Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9505 9506 [9507] 9508 9509 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12996730 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142590 on: February 10, 2019, 11:10:55 pm »

Damn that sounds good.  I used to get, like, quality cheese from the fancy pile.  Nowadays I get the shredded stuff because it works, but I miss the variety.  Dry stuff, sharp stuff, soft oily muenster my dad insists on leaving out on the counter "because it's better at room temperature", and dammit he's right?   wonders why he has has had an ant problem all these years though

For DND yesterday I made another lazy combi-ricebowl of sweat peas, seaweed (need more seaweed), bok choy, green beans, and a cut of chicken.  Didn't have any parsely but fixed that today.  Stews and whatever-a-rice-cooker-makes are so easy and fun for experimenting.

Shallots are the tiny onion things?  They look weird but I'll look out for them when I'm buying seaweed, I know the asian market has them by weight.
But yeah I've gotten used to basic, chemically-prepared cheese.  Because it's very common here and more economical.
honestly tastes great compared to no cheese.  Tasting specialty cheese is a bonus for visiting my dang family, that works

Edit:
Thinking about what my DND characters would eat as typical hard-rations, I automatically went to hard bread and cheese.  Jerky too, particularly since current character's a beefy paladin, but mostly cheese and crackers.
The stuff dad and I ate hiking. 
Well, that and fig newtons, but I'm averse to most fruit nowadays

Lots of nuts too, though!  They're so convenient and provide most of a protein combo.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 11:14:58 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142591 on: February 11, 2019, 02:15:33 am »

The truth is all cheese is better at room temperature. Between 19c and 26c is my preference.
Yeah they're the tiny onions. Subtle flavor. Cunts to peel and expensive.

I imagine biscuits. Meat meal flour water, maybe minced fruits baked then dried.
As a dm i usually only made the players need foods in obvious situations. Desert, cells, mountain tops, at sea. Other than that its another thing that I feel detracts from the game play and banter.
Most partys have a food creator or a catcher. Though thinking about it maybe i should have made the party hunt at low levels and make wolves attack mid hunt or something.
Yes i hope to get a new party one day

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142592 on: February 11, 2019, 02:30:03 am »

Yeah mechanically we just have "7 rations" or whatever in our inventory.  But when we come across, say, a strange child in a creepy fishy village?  And want to offer some food?  Suddenly it makes me wonder "what ARE these hard rations?"

And after thinking about it I decided that my paladin would have a lot of jerky, being of Olympic strength.  But also a sizeable stock of cheese and what we call "crackers", which is what I offered the poor girl.

Though in an amusing twist, I actually acquired an Urn of Liquids (my name for it) in exchange for my Trident of Fish Command.  They can command the fish to flow into their nets, and in return we can summon an abundance of bland, protein-rich gruel.  Or several gallons of water, or about a quart of lantern oil, every day.

It sounds unappetizing, but the other two party members are wizards with Prestidigitation, so the gruel tastes however we want.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #142593 on: February 11, 2019, 02:52:12 am »

Mmmmm lamp oil....
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142594 on: February 11, 2019, 02:54:14 am »

I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142595 on: February 11, 2019, 02:58:33 am »

Im having a baby

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142596 on: February 11, 2019, 02:59:49 am »

"Why do you have to go to work?"
"For money?"
"So you... so you can get sweets?"
"....yes."
so I can get laptops
so I can go to work
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142597 on: February 11, 2019, 03:07:16 am »

Pre-sliced pieces of cheese suck and no longer taste like cheese
Maybe if you go to some hell-store where cheese is sliced with rusty blades weeks in advance, and stored in the open air directly over a dumpster...

For the most part, pre-sliced tastes fine. Maybe not quite as good as something fresh off the block, but it's certainly more convenient.

Probably because Americans are more addicted to the calorie ingestion than the taste so they don't care anymore. Gotta get those calories in fast. We also have to remember than Anglo people (Americans, UK, Australians) eat plastic-wrapped processed "cheese" slices. The type of cheese that we're talking about being pre-sliced isn't good cheese. Often it's not even named anything. Here the cheap stuff is just called "Tasty Cheese".
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:09:14 am by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142598 on: February 11, 2019, 03:09:21 am »

Yeah that's in line with a lot of my cisnormal peers and some of my queer ones.
She/they

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142599 on: February 11, 2019, 03:10:05 am »

How dare you  ;D

Well that's enough talk tonight. I have important business to attend to.
Can't you see. Im an important fellow
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:17:48 am by Castlecliff »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142600 on: February 11, 2019, 03:17:42 am »

I happen to like actual cheese, thank you.  Some nice soft muenster on some captains wafers... mmmmm...

"American cheese" is not actually cheese.  No.  Really, it's not cheese.  It's mostly vegetable oil, water, salt and food coloring.  Other than the salt, none of those should actually be found in a quality cheese. (not as an added ingredient anyway.) 

I can see how pre-slicing would ruin the flavor profiles of some of the more pungent cheeses, like aged Swiss, Parmesan, and pals. (once exposed to air, many of the compounds that comprise the flavor profile evaporate. Cheeses that have rinds would all suffer.)

Most americans do not cook these days, so I would not expect most americans to understand the subtlties of different cheeses, their textures, melting profiles, and flavor profiles-- or how to use them constructively to enhance a dish. (or realize that one does not need to add a 5lb block of cheddar to their au gratin, because after a certain point, you can't increase the cheese flavor by adding more cheese, due to cheese being a subtle and complex flavor.)

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142602 on: February 11, 2019, 04:27:33 am »

-snip-
bitch tell me you didn't just say that espresso is on a lower rung of the cuisine ladder than American gritcoffee.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #142603 on: February 11, 2019, 04:29:16 am »

Espresso, drip, and press coffee (hot or cold) all have their own individual strengths and weaknesses, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. It's a matter of personal preference, the blend, and how it's served.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142604 on: February 11, 2019, 04:34:33 am »

Yeah, it's just the cheese that isn't cheese, the beer that isn't beer, and gods-fucking candied yams which aren't even yams and for fuck's sake why are you taking a perfectly tasty and healthy tuber and mixing it with marshmallows.

Anyways, most Norwegian cheese is actually pretty amazingly dull and dreadful. We have "white cheese" which is unassuming and nonhostile, and then there's "yellow cheese" which is exactly the same thing and also still pretty much the same color.

Then there's brown cheese, which dares to be different and is also technically not cheese in the traditional sense. Somewhat difficult to slice without a slicer, to boot.

As for the slicer vs knife argument, well yes... You could use a kitchen knife to shave your chin, but it's generally agreed that a razor is easier to use and gives a more even shave. A cheese slicer functions in exactly the same way.

And I did actually go around with a loaf of bread and giant block of cheapo cheese in my backpack for a few days in the army, ripping off bread chunks and accompanying with knifed cheese wedges.

Then I forget to take it back out of the pack after we got back from that exercise (didn't really have anywhere to put it, what with the barracks kitchen still being off-limits thanks to rampant idiocy), and the cheese got extremely interesting after a few days when I found it again.

EDIT: Oh, here's something for Naxza... Saw a comment recently that "umeboshi is as Japanese as brown cheese is Norwegian". I actually happened to grow up with umeboshi paste, and was wondering if you got to experience the stuff while over there.
Pages: 1 ... 9505 9506 [9507] 9508 9509 ... 10973