Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9578 9579 [9580] 9581 9582 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12996953 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #143685 on: March 19, 2019, 01:15:58 am »

https://www.foxnews.com/us/woman-shot-herself-in-the-head-while-cuffed-with-hands-behind-her-back-during-traffic-stop-police-say#

Also police body cameras suddenly turn off, eh ???
Definitely suicide!

Sounds like the time an investigative reporter shot himself in the head. Twice.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143686 on: March 19, 2019, 02:02:00 am »

Seriously.  This sounds like they need to start putting hidden body cams inside the damn buttons or badges, so that there is no convenient "oops! I dunno sarge, it must have shut itself off!" bullshit like this.  I get how these things can malfunction-- as a former IT guy, I TOTALLY understand how they can and will fail. (defective batteries, wires get broken from moving around)  So, instead we need redundancy.  Lots of redundancy.  With units the police do not know about, and must never know about.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #143687 on: March 19, 2019, 02:17:53 am »

Seriously.  This sounds like they need to start putting hidden body cams inside the damn buttons or badges, so that there is no convenient "oops! I dunno sarge, it must have shut itself off!" bullshit like this.  I get how these things can malfunction-- as a former IT guy, I TOTALLY understand how they can and will fail. (defective batteries, wires get broken from moving around)  So, instead we need redundancy.  Lots of redundancy.  With units the police do not know about, and must never know about.
How the zog are you going to pull that off? They're not stupid, they'd notice something like that. Especially with your rather silly statement they can never know.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143688 on: March 19, 2019, 02:26:23 am »

A police badge is large and heavy. There is plenty of room for a hidden camera installation. Similar story for a police belt (which is about 8mm thick, and heavy), and a number of other police clothing items.

If you make them passively accessed (such as via blutooth only), and mechanically self charging (for badge, all the body movment; for belt, mechanical action of taking the belt on and off, using low power elecontrics and something like piezoelectric accumulators) you can hide them quite effectively.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #143689 on: March 19, 2019, 02:32:32 am »

Until you use them in court for the first time, after which the cat is out of the bag and you gotta find something else to cram a camera in.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143690 on: March 19, 2019, 02:46:33 am »

Once the cat is out of the bag, it still continues working after a fashion.  There are multiple redundant camera, several of which have no off switch, and which are integrated into mandatory uniform attire.  It makes it significantly less plausible for there to be an instrumentation failure.  The more redundancies you have, the harder it is to have a legitimate failure to record an interaction with the public, and when it does happen, the more likely it is to have been the result of deliberate action, especially since the other cameras will record the movements to deactivate one.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143691 on: March 19, 2019, 03:28:45 am »

Huh, Myspace reportedly "lost" all their data over 3 years old due to fucking up a server migration.

https://it.slashdot.org/story/19/03/18/146215/myspace-has-reportedly-lost-all-photos-videos-and-songs-uploaded-over-12-years-due-to-data-corruption-during-a-server-migration-project

Andy Baio, one of the people behind Kickstarter, tweeted that it could mean millions of songs uploaded between the site's Aug. 1, 2003 launch and 2015 are gone for good. "Myspace accidentally lost all the music uploaded from its first 12 years in a server migration, losing over 50 million songs from 14 million artists," he wrote Sunday. "I'm deeply skeptical this was an accident. Flagrant incompetence may be bad PR, but it still sounds better than 'we can't be bothered with the effort and cost of migrating and hosting 50 million old MP3s,'" Baio noted.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143692 on: March 19, 2019, 03:31:00 am »

And nothing of value was lost.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #143693 on: March 19, 2019, 03:42:03 am »

Myspace still exists? Who uses it?

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #143694 on: March 19, 2019, 04:43:25 am »

It looks like an entertainment news aggregate now, not anything that real people would have an account on.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143695 on: March 19, 2019, 04:45:29 am »

Myspace still exists? Who uses it?

Don't be too quick to dismiss "dead" sites. They usually have a lot of activity, it's just that everyone focuses on the "new" thing. Myspace was still getting 50 million unique monthly visitors as of 2015. Sure, that's small next to Facebook but it's still almost 1% of the entire world's population, and a bigger chunk of the digitally-connected world population.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143696 on: March 19, 2019, 04:59:08 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:49:40 am by dragdeler »
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143697 on: March 19, 2019, 09:30:11 am »

Kotaku covers a neat project.

https://kotaku.com/ocarina-of-time-is-now-playable-in-co-op-1833365718

Progress is still being made, but the current status looks VERY playable to me.  I actually look forward to this. It looks like it would be lots of fun to gang-bang a dungeon. Water temple sounds like it would be especially fun. (and frustrating, with different players all jacking with the water level.)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143698 on: March 19, 2019, 09:38:22 am »

Kotaku covers a neat project.

https://kotaku.com/ocarina-of-time-is-now-playable-in-co-op-1833365718

Progress is still being made, but the current status looks VERY playable to me.  I actually look forward to this. It looks like it would be lots of fun to gang-bang a dungeon. Water temple sounds like it would be especially fun. (and frustrating, with different players all jacking with the water level.)

I'm astonished at the ongoing orgy of programmers that are infatuated with Ocarina of Time. I've seen multiple (highly edited) let's plays with the game modded to hell and back, everything randomized, all nonessential items replaced with ice traps, one hit KO, and one mod that was for Super Mario 64 but it changed the entire game into a recreation of OoT.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143699 on: March 19, 2019, 09:43:13 am »

yes, but those are all single player.

AND, because this is a framework in an emulator, it might be possible to do this with master quest, et al as well.

I just imagine a "bay 12 plays OoT" session, and the hysterics that could happen.
Pages: 1 ... 9578 9579 [9580] 9581 9582 ... 10973