Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9575 9576 [9577] 9578 9579 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12999834 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #143640 on: March 16, 2019, 06:53:56 pm »

Finally got around to checking out the lyrics to rum & coca cola to find out what an 'ankydalah' was.

Which is to say it wasn't. The lyrics are 'yankee dollar' and it turns out on top of the booze it's a song about prostitution. Catchy tune, though.

i swear to the non-existent gods one day i'm going to learn to just stop looking this stuff up
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #143641 on: March 16, 2019, 07:09:05 pm »

Bleh, on a similar note I found out the Money For Nothing by Dire Straights uses the F-word as a slur.  I never noticed until yesterday a friend shared a band that does groove-style covers of rock songs (so the vocals were easier to hear).
They were using it to describe themselves, but... bleh.

The cover band, Big Daddy is really cool though!  They covered Safety Dance for an example.  It reminds me a lot of the retro-swing remix fad which I always enjoyed.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #143642 on: March 16, 2019, 07:13:25 pm »

... Big Bad Voodoo Daddy or...?  *listens* oh gods no, that's not them, that's not them at all

swing is great, though, yeah, the new stuff, very much also which reminds me I really need to give some money to caravan palace... maybe tomorrow...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 07:15:13 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143643 on: March 16, 2019, 07:43:06 pm »

Bleh, on a similar note I found out the Money For Nothing by Dire Straights uses the F-word as a slur.
I believe there's a censored version that was recorded/dubbed with "queenie" instead, if that's preferable.

But yeah, using it to describe musicians like themselves, from the point of view of a couple blue-collar roughnecks. And Knopfler himself is British, and as such has been known to go 'round the shops for a couple o' fags. Desensitization and whatnot.

I mean, let's not forget the rest of the unsavory commentary/behavior from the personalities represented as narrating the lyrics. There's also the blatant and repeated objectification of women as a sex commodity, specifically with the ol' chorus of "Chicks for free" (which as a child I thought was supposed to mean literal juvenile chickens, something I reasoned was perfectly normal and understandable for a musician to desire and collect).

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143644 on: March 16, 2019, 08:03:15 pm »

Also "bangin' on the bongos like a chimpanzee" could be racist. And the term yo-yos for dumb mentally impaired people is ableist. The song is full of wrong things.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:05:32 pm by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143645 on: March 16, 2019, 08:26:59 pm »

Let's focus on the real bad thing about the song, and the Dire Straits in general: their freaking terrible music. Ugh.

As for my own WTF, I drank a lot of $5 schooners last night. At some point the special ended and the price went up to $7, but... I don't really remember much from that part of the evening, haha.
At least I didn't spend too much money. I was somewhat concerned when I checked my bank balance, but it turns out I withdrew a bunch of money but only spent about half of it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #143646 on: March 16, 2019, 08:28:31 pm »

Let's focus on the real bad thing about the song, and the Dire Straits in general: their freaking terrible music. Ugh.

I sentence thee to hang by the testicles until dead
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143647 on: March 16, 2019, 10:32:27 pm »

I sentence thee to hang by the testicles until dead
Yoink should be made aware that the rest of the album is quite good.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #143648 on: March 17, 2019, 02:05:11 am »

Also "bangin' on the bongos like a chimpanzee" could be racist.

he could just have fond memories of DK Country :P
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #143649 on: March 17, 2019, 03:07:28 am »

I heard from a Finnish person that they apparently sometimes use a rating scale that goes from 4 to 10, with 10 being the highest and 4 being the lowest.

I grow more and more convinced that these people do not actually exist.
That rating scale is for test scores in lower schools (universities use 1-5). The idea is that it's easy to calculate from the percentage of correct answers: <40% = 4 = fail, 40-50% = 5, 50-60% = 6 and so on. There's also half-points and pluses and minuses worth quarters to widen the range: 5, 5+, 51/2, 6-, 6 and so on
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #143650 on: March 17, 2019, 04:06:20 am »

For some reason, I was inspired to waste at least half an hour trying to figure out a good way to write 5 + 1/2 on the Bay12 forums. What I came up with was 51/2 or
Code: [Select]
[size=10pt]5[/size][size=8pt][sup]1[/sup][/size]/[size=8pt][sub]2[/sub][/size]I'm not sure what practical use this has, frankly.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143651 on: March 17, 2019, 04:11:10 am »

There's a unicode for that fraction..

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #143652 on: March 17, 2019, 04:12:41 am »

Sure, but how else do you write numbers like 2/2835?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143653 on: March 17, 2019, 04:22:35 am »

As a decimal, like a normal person? :P

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #143654 on: March 17, 2019, 04:33:33 am »

Alright, the exact value of 2/2835 written as a recurring decimal is 0.000705467372134038800, where the underlined section repeats.
I don't know, maybe I have some kind of obsession for writing numbers in ways that are not decimals.
Pages: 1 ... 9575 9576 [9577] 9578 9579 ... 10974