Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9503 9504 [9505] 9506 9507 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12998748 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142560 on: February 10, 2019, 11:37:15 am »

slightly above average ratings
Now there's one thing I hate about modern game critique. All of the ratings shown are at least 80% of the maximum score, yet that qualifies as only "slightly above average" by today's standards. I'd really like to see a game critic that actually hands out 5/10's to on-par games so that higher scores actually mean something.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142561 on: February 10, 2019, 11:41:24 am »

FPS 2019 trailer how to:

1. Show max 2 seconds of shooting.
2. Cut to game critic's quote highly praising the game.
     2.5. Add inception's "Bwoong"
3. Repeat the above until you have a minute worth of trailer.
4. End by showing in the same panel all the slightly above average ratings the game got from the same critics from step 2.

Yeah... Of course, Insurgency's history has always been just a long story of occasionally quite fun/funny gameplay that is then sat on by completely removed-from-reality devs.

You wanna advertise Insurgency? It's not difficult.

arrpeejee!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142562 on: February 10, 2019, 11:50:15 am »

Huh, I came across this thing where in the UK there's a moral panic about the visual novel Doki Doki Literature Club of all things.

It started because some dad of a 15yo boy who committed suicide couldn't rationalize the death, so blamed the game.

The dad's beliefs about the game are preposterous too, such as he believed the game "wouldn't leave" his son alone and that girls from the game were sending his son emails and/or SMS messages giving him "ever darker" "tasks" to do. This is clearly preposterous (Doki is just a single-player visual novel where you click through the story and have the occasionally choose-your-own-adventure type decision to make), but the media in the UK has been reporting it as fact that the game has all these "sinister" game mechanics that "hook" you into playing and won't let you stop. A reality check however is that visual novels are almost entirely linear and contain a very limited amount of story content. You couldn't "not stop" even if you wanted to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2U3SJzs32k

... I'll be leaving now as I have to get back to NekoPara otherwise Chocola will start emailing me about how I haven't turned the game on in too long.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 11:58:26 am by Reelya »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #142563 on: February 10, 2019, 12:02:02 pm »

To be fair Monika would probably send you emails if she could.

Honestly, it's just a free little mindfuck game, it's kinda hilarious that it's even getting that much attention. Hopefully this makes foolish young people play it and appreciate the game.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142564 on: February 10, 2019, 12:05:44 pm »

Well... I mean... Doki does do a lot of weird meta shit that most visual novels don't get into. And there's definitely some stuff happening there that a not-entirely-computer-savvy person might get freaked out by.

Still don't think the game is to be blamed for anything here, but y'know... Gotta be fair.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #142565 on: February 10, 2019, 01:38:12 pm »

well now I want to try a stupid visual novel and see what kind of mindscrew things it does
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #142566 on: February 10, 2019, 01:40:50 pm »

Do it. It's a good experience. Though keep in mind that the first part of it is pretty boring.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142567 on: February 10, 2019, 01:44:48 pm »

Ganondorf dies in the end.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #142568 on: February 10, 2019, 01:57:20 pm »

I got a sudden urge to listen to the poem scene from 10 Things I Hate About you (best romcom of my youth, by the way) but only googled "10 things I hate", and the first result on youtube was this 10 things Americans hate about Sweden and the first one infuriates me

(he's right about #5 though)

Do it. It's a good experience. Though keep in mind that the first part of it is pretty boring.

But if I download it will it forever stain my internet footprint though
Love, scriver~

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #142569 on: February 10, 2019, 02:04:57 pm »

Just get it on steam or use an incognito browser or something whatever.
It's worth looking a little bit like weebtrash. :V

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #142570 on: February 10, 2019, 02:47:35 pm »

[/quote]
Am I the only one that heard this in Palp's voice?

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #142571 on: February 10, 2019, 03:19:23 pm »

Now there's one thing I hate about modern game critique. All of the ratings shown are at least 80% of the maximum score, yet that qualifies as only "slightly above average" by today's standards. I'd really like to see a game critic that actually hands out 5/10's to on-par games so that higher scores actually mean something.

Today's standards are at least 17 years old. :P I have a couple of old pc games magazines from late 2002 where anything in the 8/10 category was "good if you are a fan of it's genre", a 7/10 would be considerer "flawed but has redeeming qualities" and anything below was bad and/or barely functional as a game. An above 9/10 rating was for truly excellent games, the ones you could reasonably suggest to any gamer, regardless of personal preferences, and still get a positive response. I think that scale works well enough.

So with that in mind and no prior knowledge of that game I watch said trailer, seen all these high praise and then the ratings which corespond to a "just another fps game". Talking about some dissonance here.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142572 on: February 10, 2019, 04:24:22 pm »

On the flip side, a game can sell 7 million copies and still be a failure in terms of corporate shareholders.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142573 on: February 10, 2019, 04:29:01 pm »

On the flip side, a game can sell 7 million copies and still be a failure in terms of corporate shareholders.
But of course! It had a singleplayer campaign that cosr money to develop!
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #142574 on: February 10, 2019, 04:45:34 pm »

But wait, it gets better! That's because, before the game even launches, the executives come up with a number and anything below that is obviously an utter failure!
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 9503 9504 [9505] 9506 9507 ... 10974