Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9710 9711 [9712] 9713 9714 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13208446 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #145665 on: June 24, 2019, 03:21:28 am »

In this specific case, I would think that there would be issues related to chromatin packing.

In humans, two ancestral chromosomes are implicated in an unusual fusion process, where one completely inverted, and then fused to the other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromosome_2

Due to the very different orientation of a large section of chromosome 2 (compared with the same sequences in the chimp's non-fused chromosomes), and the different packaging in the nucleus, genetic expression levels will almost certainly be affected.  This can lead to a wide assortment of complications.

Additionally, when considering fertility, one needs to be reminded that differences in the acrosome binding protein will prevent sperm cells from binding with the zona of the target ovum during fertilization.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrosome_reaction

Significant divergence between the proteins of the zona, and the enzymes present in the acrosome, will prevent fertility.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #145666 on: June 24, 2019, 03:21:42 am »

Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #145667 on: June 24, 2019, 07:15:41 am »

Till it ends up to have human-like intelligence and the ability to speak and now your research team will be remembered as the guys that made the Truman Show in real life.

Just raise them to be an Otaku and they'll never want to leave their containment anyway
Love, scriver~

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #145668 on: June 24, 2019, 08:07:29 am »

Discord is apparently being affected by "the general internet outage".

I can still access this website and all, but I can't seem to say the same for Discord - and my cell phone's internet is really slow, which may or may not be a related issue.

Anyone else getting this problem?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #145669 on: June 24, 2019, 08:09:25 am »

This site is weird.  I could have next to no internet, due to wifi issues or even wired network problem, and this site will still load about half the time.

SMF is magic.  Im pretty sure it pre-caches the future.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145670 on: June 24, 2019, 09:41:19 am »

I've had that, and it was down to HTTP vs HTTPS. Port 80 is old faithful. Try running through a port 80 or port 8080 proxy.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #145671 on: June 24, 2019, 10:09:24 am »

It wasn't quite as far-reaching as Discord's dire message applied. I saw one theory that it was principally Cloudflare-based sites that went down, which doesn't seem unreasonable.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #145672 on: June 24, 2019, 12:11:43 pm »

And today's "most painful book title seen" award goes to Jean Plaidy's "Here Lies Our Sovereign Lord", a story about some king's affairs with multiple women.

Technically there's about four hours of work left today but I'm just going to go ahead and call it. The blatancy actually gave me a small headache.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145673 on: June 24, 2019, 01:35:59 pm »

Yeah I was playing online games and had discord go down- and be the only thing which went down.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #145674 on: June 24, 2019, 01:36:41 pm »

-re: memory-
(jumping into this conversation because its a cool topic not because I'm any kind of expert)

But my understanding of sensory information is that the brain "fakes" processing a lot of it.  Like your sight, basically the brain knows what's around you so it just fakes most of what you see outside of a relatively small circle where your eyes are focused.  All it notices outside that circle is movement.  This is why people can be shockingly bad at seeing things; like looking all over for an item and then finding it lying on a table somewhere, or no one at a boardgame noticing when someone is stealing another person's items/chips.  This is why (non-paranoid) schizophrenia can mean that the brain simply isn't processing sensory information correctly, so its "fake" info increasingly has nothing to do with reality.

So the idea of a photographic memory is kind of... questionable.  It would imply not only unusual memory but unusual focus.  Cause you can't remember something you didn't see and most people don't naturally notice every detail of a scene.  The way long term memory works for more people is also heavily linked to the idea of importance.  Like you only remember things that you think are important and drop the rest.  Now the brain isn't a computer but it is still a physical thing and memories do need to be physically represented somehow in your brain.  So I feel like being able to connect memories with every calendar day has to have some kind of consequence for your brain functioning.  Like maybe she has a harder time remember things not specifically related to her, like skills or data (like remembering the dates of historical events or multiplication tables).
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145675 on: June 24, 2019, 04:19:11 pm »

internet or computer briefly decided that it couldn't find any website's servers, and then it decided not to do that after like a minute

