Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9580 9581 [9582] 9583 9584 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12996535 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #143715 on: March 20, 2019, 05:04:31 am »

"High-strength cannabis increases risk of mental health problems"

No... The study showed that there's a correlation between high-strength, frequent cannabis usage and psychotic disorders. It didn't prove causation, unless that part has been inconveniently left out. It's almost like people self-medicate or something.

It doesn't even conclusively show that there's a correlation between high-strength usage and psychotic disorders, because they don't actually know what kind of strength people were getting (everything was based on patient testimony, and the relative strength was "estimated from the name individuals gave to the drug").

Do we need more research into the link between cannabis use and mental health? Yes, absolutely, and lots of it. Does this study prove anything beyond that? No, no it does not.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143716 on: March 20, 2019, 05:33:04 am »

This is especially poignant, because people with psychiatric disorders will OFTEN self-medicate!

This paper deals with the phenomenon with heroin, but the same causalities discussed would also apply to cannabis.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Edward_Khantzian/publication/236050477_Addiction_as_a_self-regulation_disorder_and_the_role_of_self-medication/links/5b3d74e2aca2720785119b48/Addiction-as-a-self-regulation-disorder-and-the-role-of-self-medication.pdf

Until you adjust for the self-medication rates, the perceived association is ONLY that. An association.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #143717 on: March 20, 2019, 06:10:58 am »

Kotaku covers a neat project.

https://kotaku.com/ocarina-of-time-is-now-playable-in-co-op-1833365718

Progress is still being made, but the current status looks VERY playable to me.  I actually look forward to this. It looks like it would be lots of fun to gang-bang a dungeon. Water temple sounds like it would be especially fun. (and frustrating, with different players all jacking with the water level.)

I'm astonished at the ongoing orgy of programmers that are infatuated with Ocarina of Time. I've seen multiple (highly edited) let's plays with the game modded to hell and back, everything randomized, all nonessential items replaced with ice traps, one hit KO, and one mod that was for Super Mario 64 but it changed the entire game into a recreation of OoT.

Hot take: OoT was just barely alright.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143718 on: March 20, 2019, 06:26:27 am »

I am surprised nintendo has not released a version of zelda that has multiplay capacity actually.  Dungeon mechanics design could be radically more complex, if you could coordinate with another player in another part of it.  Each would have their own mess of stuff to deal with, but their progress is essential to the other players' progress, by activating parts of the dungeon.

A narrative hook like in 4-swords could be used to explain where there are multiple instances of Link.  Single player mode could abuse a time-travel mechanic to have link do each part of the dungeon separately, but have all playthroughs overlap to fully defeat the dungeon.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #143719 on: March 20, 2019, 06:57:16 am »

He’s a haemotologist (or so he says) so spelling isn’t a strong point.
I mean, I can provide casual proof if you're really insistent and promise not to dox me  :P
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143720 on: March 20, 2019, 07:00:40 am »

I am surprised nintendo has not released a version of zelda that has multiplay capacity actually.  Dungeon mechanics design could be radically more complex, if you could coordinate with another player in another part of it.  Each would have their own mess of stuff to deal with, but their progress is essential to the other players' progress, by activating parts of the dungeon.

A narrative hook like in 4-swords could be used to explain where there are multiple instances of Link.  Single player mode could abuse a time-travel mechanic to have link do each part of the dungeon separately, but have all playthroughs overlap to fully defeat the dungeon.

Nintendo's litmus test for most of their games seems to be "Can a 8 year old child realistically understand and beat the game?" and if no then they scale it back in difficulty and complexity. Cooperation is something that is difficulty for adults, let alone children.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #143721 on: March 20, 2019, 07:02:37 am »

He’s a haemotologist (or so he says) so spelling isn’t a strong point.
I mean, I can provide casual proof if you're really insistent and promise not to dox me  :P

All we need is your license plate
Love, scriver~

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #143722 on: March 20, 2019, 07:05:50 am »

Four Swords Adventurers
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143723 on: March 20, 2019, 07:16:54 am »

^---

Not quite what I meant, since that kinda defacto requires all the players to stay on (or close by) the same game area at the same time.  I was thinking more "4 vastly different entrances and exits to a single dungeon" where each link's progress through the dungeon changes things in the other parts of the dungeon outside of their view or (immediate) knowledge.  Think more like OoT's water temple; where instead of back-tracking through the stupid water level setting tower in the middle to change the water level, each player individually crosses that area, one at a time, and changes the water level in the other parts of the dungeon, sometimes to the benefit of the other players, sometimes to their amusing detriment.

For example--

Consider that water in an enclosed system has to go SOMEWHERE if you lower the water level in the section you are currently in, and vice-versa.

One link enters the reservoir portion of the dungeon's plumbing to fight a miniboss, say a giant fish or something.  Another link needs to flood his section of the dungeon in order to cross a chasm; Suddenly the fish is no longer swimming in the water, as the water gets pumped out to fill the room the other link is trying to navigate-- etc.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 07:20:03 am by wierd »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143724 on: March 20, 2019, 07:41:21 am »

The fuck, Steam?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 08:02:42 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #143725 on: March 20, 2019, 07:42:47 am »

The image is broken for me, scriver.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143727 on: March 20, 2019, 07:47:07 am »

2 things.

1) Source is HTTPS. SMF forum software cannot handle https linkage. You need a host that can fallback to http, like postimages.org

2) Actual URL is 404ed.  Likely it was a time limited session url, or one that requires a session cookie for the server to respond.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143728 on: March 20, 2019, 08:05:41 am »

I don't understand how to link images from dropbox, here's a link link, does it work?
Love, scriver~

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143729 on: March 20, 2019, 08:10:37 am »

Source does not fall back to http, but resolves fine in a new tab over https.  This is an issue with SMF forum software.  Post it at postimages.org.

Like so:

Pages: 1 ... 9580 9581 [9582] 9583 9584 ... 10973