Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9524 9525 [9526] 9527 9528 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12998579 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142875 on: February 16, 2019, 12:10:17 am »

how can one person be so incorrect
touchë
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142876 on: February 16, 2019, 05:31:44 am »

Oh lawd I am just wired all wrong for social interaction.
Somebody gimme a chill pill, stat.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #142877 on: February 16, 2019, 05:41:14 am »

Chillax, man. Don't sweat it, you're super handsome and people like you~
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142878 on: February 16, 2019, 05:57:32 am »

Sponsored article popped up on Facebook. Normally I just ignore these things, but this one looked so batshit that I had to know more.

"Has our democracy died along with capitalism?"

Whuh

"The USA and the rest of the world hasn't had true capitalism for decades"

Uh?

So the basis of this is that capitalism is about risk. In order to make big bucks, you need to make big risks. And with how those goddamn financial elite (no really, the article mentions the "financial elite" multiple times and clearly labels them as the enemies of... Capitalism) have made themselves buddy-buddy with politicians and arranged all sorts of expense cuts and bailouts paid by the taxpayer's tab, the rich are no longer really risking anything in order to get richer, and therefore =/= capitalism.

Then the article takes a pointed attack against these goddamn financial elite richboys who control 50% of the world's resources, with their lobbying for renewable green energy and the CO2 lie and... wait... what?

Yeah, so, the enemy is in fact such megarich sneaks like Big Wind (which is still just a really funny name to me) who are manipulating the world into buying their infrastructure based on the massive marketing campaign that is global warming and "The CO2 Deception".

France, for example, is on the brink of destruction thanks to these financial elite schemes of green energy and multicultural integration and- oh, there it is. Yep. It's those gosh-darned immigrants again. They just get everywhere, don't they? Showing up in arguments where you never would have expected them to be.

Also the banks are just giving out loans willy-nilly, and if you can't pay back that loan then it's the bank who has to take the fall, which is why capitalism has failed. Because if the bank runs out of money then the government will just patch them back up again, so there's no risk. If bank bailouts didn't exist, then banks would have to start evaluating risk on loan prospects, which clearly isn't happening now and therefore it's not capitalism. And without capitalism, democracy falls as well (we are, in fact, living in something called a social dictatorship right now).

And then there's a random picture of a Tesla emergency-charging itself on the side of a road, apparently as an example of how green energy is a scam.

Here's a link to the article in case you feel like giving the loonies more clicks and translating the page from Norwegian.

I admit, it was wrong of me to give them the attention, not to mention sharing the wealth link, but staring at stuff like this is a guilty pleasure.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #142879 on: February 16, 2019, 06:17:47 am »

Wait, what was wrong with it?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #142880 on: February 16, 2019, 06:52:56 am »

So, the article relies on tens of disjointed assumptions that, through some 'creative' interpretation, are glued together into "arguments" by immersing them in what appears to be hot glue? And they want these arguments to be tossed into a black box to produce the statement, "Our democracy died along with capitalism" as output?
The more I try to make sense of it, the more ill-defined the output statement(s).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 07:05:10 am by methylatedspirit »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142881 on: February 16, 2019, 07:26:50 am »

So, the article relies on tens of disjointed assumptions that, through some 'creative' interpretation, are glued together into "arguments" by immersing them in what appears to be hot glue? And they want these arguments to be tossed into a black box to produce the statement, "Our democracy died along with capitalism" as output?
The more I try to make sense of it, the more ill-defined the output statement(s).
It's quite simple, really:
  • The financial elite are a corrupt conglomerate of green energy moguls, who grow rich by manipulating politicians into giving them concessions paid for by taxpayers.
  • This results in bank bailouts, which makes banks carefree and anti-capitalist, causing them to hand out loans without risk assessment and requiring more bailouts as a result.
  • The large government spending on banks results in sucking money out of the non-elite, resulting in poverty.
  • We need to stop renewable energy movements in order to revive capitalism, and thereby democracy.
  • Immigrants.

