Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9565 9566 [9567] 9568 9569 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12995881 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #143490 on: March 13, 2019, 11:16:09 am »

Well, I'll be darned with adamantine thread. That's actually a thing.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143491 on: March 13, 2019, 11:19:46 am »

I am rather curious about the graphics subsystem on this thing now.  Clearly it is doing some things differently than current tilesets do, judging from the images.  Depending on how it was implemented, I might try my hands at my own graphics pack for it.  (Not a fan of the way tiles get re-used by the current free version. Since it suggests 1080p resolution, that also suggests larger tile sprites which I would enjoy as well.)

I guess I have to wait for the thing to actually become available so I can purchase and then mod... We'll see.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143492 on: March 13, 2019, 11:24:25 am »

I'm just kinda wondering where the heck that trailer music came from.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #143493 on: March 13, 2019, 11:25:15 am »

I wonder if the steam exposure will lead to an influx of new forum-goers
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143494 on: March 13, 2019, 11:26:04 am »

This article--

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/03/13/dwarf-fortress-premium-version/

Suggests it is from "Dabu" of "Ko_op"

[thought of new forum regulars]

Oh dear. I hope this isn't our version of Eternal September...  We might have lots of belligerence showing up suddenly..

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #143495 on: March 13, 2019, 11:29:48 am »

YOU'RE ALL MINDLESS BASTARDS.

Oh, wait. New forum-goers? My bad :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143496 on: March 13, 2019, 11:37:00 am »

From my point of view, you are the new forum-goers.

We survived the pony invasion, the hentai thread, the rise of Various Nonsense's 2nd Reich, the moving fortress, the spammer wars... Hell, we even survived the damn penguins. This wave too shall break against our wall-with-an-overhang.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143497 on: March 13, 2019, 11:41:20 am »

(been around since .40d, Hardly a new comer you know, but I do bow my hat to the single-z-level veterans.)

(And yeah, remembers the pony invasion AND the British kitchen spambot)

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #143498 on: March 13, 2019, 12:07:55 pm »

oh my god the fucking pony thread... what a blast from the past...

The mention of new music has me thinking; who was the one that composed the DF theme (or DF classic theme, I guess)? I've always been fascinated with how complicated it is and how well it fits the general "descent into madness" theme of Fortress mode.

Meph and Mike working on the official tileset... that's cool. Didn't Meph put out masterwork DF? Is that even still a thing? Oh my god, i need to start playing DF again. Oh my god, I can finally make my friends play DF now that it's on steam.

Jeez, I don't even know how long I've been around here. I made an account when I was, like, 14. I'm 22 now. My profile says 2010, which sounds about right. Holy shit, I've been on these forums for nine years. Oh my god. I guess it doesn't seem like as long cause I go through such long periods of inactivity. Man. Remember the Homestuck thread? Remember the conquer the world forum games? Remember the stick dude quests? jeez, and VN... this isn't really what I was expecting to learn today.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143499 on: March 13, 2019, 12:11:54 pm »

BUT WHAT ABOUT MY LITTLE KNOWN NICHE FORUM ENVIRONMENT.

I'm actually super excited about this I am going to buy copies for everyone I know and become a cantankerous old grump in the Steam forums and mock the casuals this is going to be just super.

Quote from: The Steam page
The developers describe the content like this:

Dwarf Fortress contains detailed descriptions of violence, and 2D sprites inflicting violence on each other. The dwarves also drink alcohol heavily, and alcohol consumption is required for a fortress to run smoothly. Dwarves can experience mental anguish, and in extreme cases this can lead to them taking their own lives or the lives of others.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hahhaha ha ha
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 12:14:34 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #143500 on: March 13, 2019, 12:14:41 pm »

Hell, we even survived the damn penguins
*indignant penguin noises*

But yeah. The "is the forum dying" thread is now pretty ironic. We better brace ourselves for all the meme re-treading.

EDIT:
Jeez, I don't even know how long I've been around here. I made an account when I was, like, 14. I'm 22 now. My profile says 2010, which sounds about right. Holy shit, I've been on these forums for nine years. Oh my god. I guess it doesn't seem like as long cause I go through such long periods of inactivity. Man. Remember the Homestuck thread? Remember the conquer the world forum games? Remember the stick dude quests? jeez, and VN... this isn't really what I was expecting to learn today.
2010 high-five
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143501 on: March 13, 2019, 12:17:32 pm »

Someone I know is going to find out about the horrific sociopathic game of primal terror that I desperately try to avoid but also desperately attempt to master.

Yes this is the game I play where anytime my population ventures outside they vomit continuously for weeks. I make them do this for cranberries.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143502 on: March 13, 2019, 12:26:53 pm »

The mention of new music has me thinking; who was the one that composed the DF theme (or DF classic theme, I guess)? I've always been fascinated with how complicated it is and how well it fits the general "descent into madness" theme of Fortress mode.
Composed and performed by Tarn Adams. I think he's managed to misplace the tabs somewhere, but there was talk about it back in the old days.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143503 on: March 13, 2019, 12:33:55 pm »

BUT WHAT ABOUT MY LITTLE KNOWN NICHE FORUM ENVIRONMENT.

I'm actually super excited about this I am going to buy copies for everyone I know and become a cantankerous old grump in the Steam forums and mock the casuals this is going to be just super.

Quote from: The Steam page
The developers describe the content like this:

Dwarf Fortress contains detailed descriptions of violence, and 2D sprites inflicting violence on each other. The dwarves also drink alcohol heavily, and alcohol consumption is required for a fortress to run smoothly. Dwarves can experience mental anguish, and in extreme cases this can lead to them taking their own lives or the lives of others.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha hahhaha ha ha
Fuck, right, I need to return to the game and get good before the steam wave, I SHALL CLAIM MY VETERANS IN BATTLE!
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143504 on: March 13, 2019, 01:03:33 pm »

Yeah this premium version thing is a bit surprising. I guess it isn't too weird though because I'm pretty sure Unreal World does a similar thing. Paid for earlier access to new versions and some bonus stuff but eventually every update is free. I'll definitely be getting it, since having DF in my steam library might actually force me to play more.

Edit: Seems Meph and Mayday are doing the graphical stuff.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 01:06:46 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence
Pages: 1 ... 9565 9566 [9567] 9568 9569 ... 10973