Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9510 9511 [9512] 9513 9514 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13187303 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142665 on: February 11, 2019, 07:19:39 pm »

I’ve also seen “sand [Extremely awful racial slur directed at black people]” before, myself. I think sand people is kind of rude but certainly not as awful as some of these other terms.
If it's the racial slur I'm thinking of, then my WTF is that people think that it's "extremely awful." I'd label it as ignorant and rude to come out with it, certainly, but it's nothing that they wouldn't call themselves with impunity.

Edit:
It's like calling someone "old codger." Not something one should do, but not "extremely awful."

Also, please don't flame me for saying this. Firstly, I did not seek a negative reaction. Secondly, at least in my view, it's a perfectly reasonable way to categorise the slur, and my decision to do so is not motivated out of hatred or bigotry of any kind.
Kinda figured post-post that I should clarify before the wall of hate came down on me :P
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 07:24:29 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #142666 on: February 11, 2019, 07:35:42 pm »

American here, can confirm that I know nothing about cheese
We apparently actually have a fairly decent cheese scene in the US, from what I understand. Seen a few articles over the years of folks from more traditionally cheese inclined areas coming over and being surprised at the state of things. It's just not terribly mainstream, and we'll probably forever have the millstone that is government/"American" cheese around our collective necks. Which... is honestly kinda' okay to cook with. Does alright with texture, adding a bit of heft to a meal and a vaguely cheese taste. It's just vile plastic abomination when unmelted, heh.

Still, you do kinda' have to remember that the states are largely a nation of immigrants, and they don't exactly leave their tastebuds at the proverbial door. Cheesemaking came over and has been loitering around in the background since, basically.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142667 on: February 11, 2019, 07:41:40 pm »

When people think American Cheese they think Kraft singles. That is not American cheese. It is not cheese. It is a cheese-like product.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #142668 on: February 11, 2019, 07:45:21 pm »

I've heard of Kraft. Is that the equivalent of mashed potato pellets which, when microwaved, supposedly constitute a fully nutritious bowl of potatoes?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #142669 on: February 11, 2019, 07:51:34 pm »

Plastic-wrapped processed cheese slices.

Basically the kind of thing you would expect to be sitting on top of a lukewarm burger from a low-budget diner.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #142670 on: February 11, 2019, 07:54:37 pm »

Kraft is a massive company that makes a wide variety of food products. In this context, they are famous for theire individually wrapped "Kraft Singles" product, which is essentially a very mild cheese mixed with milk to make it meltier. Because milk is added directly to the product, it cannot be called cheese, and is thus known as "pasteurized process cheese product".

This is widely conflated with a knockoff product called "imitation pasteurized process cheese product" - which has almost the same appearance, but is made primarily from vegetable oil and contains little to no dairy.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142671 on: February 11, 2019, 07:55:45 pm »

The two grocery stores I go to both have a pretty decent cheese selection. One has a pretty damn large display right between seafood and produce that's dedicated to various kinds of cheese, and that's not all the cheese available.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142672 on: February 11, 2019, 08:04:57 pm »

I'm a little surprised that people are still going on about this.

American cheese exists. So do cheeses made in America that are not "American cheese". So do cheeses made in England, or Spain, or Mexico, or Italy, or in any number of countries around the world. It's all friggin cheese. It's all processed in some whey way, shape, or form. You're not going to go wandering through the forest and harvest some fresh all-natural mozzarella off a tree or something.

I found this article to be interesting reading.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142673 on: February 11, 2019, 08:05:59 pm »

The two grocery stores I go to both have a pretty decent cheese selection. One has a pretty damn large display right between seafood and produce that's dedicated to various kinds of cheese, and that's not all the cheese available.

Same here, they do have a real cheese section with 30 or so various cheese selection that are rotated.

Also, saying Kraft Singles is cheese is equivalent to saying Chef Boyardee is a fine Italian food.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #142674 on: February 11, 2019, 08:07:26 pm »

Gouda trees are my new favorite mental image, just big wheels of Gouda hanging off a gnarled tree limb...
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #142675 on: February 11, 2019, 08:09:24 pm »

Gouda trees are my new favorite mental image, just big wheels of Gouda hanging off a gnarled tree limb...
With American "cheese" fungus growing near the trunk.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142676 on: February 11, 2019, 08:09:57 pm »

Same here, they do have a real cheese section with 30 or so various cheese selection that are rotated.

Also, saying Kraft Singles is cheese is equivalent to saying Chef Boyardee is a fine Italian food.
It'd be more accurate to say that Kraft singles are to cheese as Chef Boyardee is to Italian pasta. That is, a cheap and unhealthy imitation of the real thing that nonetheless has the same basic properties.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142677 on: February 11, 2019, 08:18:10 pm »

It'd be more accurate to say that Kraft singles are to cheese as Chef Boyardee is to Italian pasta. That is, a cheap and unhealthy imitation of the real thing that nonetheless has the same basic properties.

It sure is the same color, yes.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #142678 on: February 11, 2019, 08:23:42 pm »

I just don't care about anything anymore
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142679 on: February 11, 2019, 08:25:59 pm »

Don't diss Chef Boyardee, he was a cool guy probably
Pages: 1 ... 9510 9511 [9512] 9513 9514 ... 10983