Wait, what was wrong with it?
"Any attention is good attention" and all that... It's obviously a ragebait article that is intended to spread as far as possible, and by reading and mentioning it I'm helping to spread it.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #142882 on: February 16, 2019, 07:48:34 am »

I don't engage much in politics, but would it be safe to say that 'immigrants' is a Godwin-type concept? In the sense that, once mentioned in an otherwise unrelated debate, whoever said it has lost the debate because of the topic's tendency to derail the debate.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 07:51:47 am by methylatedspirit »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #142883 on: February 16, 2019, 07:51:18 am »

Immigrants are a major source of strife; especially in places like france.  There is valid concern over the failed assimilation of immigrants.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142884 on: February 16, 2019, 08:11:18 am »

Yeah apparently France didn't handle the refugees so well.

But at least they tried I guess.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142885 on: February 16, 2019, 09:02:36 am »

I don't engage much in politics, but would it be safe to say that 'immigrants' is a Godwin-type concept? In the sense that, once mentioned in an otherwise unrelated debate, whoever said it has lost the debate because of the topic's tendency to derail the debate.

I'd say so, bearing in mind that Godwin's Law has become one itself; anyone trying to declare victory in a debate isn't worth debating.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #142886 on: February 16, 2019, 09:10:20 am »

It could potentially be if you're the kind of person who thinks any kind of criticism of migration policies is wrong, I suppose.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142887 on: February 16, 2019, 09:20:49 am »

The trick, of course, is to separate the ones bringing up legitimate arguments about the problems of integration from the ones who just blame everything on the brown people.

Spoiler: Fig. 1 (click to show/hide)

The "revive capitalism" article directly says that France is failing not because it failed to integrate migrants, it says that they're failing because they attempted to integrate migrants.

France is on its way towards poverty thanks to foreign culture immigration and bad energy politics (green)

It's worth noting that this quote comes completely out of left field, and immigration is not mentioned again. The context goes:

• The financial elite are using the UN's CO2 scam to seize wealth and political power
  • More and more people in France are unhappy with the elite's destruction of their country the past decades
  • France is headed for poverty because of renewable energy and immigrants

After that it goes on to say how the financial elite are best described as "Globalists", and how organizations such as the UN, EU and IMF are constructed to give the financial elite more power. The next couple sentences mention that The Debt Is Too Damn High, and how it's uncertain how high debt can even go. The closing statement is "We're quickly approaching a turning point one way or another".

Then there's a footnote wrapping the whole thing up by inviting you to learn more about macroeconomics, providing a link. ...to another article on their own website.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #142888 on: February 16, 2019, 09:35:00 am »

After that it goes on to say how the financial elite are best described as "Globalists", and how organizations such as the UN, EU and IMF are constructed to give the financial elite more power.

These parts are hardly untrue, though, apart from maybe the UN. See the EU abusing it's trade power to keep neo-colonialism going in Africa, and the IMF likewise abusing their power to make sure third world countries are not able to profit from their own resources but that profits instead go to American and European companies. Globalism is just the flip side (of the pro-life/pro-choice PR situation) of neocolonialism.

The writer's main problems seems to be the assumption that this is the consequence of a lack of capitalism rather than a consequence of capitalism in itself. They seem to view liberalism as left-wing rather than the right-wing ideology it is.
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142889 on: February 16, 2019, 09:43:24 am »

The writer's main problems seems to be the assumption that this is the consequence of a lack of capitalism rather than a consequence of capitalism in itself.
This is kinda the crux of it. "Capitalism is dead, we need more capitalism in order to fix the capitalism that we don't have".

Except it doesn't really even say that... The conclusion just states "Something is probably going to happen at some point", which could very well be true.
Pages: 1 ... 9524 9525 [9526] 9527 9528 ... 10974