Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9528 9529 [9530] 9531 9532 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13000861 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #142935 on: February 18, 2019, 01:12:28 pm »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #142936 on: February 18, 2019, 01:18:57 pm »

I refuse to use Galaxy, because they offer separate installation files that download faster than using that bullshizzle.
Really? I use galaxy because it's the opposite for me. I guess it might be due to location.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142938 on: February 18, 2019, 03:09:29 pm »

Yeetcoin.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142939 on: February 18, 2019, 05:17:38 pm »

In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142940 on: February 18, 2019, 10:00:01 pm »

GoG is the only alternative to Steam I accept. The only problem I've had with them was a refund request which was protracted beyond the cutoff date for refunds, but their refund policy is far better than Steam's.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142942 on: February 19, 2019, 04:52:10 am »

I just realized how good a time 2010 to 2013 was for starting indie devs and roguelikes. Rogue Survivor, Ace of Spades, Ultima Ratio Regum, and Cataclysm were created, DF finally exited 40d, Spelunky reached the mainstream, Rise of the Triad's remake was released and Shadow Warrior's remake began development.

Coming to think of it, I haven't really seen any popular new, creative roguelikes since at least 2015, and basically no other free, independent niche game that I know of has rivaled Ace of Spades since its height. I wonder what happened?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 04:53:43 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142943 on: February 19, 2019, 05:54:12 am »

I just realized how good a time 2010 to 2013 was for starting indie devs and roguelikes. Rogue Survivor, Ace of Spades, Ultima Ratio Regum, and Cataclysm were created, DF finally exited 40d, Spelunky reached the mainstream, Rise of the Triad's remake was released and Shadow Warrior's remake began development.

Coming to think of it, I haven't really seen any popular new, creative roguelikes since at least 2015, and basically no other free, independent niche game that I know of has rivaled Ace of Spades since its height. I wonder what happened?

I don't know much about the history of game development, but I wonder if the decrease in free, independent niche games has something to do with the rise of "Indie" as a commercial category. I suspect that what people think independent develpoment can accomplish has changed a lot in recent years, so the kinds of projects you're looking for are now something else. The rise of platforms like Steam, Kickstarter, etc will definitely have affected what devs think they can ask for and how they work.

I mean, No Man's Sky is almost a "popular new, creative roguelike", released after 2015. But instead of going through a spelunky- or df-like development cycle, it blew up into a massively funded venture, with all the attendant benefits and drawbacks.

Perhaps if Toady had been born twenty years later, he'd be getting corporate sponsors and visits from Kanye West rather than a steady drip of cash on Patreon and birthday wishes from bay12 members.
One wheel short of a wagon

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #142944 on: February 19, 2019, 06:05:05 am »

I know which I'd prefer.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #142945 on: February 19, 2019, 06:29:18 am »

Do rogue-lites like Slay The Spire and Dead Cells count? Slay The Spire is fairly popular (for an indie game), after all. From the pure, "trve" roguelikes on Steam, there's NEO Scavenger.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142946 on: February 19, 2019, 06:31:38 am »

Doesn't Slay the Spire involve deck building? Hard pass.

I know which I'd prefer.
ha ha u r gay for kanye

Edit: aw heck, new page. I dunno wtf to wtf about right now, sorry.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #142947 on: February 19, 2019, 06:35:35 am »

Doesn't Slay the Spire involve deck building? Hard pass.

It does, but I might buy it despite my aversion to card games. It looks interesting enough.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #142948 on: February 19, 2019, 06:53:39 am »

I know which I'd prefer.
ha ha u r gay for kanye
I'm sorry, are you discriminating against my sexual preference for Kanye West?

i is trigrd.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142949 on: February 19, 2019, 09:55:51 am »

NEO Scavenger as a true roguelike?

It doesn't even have procedural loot prefixes, what even are you.

Also, yeah, "Indie" has become a genre rather than a classification. That has a lot to say on the matter. For roguelites, man, there's a load of them... The reason you don't hear about the "big ones" is because there are so many that fall under the header that several just get fuzzed out by the background static. And then you get weirdos like Rogue Legacy that generate a lot of buzz, but don't really have anything to back it up with (in my opinion at least).

You've got side-scroller 'lites like Caveblazers and Catacomb Kids (CK had a fair amount of hype around it back in the day, but it's petered out a bit), traditionals like TOME and Caves of Qud are making bigger names for themselves thanks to Steam (but they've been in dev since forever, so can't really count them), real-time top-downers like In Celebration of Violence or Pocket Rogues, turn-based top-down... is a category with so much shovelware I don't really even know what to tell you, and then there are other oddballs out there like Lost Castle or even Counter Spell that have roguelite aspects to them. Or, of course, Barony; which is someone's attempt to make a first-person real-time co-op Nethack. Speaking of which, I've got three gift copies I was going to hand out to people to play co-op with, but never got around to doing so... That was back when Steam still let you buy 4-packs.
Pages: 1 ... 9528 9529 [9530] 9531 9532 ... 10974