Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9696 9697 [9698] 9699 9700 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13177937 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #145455 on: June 12, 2019, 03:42:27 pm »

Found a little tidbit for my upcoming dystopian novel about a chosen girl who is plain but gorgeous.

The magical elite army are referred to as the Grisha, which is just a diminutive form of the name Grigori. It's like naming a magical army 'Greg'.
Greg5?

That doesn't sound catchy at all....

I used to think that about common names until I met the Gary clones back in the late 2000's.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145456 on: June 12, 2019, 04:32:53 pm »

The pokemon community is having a apoplectic meltdown right now because the devs are implementing a new policy where the player is unable to transfer all of their old pokemon to the new game, yet again making "gotta catch em' all" a blatant lie.
Sure, the 3DS games can feature all 800+ mons, but the Switch? That's too much to ask for!
This is the developer of the HIGHEST GROSSING MEDIA FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME

FFFFFFFF-

How hard is it to simply update the (paid subscription-based) Pokemon Bank app for the Switch? Create a separate version for the Switch, but add specific Sw/Sh boxes -  that won't show up on the 3DS version of Bank - that if you were to try to move a Pokemon from Gen VI-VII to, it would require a confirmation before converting the Pokemon to the Gen VIII data format and prevent it from being moved back to the prior generations' boxes. I thought the whole point of the Bank app was to ensure easier means to move Your Dudes up from generation to generation.

The only reason to not allow moving old-gen Pokemon up is that Gen VIII will very drastically change the data format to the point where you cannot convert old Pokemon to the new format. And that has some possibly unpleasant implications about how Sw/Sh will play
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #145457 on: June 12, 2019, 04:48:43 pm »

According to the Pokemon people, the issue is that, since the Switch is considerably more powerful than the handheld systems, they want to make the Pokemon much more detailed and expressive, along with some kind of "supersizing" feature. Given that there are over 800 of the things, this would mean a massive amount of modelling work to get the entire library on there.

Honestly, that's a pretty good reason as far as I'm concerned, and there are too many of the things anyway.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145458 on: June 12, 2019, 04:55:00 pm »

Well, why not finance that by making each generation a separate DLC? You could even do it on a per-Pokemon basis.

And then Gen IX can be Pokemon Microtransaction and Pokemon Lootbox.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #145459 on: June 12, 2019, 05:01:27 pm »

That's a viable solution, but will be regarded as "greedy" by people who have no idea how much work and expense this kind of thing actually entails.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #145460 on: June 12, 2019, 05:04:16 pm »

Honestly, that's a pretty good reason as far as I'm concerned, and there are too many of the things anyway.
You’re not wrong. Who wants to have to model and implement Klefki or Trubbish? No-one’s ever going to want to catch them specifically (Except the die-hards)(And the Clefki Cultists)
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #145461 on: June 12, 2019, 06:21:39 pm »

That's a viable solution, but will be regarded as "greedy" by people who have no idea how much work and expense this kind of thing actually entails.

That's 'cause what they're doing adds very little value to the game in relation to the expense of doing it.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145462 on: June 12, 2019, 06:28:07 pm »

I don't know the details, but I'm guessing that the 3DS lets you pull sprite packs for any older pokemon into each new game? Yeah, I can understand why they're not setting it up so they have to implemented 3D animated and rigged models for the entire 800, just for the like 2% of players who will want any specific one, and who will be satisfied that they pulled all 800 pokemon into the new game for all of 2 minutes before they get bored with it.

Sometimes if you pander to specific groups of players you end up losing money, and then they won't have the resources or backing to many any more Pokemon games. Having a reboot with a more limited stable of pokemon actually makes it more accessible to new players, which they need to make future games commercially viable. If they launched Pokemon on the switch with all 800 Pokemon at launch, and a very small subset of players all instantly had the whole stable, while all new players were facing a game where you have to collect and upgrade 800 critters, then new players would find this overwhelming and not be able to "collect them all" without hundreds of hours of grinding.

So, it's not just the cost of adding the Pokemon, it's that creating a base game with 800 collectable critters is a really bad game design decision from the get-go in terms of how it's treating your different types of player-base. For example, fill me in on how this works: if you bought the last 3DS pokemon game do you get access to all 800 Pokemon, or just the ones from that game, and you're able to import all the others from previous games? If they did that on the Switch, then they'd have to make all the 3D assets and animations for 800 pokemons, then lock them away so that nobody can access them unless they import them from previous games. Or, they could have all 800 unlocked for everyone. Both these options suck for new players, for different reasons.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:51:29 pm by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #145463 on: June 12, 2019, 06:50:49 pm »

There was a previous 3D leap in the franchise with X and Y, but the DS was much lower res, meaning that the initial transition of the existing critters probably wasn't quite as daunting a task (and reusing those models would look like crap). Pokemon Go debuted with only the original 151, while Let's Go! didn't have the full dex either (as far as I know). Sword and Shield looks to be a major evolution from Let's Go!, meaning that even those models would probably need updating.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145464 on: June 12, 2019, 07:14:13 pm »

Here's a question: What happens to those pokemon not allowed on the switch, do they just never enter a new pokemon game ever again, do we just forget they exist? Or do they add them into a later game, making the whole thing seem pointless?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145465 on: June 12, 2019, 07:15:14 pm »

They are eventually going to hit a point where including all nine thousand Pokemon or what have you requires some sort of reboot.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145466 on: June 12, 2019, 07:51:48 pm »

I await the inevitable dark and gritty Pokemon reboot.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #145467 on: June 12, 2019, 08:17:23 pm »

Here's a question: What happens to those pokemon not allowed on the switch, do they just never enter a new pokemon game ever again, do we just forget they exist? Or do they add them into a later game, making the whole thing seem pointless?
There's this Pokemon Home app that they're touting as a replacement for the Pokemon Bank. It's a one way transfer, with transferred pokemon only compatible with Shield/Sword. If your pokemon's not in the Galar region well tough shit its stuck in the cloud
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #145468 on: June 12, 2019, 08:36:12 pm »

How about they add a "retro mode" where players can battle each other with 2D sprite graphics. All they'd have to do is create sprites for every Pokemon and move Gen VI and beyond. Minimal effort, minimal data footprint.

Or they could have a mode that reuses the 3D Alola models and forbids the use of Galar Pokemon and mechanics, since data shouldn't be an issue for Switch.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145469 on: June 12, 2019, 09:02:53 pm »

I await the inevitable dark and gritty Pokemon reboot.

Like cyberpunk dystopia? I suppose a dark and gritty reboot would be fine for manga, but it's not going to work well in the kids market. I wouldn't be surprised if there was already a dark and gritty reboot somewhere due to the zillions of Pokemon clones and not!Pokemon monster fighting games out there.
Pages: 1 ... 9696 9697 [9698] 9699 9700 ... 10983