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #145676 on: June 24, 2019, 05:09:16 pm »

The real answer, of course, is to run into the hills, herd bizzare mutant sheep, remember only what has yet to occur, and then, finally, whenever you should juggle beetroots, you will get the ultimate and most perfect internet connection ever. It gets annoying when the mutant sheep don’t turn out bizarre enough, though.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145677 on: June 25, 2019, 02:24:07 am »

-re: memory-
(jumping into this conversation because its a cool topic not because I'm any kind of expert)

But my understanding of sensory information is that the brain "fakes" processing a lot of it.  Like your sight, basically the brain knows what's around you so it just fakes most of what you see outside of a relatively small circle where your eyes are focused.  All it notices outside that circle is movement.  This is why people can be shockingly bad at seeing things; like looking all over for an item and then finding it lying on a table somewhere, or no one at a boardgame noticing when someone is stealing another person's items/chips.  This is why (non-paranoid) schizophrenia can mean that the brain simply isn't processing sensory information correctly, so its "fake" info increasingly has nothing to do with reality.

So the idea of a photographic memory is kind of... questionable.  It would imply not only unusual memory but unusual focus.  Cause you can't remember something you didn't see and most people don't naturally notice every detail of a scene.  The way long term memory works for more people is also heavily linked to the idea of importance.  Like you only remember things that you think are important and drop the rest.  Now the brain isn't a computer but it is still a physical thing and memories do need to be physically represented somehow in your brain.  So I feel like being able to connect memories with every calendar day has to have some kind of consequence for your brain functioning.  Like maybe she has a harder time remember things not specifically related to her, like skills or data (like remembering the dates of historical events or multiplication tables).

That's covered in the articles I linked. The person in question has a poor short-term memory but once things become long-term they stick forever. She has memories from age 12 days old and can put specific dates on memories from when she was around 1 year old. It's not the same thing as photographic memory.

Generally, people with "super-memories" on one sense often have crippling mental issues in other areas:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon_Shereshevsky

Shereshevsky participated in many behavioral studies, most of them carried out by the neuropsychologist Alexander Luria over a thirty-year time span. He met Luria after an anecdotal event in which he was told off for not taking any notes while attending a work meeting in the mid-1920s[1]. To the astonishment of everyone there (and to his own astonishment in realizing that others could apparently not do so), he could recall the speech word by word. Along the years Shereshevsky was asked to memorize complex mathematical formulas, huge matrices and even poems in foreign languages and did so in a matter of minutes.[2] Despite his astounding memory performance, Shereshevsky scored no better than average in intelligence tests.

He had an active imagination, which helped him generate useful mnemonics. He claimed that his condition often produced unnecessary and distracting images or feelings. He had trouble memorizing information whose intended meaning differed from its literal one, as well as trouble recognizing faces, which he saw as "very changeable". He also occasionally had problems reading, because the written words evoked distracting sensations.

similar to children with eidetic (visual) memories, this guys super memory was at odds with abstraction, and he had a problem with faces being maleable since his memory was very literal, so any deformation of the face made it hard to reconcile with his memory-version. The point with faces is that to recognize a face, you need to construct a mental model of the face and recognize distorted versions of it: i.e. versions you've never seen before. Therefore, recognizing faces requires "fake" memories: if you say "I've seen that face before" you're actually lying to yourself, because for any face, you've probably never seen that exact version of the face at all.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 02:42:08 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145678 on: June 25, 2019, 03:17:47 am »

I just went nuts in the supermarket and did the biggest grocery shop of my entire freakin' life. o____o   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145679 on: June 25, 2019, 03:52:17 am »

I find myself wanting to design a custom EMS ISA card for obsolete 386 class computers, for reasons I am having difficulty clarifying even to myself.

It might have something to do with the (nowdays) inexpensive SRAM DIPs out there, and also just for fun I guess... but wtf.  I dont even have a 386 class machine to upgrade in the first place.

Pages: 1 ... 9710 9711 [9712] 9713 9714 ... 10984