Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9547 9548 [9549] 9550 9551 ... 9779

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 5811634 times)

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • I am BACK baby!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #143220 on: March 08, 2019, 07:54:31 pm »

I haven't posted on this forum in nearly 3 years. That made me say WTF today.
It's dice rolling time

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #143221 on: March 08, 2019, 09:24:02 pm »

Welcome back!

Re: sleep deprivation, I do sometimes get very paranoid about sleeping after I stay up too late.  That "second wind" around 4-6AM sometimes (not always) comes with a feeling that when I do sleep, I'm going to have nightmares.  Yet I have to sleep *sometime*.  Hasn't happened as much recently though.

I vaguely remember being creeped out by some really old internet horror story involving a vast wilderness, western researchers, some kind of mysterious creature native to the region and at some point a crashed helicopter, mostly told through the perspective of recovered journal entries penned by one of the surviving researchers (yeah it sounds pretty cheesy now, but I read this as a kid I think), but I've never been able to track down that particular story again. :(
if anyone knows this, I would be interested in reading it
The game Kholat, from what little I remember, sounds kinda like that?  I watched a LP a long time ago.  It was about a spooky wilderness where some people died for unclear reasons, one of them apparently over a mile before immolating.  The game involves walking through the forest years later, encountering spookies.

And on a completely different note:  I'm playing Star Control 2 The Ur-Quan Masters v0.6.4 - Extended Edition.  I went in having very little clue as to what it adds, but I've found a few things already!  No big plot changes or anything, just neat stuff- like, Commander Hayes offhand mentions an abandoned Precursor starbase around a certain star, and if you go there - it's there now!

And later I was following up on a clue about a Mmhrm colonization effort.  The system the Spathi met them in was disappointingly empty, so I explored around doing normal mineral collection - and found the Mmhmrm homeworld??  Nobody named their home system, but it's pretty much on a direct line from Spathiwa, to the planned colony, to the homeworld.  Since it's now in enemy territory, it's possible that I just never found it in the original game.

I've recaptured a little of that love of exploration in one of my favorite games of all time~

Th4DwArfY1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #143222 on: March 08, 2019, 09:30:17 pm »

I haven't posted on this forum in nearly 3 years. That made me say WTF today.
Has it honestly been that long? Yikes.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  Th4DwArfY1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • I am BACK baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143223 on: March 08, 2019, 09:42:49 pm »

Damn near, yeah. Last post was early July of 2016 from the looks of it, other than today. Makes me feel super old because I remember that being not too long ago, but I guess it's been longer than I thought.
It's dice rolling time

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143224 on: March 08, 2019, 10:16:10 pm »

I started watching Better Call Saul, I really like the show, but I'm always asking myself "When do these characters sleep?" since there seems to be a lot of chronologically adjacent scenes that last for days at a time.

Even though I've been binge watching the show, and therefore I must like it it, something about the writing feels really degenerate and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #143225 on: March 08, 2019, 10:21:14 pm »

Haven't seen BCS (or finished Breaking Bad, for that matter - haven't got around to it), but which characters never sleep? BCS is a spinoff from a show about methamphetamine - one effect of which is sleep elimination - after all. 
My new 3.5 D&D campaign. Now Recruiting!
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143226 on: March 08, 2019, 10:29:20 pm »

I want to post a link to "druff druff druff" now...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143227 on: March 08, 2019, 10:37:20 pm »

Haven't seen BCS (or finished Breaking Bad, for that matter - haven't got around to it), but which characters never sleep? BCS is a spinoff from a show about methamphetamine - one effect of which is sleep elimination - after all. 

Secret Agent Magoo, who is an old man, but he seems to go for quite long periods of time of not sleeping, doing full shifts at work, tangling with the Mexican Mafia, plotting and executing cool plans, and then spends time with his family like the cool grandpa he is.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143228 on: March 09, 2019, 12:19:17 am »

Mr Magoo!?

Now THERE'S a blast from the past!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143229 on: March 09, 2019, 12:21:04 am »

The SJWs and anti-SJWs are having a turf war over Captain Marvel. Even before the film released there were a ton (thousands) of 10/10 reviews and 1/10 reviews on IMDB. The fake 10/10 reviews outnumber the fake 1/10 reviews. I'm skeptical about whether any of those 10/10 or 1/10 people are even planning to see the movie, or whether they're people who had no interest to start with, except it's a tribal thing now.

You can tell they're all fake because while zillions of people think it's 10/10 or 1/10, very few people think it's a 9/10 or 2/10 movie. The fake reviews went in first, then some normal people put in reviews in between after the film actually aired.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4154664/ratings
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 12:26:11 am by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #143230 on: March 09, 2019, 12:26:01 am »

I'm probably an "SJW" in that dichotomy, but I'm so sick of comic book movies and "Captain Marvel" is an awful name.  I really don't care about this.

Meh, last movie I saw in a theater was Blade Runner 2049.  Which was great, but not enough to get me spending my own money on the bigscreen experience.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143231 on: March 09, 2019, 12:26:48 am »

Alita was pretty great and is still in cinemas. Search for youtube reviews. it's not a favorite with "critics", but among people who actually like Sci-Fi, it has pretty solid reviews.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 12:31:19 am by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #143232 on: March 09, 2019, 12:30:23 am »

I was already interested in Alita yeah, thanks for telling me it's still in cinemas.  I might give it a go.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143233 on: March 09, 2019, 12:35:49 am »

Alita is basically the first actually enjoyable manga/anime adaptation made in the West. somehow they managed to maintain most of the feel, while making it PG, when the original manga has a lot of brain-gore and intestine-gore. The original is a cyberpunk / body-horror / action kind of thing with a lot of darkly humorous undertones.

I think the thing that is pissing people off isn't these new movies such as Captain Marvel, it's the rhetoric surrounding them where some people glomp onto a movie that's assumed to have some social-justice element to it, then say that if people aren't into the movie they must be against social justice. It's actually problematic when people (which includes the star of the movie in this case) appropriate SJ themes then try and use it as marketing for some shitty thing they made. Maybe your thing is just bad.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 12:42:13 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143234 on: March 09, 2019, 12:40:35 am »

I just love how everything has to be about dicks and vaginas, and who has what kind of genitals, and how that has so much politics associated with- and especially how you are a nobody, or worse, a part of "The Problem" unless you jump whole hog in with one side or the other.

Identity Politics and burn in fucking hell.  I am sick of this shit.
Pages: 1 ... 9547 9548 [9549] 9550 9551 ... 9779