherwise informed that there's some device on the ship that's teleporting excretion either off the ship or to be utilized one way or another.

They never speak of it because whoever made the thing decided to name it the Portapoo and figured out a way to perpetually enforce the designation.

You said teleporters. Let's take that to a (not the, mind you) logical conclusion.

Federation-issue teleporter buttplugs. Plug detects feces, it gets teleported to the replicator banks. That's why the first few episodes of TNG are so awkward - takes some getting used to.

Criptfeind sort of got to it before I did. Never mind.
Do you guys want JK Rowling?  Because this is how you get JK Rowling.

Picard is ghey and he pisses and shits everywhere.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #142503 on: February 06, 2019, 05:10:15 pm »

Half the malfunctions of the holodeck come from the very obviously "GAN Deep learning AI" driven heuristic self-programming it does.
And the other half is getting locked in the holodeck with safeties disengaged because of an external force. Why is there no emergency shutdown, isolated from the system?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142504 on: February 06, 2019, 06:42:53 pm »

Come on Worf it'll be fun, this whimsical holodeck experience could not possibly have any adverse side effecOh my god it just killed the new ensign there was nothing we could have done to stop this from happening a sixth time.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142505 on: February 06, 2019, 06:52:57 pm »

The Holodeck probably already kicked Worf's ass, just to show how powerful it has become.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142506 on: February 06, 2019, 07:11:48 pm »

The Holodeck probably already kicked Worf's ass, just to show how powerful it has become.

Yes but everything can do that in TNG.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142507 on: February 06, 2019, 07:28:46 pm »

Yes but everything can do that in TNG.

*Boink*
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142508 on: February 06, 2019, 11:14:54 pm »

Half the malfunctions of the holodeck come from the very obviously "GAN Deep learning AI" driven heuristic self-programming it does.
And the other half is getting locked in the holodeck with safeties disengaged because of an external force. Why is there no emergency shutdown, isolated from the system?

Because problems in space come in three types:

1. The ones that obviously, inevitably end with everyone dying in space.
2. Problems for which a boringly trivial solution exists.
3. Human errors in design, implementation, and operation.

That last category, which can bleed into the other two, is the only dramatically exciting one on which to base an episodic story. Nobody wants to watch the Enterprise randomly explode because a chunk of space debris perforated the warp core, and nobody wants to watch a bunch of ensigns tick boxes on maintenance checklists for the box-ticking equipment for the maintenance checklists. That leaves faulty design and incorrect operation as the only real options.

If the Enterprise weren't designed with exploding consoles and a deadly Holodeck, every episode would be math followed by paperwork or fatal explosions. Such is life in space.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 11:16:32 pm by Trekkin »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142509 on: February 06, 2019, 11:46:11 pm »

That's something I liked about Voyager:  I felt like the ship and their resources were wearing down as the journey continued.  A lot of people disagree, but I got the sense that they were counting every torpedo, and that stuff kept falling apart more and more.  Getting spliced with local, inferior equipment to keep things running - or borg tech, in a way.

It was sorta like the first couple of seasons of newer Battlestar Galactica, but in a good way.  That's just how I experienced it though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #142510 on: February 06, 2019, 11:53:32 pm »

That was the idea, but I never felt like it was realized. More episodes involving "we need X resource to fix our Y system, and this species has abundant X - let us make contact and work with them" would have made the series much better. The problem with Voyager is that it started a few years too soon, and they never adopted story arcs to the extent that DS9 did.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #142511 on: February 07, 2019, 06:01:49 pm »

I think university is driving me to caffeine abuse. In my life thus far, I've barely used any stimulants, but now I've worked long into the night for four nights in a row to get my projects done and used a single day's maximum dose of caffeine over them. I'm still getting 6-ish hours of sleep every night, which should be fine for the short term, but I really need to learn to manage my time better.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142512 on: February 07, 2019, 06:07:23 pm »

Had two weird anxiety riddled dreams last night. This despite being on my meds, which I though were stopping them and them never coming so close together before. This time of year has always been a bad one for my brain but this is rather odd.

They even managed to make less sense than usual.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142513 on: February 08, 2019, 06:50:05 am »

Bloody hell. Why tf did I leave my house?
The plan was to just stay at home and drink. Instead I am out here 'cause it's the final show of a band I'm kind of friends with. I am also broke. If I don't get at least a shouted birthday beer out of this I'll be spewin'.

Also, this dirt-cheap-house-beer I was forced to drink due to budget constraints is the worst dirt-cheap-house-beer I've ever tasted.
At least his old pub is an absolutely fantastic building! Can't believe I've never been here before, had no idea it was just a short stroll in the other direction from the train station I get off at to visit some regular haunts.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 06:52:32 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #142514 on: February 08, 2019, 10:03:30 am »

Also, this dirt-cheap-house-beer I was forced to drink due to budget constraints is the worst dirt-cheap-house-beer I've ever tasted.

And thus, the need to drink cold beer served in a frozen glass was born, hoping that no taste bud would function correctly to taste the horrible swill
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.
Pages: 1 ... 9499 9500 [9501] 9502 9503 ... 10973