Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9554 9555 [9556] 9557 9558 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997566 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #143325 on: March 08, 2019, 02:44:54 pm »

Alienware is a waste of money for a fancy case, and some brand recognition.  You can get identical specifications for a fraction of the costs.

What I would suggest:

Look at the "Recommended" section of your software's requirements, then double it where you can.  Look for pre-fab equipment with close to those specs, than buy amendment hardware-- Always completely research before purchase.

(Count yourself lucky, I routinely get tasked with doing carrier unlocks on cellphones, data restoration on dead tablets, working fucking digital miracles on purposefully crippled cloudbooks that cant accept more modern versions of windows 10 due to crippled eMMC storage, and all that tripe.)

Seriously though. Check out the goldmine that is the business class desktop offering lineup.  Especially in the engineering workstation genre, but those often have inflated prices too, so be mindful.  You can often find "beige boxes" that are almost exactly what you are looking for, with a modern CPU socket type, generous RAM slot provisions, and 2 or more 16x PCIe slots, and at VERY affordable prices.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 02:48:57 pm by wierd »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143326 on: March 08, 2019, 02:51:59 pm »

What I would suggest:

Look at the "Recommended" section of your software's requirements, then double it where you can.
"Yeah, can I get a uh... Windows 14?"

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143327 on: March 08, 2019, 02:56:05 pm »

Hardware you lummox. Hardware.  The software is easy to arrange.  (even legitimately. Microsoft allows you to download ISOs directly from them, and has an online licensing program.)

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/get-windows-10-free-or-cheap,5717.html

The hardware is where you should be spending your money, and where you should be future proofing.  If you double down on the specs, you can likely go through at least one major upgrade cycle without having to get new kit (but it WILL feel a bit tatty by that time.)  If you scrounge for deals, like I suggested, you can even make this affordable to pull off.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143328 on: March 08, 2019, 03:33:07 pm »

For some reason, my mom seems to think I know everything there is to know about computers, and tells people that I'll fix their stuff for free. A few days ago, I was sent to help a neighbour figure out why her excel wasn't working, but only when she tried to put in numbers.

Her NumLock was off.
These two things are related

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143329 on: March 08, 2019, 03:35:37 pm »

What was observed in a sleep trial involving three groups:
  • People who slept 5 hours every night, all week, developed unhealthy snacking habits and gained weight while their insulin sensitivity dropped.
  • People who slept 5 hours every night, but were allowed to sleep longer on weekends, similarly snacked and got fatter.
  • People who slept 9 hours every night were apparently the control group, and therefore are uninteresting.

What was the headline on the article reporting on this study:
BAD IDEA TO SLEEP IN ON THE WEEKEND

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143330 on: March 08, 2019, 03:41:57 pm »

The notion that people should, you know--- GET ENOUGH GORRAM SLEEP-- is incompatible with the modern capitalist mantra of "PRODUCE PRODUCE PRODUCE, CONSUME CONSUME CONSUME!"

If the logic (if it can even be called that) behind modern corporations was unfettered, people would sleep zero hours a day, would spend 3/4 of their time at work, with 1/4 of their time for mass consumption.  (and the corporations would only begrudgingly give people THAT much time.)

The niggly details about needing enough sleep to not develop dementia, to not develop eating disorders, to not develop blood sugar disorders, to not develop a multitude of cancers, et al.. Why, those are just undesirable things to not acknowledge.

"DONT SLEEP IN! IT MAKES YOU FAT!"  Yeah, you can SELL that--- It aligns with the mantra.  Up early, even on weekends! Be super productive! Get in a FULL DAY of vigorous consumption on your time off!  A day at home, doing a quiet, free activity like reading?  NO! EVIL! Go to a movie! Order pizza! Do some microtransactions on an MMO! SOMETHING involving money!

In case you could not tell, I am fucking jaded as hell about this shit. 

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #143331 on: March 08, 2019, 04:36:14 pm »

So our drunk guy thought hed sneak in here, i told him to get lost, and next i see him hes across the road, where somebody is face down on the pavement with a bunch of people around them. I think it was him but i cant see clearly over there. There were cops and an ambulance showed up but no idea whats actually going on.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #143332 on: March 08, 2019, 05:12:09 pm »

What was observed in a sleep trial involving three groups:
  • People who slept 5 hours every night, all week, developed unhealthy snacking habits and gained weight while their insulin sensitivity dropped.
  • People who slept 5 hours every night, but were allowed to sleep longer on weekends, similarly snacked and got fatter.
  • People who slept 9 hours every night were apparently the control group, and therefore are uninteresting.

What was the headline on the article reporting on this study:
BAD IDEA TO SLEEP IN ON THE WEEKEND

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #143333 on: March 08, 2019, 05:30:03 pm »

Well that was disturbing.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #143334 on: March 08, 2019, 05:32:27 pm »

Well that was disturbing.
Do you want to hear something disturbing??
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143335 on: March 08, 2019, 05:34:20 pm »

That's a shame, I was expecting a punchline.

Now what am I supposed to do with all this leftover pasta?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143336 on: March 08, 2019, 05:34:29 pm »

Pretty sure that's a creepypasta.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #143337 on: March 08, 2019, 05:35:45 pm »

I got about 6 paragraphs in and started looking for sources.

Obvious creepypasta is obvious.

I want to conduct sleep deprivation experiments on people though.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #143338 on: March 08, 2019, 05:35:52 pm »

nice creepypasta bro

Gotta appreciate the badassery of the researcher who upon being told he'll be locked in a room with a couple on monstrosities stone cold draws his sidearm and executes his boss, kills one of the monstrosities, and interrogates the remaining one. That kid probably went on to become a high-ranking researcher for the Foundation.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 05:47:32 pm by Egan_BW »
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143339 on: March 08, 2019, 05:49:00 pm »

Honestly, I was kinda banking on it being a corny joke with an exceptionally long-winded and macabre lead-in. I'd kinda forgotten that creepypastas were a thing (which is bizarre, considering I've gone on a few binges of reading them).
Pages: 1 ... 9554 9555 [9556] 9557 9558 ... 10973