Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9678 9679 [9680] 9681 9682 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13003138 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #145185 on: May 22, 2019, 12:39:03 pm »

Here’s one for ya, is GMO organic?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145186 on: May 22, 2019, 12:45:02 pm »

Yes, Geneticaly Modified Organisms are indeed organic. Pretty much all organisms are.

Edit: I find it strange that food is sometimes labeled "Bio" or "Organic". Both of these are true about pretty much everything we would want to eat anyway, salt being an exeption.
Both "organic" and "bio" just mean that the product is in some way related to life.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 12:51:43 pm by Mathel »
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145187 on: May 22, 2019, 01:12:51 pm »

Both "organic" and "bio" just mean that the product is in some way related to life.

"Organic", at least in a scientific context, means that a molecule contains at least one bond between carbon and another element.

In a commercial context, it mostly means "marketed toward chemophobes."

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145188 on: May 22, 2019, 06:19:15 pm »

"Organic", at least in a scientific context, means that a molecule contains at least one bond between carbon and another element.

Is limestone organic then?  ;)

I find it strange that food is sometimes labeled "Bio" or "Organic". Both of these are true about pretty much everything we would want to eat anyway, salt being an exeption.

Of course, that doesn’t stop corporations from calling salt “organic” too.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #145189 on: May 22, 2019, 06:21:26 pm »

I find it strange that food is sometimes labeled "Bio" or "Organic". Both of these are true about pretty much everything we would want to eat anyway, salt being an exeption.

Of course, that doesn’t stop corporations from calling salt “organic” too.

Technically? Yes! Limestone is typically the remains of shelled organisms compressed over time.

As for the food definition of organic, it typically means no lab-synthesized chemicals were used on the process of its growth. Manure instead of fertilizers and some really nasty stuff instead of synthetic pesticides.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #145190 on: May 22, 2019, 06:38:25 pm »

The foodstuff definition is kind of a marketed term; lifted from its original context.  it was developed as an addendum to the scientific term and has become entrenched as a household name.  The word still implies a US backed certification though.  And presumably other countries have similar standards.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145191 on: May 22, 2019, 09:28:12 pm »

Technically? Yes! Limestone is typically the remains of shelled organisms compressed over time.

Even more technically, functionally yes but formally no*, because rocks aren't chemicals. Minerals are, although there's some additional structural data there too so it's not 1:1, but petrology doesn't usefully define exact chemical compositions for rocks because they vary so widely. Calcium carbonate is organic, so calcite is, but limestone isn't that kind of thing.

So asking if limestone is organic is much like asking if eggs are levorotatory; even though there's an answer that's more correct than the alternative, it's enough of a kludge that people could spend all day arguing over whether it's right and learn nothing.

EDIT before some pedant jumps in: *also definitionally no because carbonates are among the compounds that meet the general definition of being organic but aren't considered so for historical reasons, which is a nice way to say "we realized vitalism was wrong too late to fix the taxonomy we built around it"

tl;dr:

Mu.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 09:44:15 pm by Trekkin »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145192 on: May 22, 2019, 11:29:23 pm »

So, I decided to solder on a UART header on my NAS box's mainboard last night.

The through-holes for the header were poorly wetted with solder, and were corroded/oxidized. 

Two hours later, with lots of babying and repeated application of noclean, I managed to wet TWO of the through holes. (It's a 4 pin header).  The other two? Fuck no. Solder NOT going through the holes at all.

I just freaking love technology.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145193 on: May 23, 2019, 12:17:44 am »

I definitely remember seeing a definition of “organic” that excluded calcium carbonate before. I guess there are conflicting definitions, like with so many other terms.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145194 on: May 23, 2019, 12:48:30 am »

carbonates can be the result of purely geological processes, and this is the thinking behind the exclusion.

It's purely a fallacy of course, carbon is carbon no matter how it got there. 

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145195 on: May 23, 2019, 12:57:48 am »

I definitely remember seeing a definition of “organic” that excluded calcium carbonate before. I guess there are conflicting definitions, like with so many other terms.

Yeah, so have I, but it's trivial to poke holes in those definitions. For example, I was taught in middle school that organic compounds have carbon-hydrogen bonds, but tetranitromethane is organic and contains no hydrogen at all.

"Has carbon" is about the closest we can come to a consensus definition, and there's no real need to define it precisely anyway since it's not a meaningful demarcation. This idea that we need separate organic and inorganic chemistries is a relic of a bygone age that has persisted because it's handy, not because it's real.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #145196 on: May 23, 2019, 01:12:45 am »

The Norwegian version of the "Organic" food label is "Økologisk"... Meaning it's Ecological food.

Which is obviously a vastly superior and more specific term.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #145197 on: May 23, 2019, 01:21:48 am »

It's just eco-logical
Love, scriver~

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #145198 on: May 23, 2019, 04:08:36 am »

Finnish uses luonnonmukainen, shortened to luomu, meaning "nature-emulating". Essentially, organic farming is a fanfic of how the plant or animal might grow in nature (if it wasn't selectively bred to a point where it wouldn't survive without human aid).
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #145199 on: May 23, 2019, 09:07:24 am »

Can I download this ‘nature-emulator’ on my lapto? Or do I need to download more RAM first?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 9678 9679 [9680] 9681 9682 ... 10974