Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9556 9557 [9558] 9559 9560 ... 10978

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13117187 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #143355 on: March 08, 2019, 10:16:10 pm »

I started watching Better Call Saul, I really like the show, but I'm always asking myself "When do these characters sleep?" since there seems to be a lot of chronologically adjacent scenes that last for days at a time.

Even though I've been binge watching the show, and therefore I must like it it, something about the writing feels really degenerate and I can't quite put my finger on it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #143356 on: March 08, 2019, 10:21:14 pm »

Haven't seen BCS (or finished Breaking Bad, for that matter - haven't got around to it), but which characters never sleep? BCS is a spinoff from a show about methamphetamine - one effect of which is sleep elimination - after all. 
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143357 on: March 08, 2019, 10:29:20 pm »

I want to post a link to "druff druff druff" now...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143358 on: March 08, 2019, 10:37:20 pm »

Haven't seen BCS (or finished Breaking Bad, for that matter - haven't got around to it), but which characters never sleep? BCS is a spinoff from a show about methamphetamine - one effect of which is sleep elimination - after all. 

Secret Agent Magoo, who is an old man, but he seems to go for quite long periods of time of not sleeping, doing full shifts at work, tangling with the Mexican Mafia, plotting and executing cool plans, and then spends time with his family like the cool grandpa he is.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143359 on: March 09, 2019, 12:19:17 am »

Mr Magoo!?

Now THERE'S a blast from the past!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143360 on: March 09, 2019, 12:21:04 am »

The SJWs and anti-SJWs are having a turf war over Captain Marvel. Even before the film released there were a ton (thousands) of 10/10 reviews and 1/10 reviews on IMDB. The fake 10/10 reviews outnumber the fake 1/10 reviews. I'm skeptical about whether any of those 10/10 or 1/10 people are even planning to see the movie, or whether they're people who had no interest to start with, except it's a tribal thing now.

You can tell they're all fake because while zillions of people think it's 10/10 or 1/10, very few people think it's a 9/10 or 2/10 movie. The fake reviews went in first, then some normal people put in reviews in between after the film actually aired.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4154664/ratings
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 12:26:11 am by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143361 on: March 09, 2019, 12:26:01 am »

I'm probably an "SJW" in that dichotomy, but I'm so sick of comic book movies and "Captain Marvel" is an awful name.  I really don't care about this.

Meh, last movie I saw in a theater was Blade Runner 2049.  Which was great, but not enough to get me spending my own money on the bigscreen experience.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143362 on: March 09, 2019, 12:26:48 am »

Alita was pretty great and is still in cinemas. Search for youtube reviews. it's not a favorite with "critics", but among people who actually like Sci-Fi, it has pretty solid reviews.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 12:31:19 am by Reelya »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143363 on: March 09, 2019, 12:30:23 am »

I was already interested in Alita yeah, thanks for telling me it's still in cinemas.  I might give it a go.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143364 on: March 09, 2019, 12:35:49 am »

Alita is basically the first actually enjoyable manga/anime adaptation made in the West. somehow they managed to maintain most of the feel, while making it PG, when the original manga has a lot of brain-gore and intestine-gore. The original is a cyberpunk / body-horror / action kind of thing with a lot of darkly humorous undertones.

I think the thing that is pissing people off isn't these new movies such as Captain Marvel, it's the rhetoric surrounding them where some people glomp onto a movie that's assumed to have some social-justice element to it, then say that if people aren't into the movie they must be against social justice. It's actually problematic when people (which includes the star of the movie in this case) appropriate SJ themes then try and use it as marketing for some shitty thing they made. Maybe your thing is just bad.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 12:42:13 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143365 on: March 09, 2019, 12:40:35 am »

I just love how everything has to be about dicks and vaginas, and who has what kind of genitals, and how that has so much politics associated with- and especially how you are a nobody, or worse, a part of "The Problem" unless you jump whole hog in with one side or the other.

Identity Politics and burn in fucking hell.  I am sick of this shit.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143366 on: March 09, 2019, 12:44:47 am »

I just love how everything has to be about dicks and vaginas, and who has what kind of genitals, and how that has so much politics associated with- and especially how you are a nobody, or worse, a part of "The Problem" unless you jump whole hog in with one side or the other.

Identity Politics and burn in fucking hell.  I am sick of this shit.

Yeah, the same people boosting Captain Marvel all apparently got a memo to trash Battle Angel Alita. Some of the complaints are hard to comprehend. For example, the character is slammed for preferring to have a female body-type vs a male one. Because "obviously" according to a TheMarySue writer, a warrior-woman would prefer to look more dude-like. Really? And that's supposed to be pro-woman point of view, they're actually saying a female body type isn't appropriate for a strong character?

Alita has fairly small breasts, but she has them. Because ... duh, she's female and females have breasts. Obvious answer right? But the feminist critic said that Alita should prefer not to have breasts because as a cyborg, she'd be more efficient without them, so she shouldn't want to look like that. This is the insane identity politics world we live in, where having strong female characters with female characteristics that all females have is somehow harmful to female viewers.

They want to tear down gender so much you can't exalt a female character who looks female now. They've got to be male-strong-type females. They've gone so far to the empowerment thing that they've gone out the other side where actually average females are now outside their acceptable zone of representation.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 12:55:25 am by Reelya »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #143367 on: March 09, 2019, 12:54:16 am »

Why is it like life-and-death to these groups, anyway?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143368 on: March 09, 2019, 12:55:47 am »

Wow, I thought it was weird enough that "progressive" types had basically wound up enforcing gender roles, but now they're saying women ought to be trying to look more like men? 🤔
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143369 on: March 09, 2019, 01:09:59 am »

I'll fish up the article. It was actually from screenrant, though themarysue has a bunch too

https://screenrant.com/alita-design-problem-big-eyes-body/

the point is that Alita gets hold of a male-type cyborg body, then modified it to suit how she preferred to look, which is more feminine. The article claims she has "large breasts" however, they are in fact much smaller and less-emphasized than Wonder Woman's.

Part of it reads:

it also doesn't make sense that any woman (human or cyborg) having the opportunity to transform their body into that of a warrior's would enlarge her breasts and trim her arms, waist and legs

But i have videos of female reviewers mocking this "speak for yourself!". The point is that the body she started with has zero breasts, then she added some breasts.

For examples of how actual women think warrior women should look in media, just look to the redesigned She-Ra on Netflix's animated show,

Here's that image. Basically, they have zero tits. They're drawn exactly like boys. It's supposed to be empowering for women to erase any trace of a female body-shape.
https://screenrant.com/netflix-she-ra-reboot-release-date-first-look/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 01:13:05 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 9556 9557 [9558] 9559 9560 ... 10978