Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9724 9725 [9726] 9727 9728 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12999121 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #145875 on: July 06, 2019, 06:33:27 pm »

More of a racial thing, apparently. The flag existed at a time of slavery and so therefore is an icon of slavery.
Hahaha, I just googled this "betsy ross" business. Colin Kaepernick is even more of a dumbass than I realised (the article I read placed the blame for Nike's decision on him, which wouldn't surprise considering their recent advertising decisions).

Also I don't know about you, but we were taught about the Eureka stockade in school...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145876 on: July 06, 2019, 06:51:59 pm »

Ah, no. Must disagree. What he's done is a terrible decision from a financial standpoint.

His goal, as before, is to garner attention of any kind in an attempt to draw that attention to what he believes is the plight of African Americans in America. He's gotten plenty of attention with his stunt, as was no doubt intended, and has continued to use the spotlight to speak his piece.

It's true that this has backfired, though. He's basically turned an neutral piece of history into a rallying point for racism.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #145877 on: July 06, 2019, 07:00:15 pm »

I think he’s lost a bit of credibility with this one. Kneeling during the anthem was good and all, using his platform as a starting QB in the NFL to draw attention to a problem with the way authorities dealt with minorities, and he kept doing it throughout a great deal of criticism, and pretty much lost his career because of it. Settled lawsuit for undisclosed amount aside, and however many years he got as a well-paid starter, too.

This was stupid. Now anytime he says something about racism or anything like that, this’ll be brought up, because it was a non-issue in the first place, and that’ll shade whatever he’s chatting about in the future as a non-issue too.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145878 on: July 06, 2019, 07:40:47 pm »

My antivirus decided(apparently on the 4th) that Prison Architect is malware, and completely refuses to pay attention to its own exceptions list or do anything I tell it to do to the virus chest. After several attempts at reinstalling, it's stuck saying "Content File Locked". Based on Steam's support page, I tried to clear the download cache, except I discovered that "Clear Download Cache" actually means "logout, restart steam, and also turn off automatic login". And it's still locked.

Now I'm trying to repair the library folder. And according to that particular function, my steam library takes up 1.4TB. On a 2TB drive.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145879 on: July 06, 2019, 08:24:24 pm »

Is it a non-issue though? Nike did recall the shoes after all, and now that he has come out in favour of this view tumblr and Twitter have jumped on board.

Seems the goalposts might shift, and if so that’s seriously awful.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #145880 on: July 06, 2019, 08:28:04 pm »

When even the ADL calls a racism claim nonsense, it isn't going to have much in the way of legs. Few take Tumblr seriously unless they're looking for somebody to mock, and Twitter has a short shelf life even though the posts stay.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145881 on: July 06, 2019, 10:10:53 pm »

I was gonna say it would be hilarious if the OG 'Murican flag suddenly became known as a "racist symbol", same as the confederate flag... but then I realised plenty of lefties probably consider the modern-day US flag to be such a thing already. *shrug*   

Edit: speaking of flags, @Tack have you heard/read about our old flag? Apparently it originally had a red background and looked far more badass and distinctive than the plain jane we have now. I kinda want to fly the Blood and Guts flag, haha.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #145882 on: July 06, 2019, 10:13:24 pm »

plenty of foreigners consider the flag a symbol of corruption, materialism, ham-fisted imperialism, and general ignorance.  I mean racism isnt too far off the mark, considering how much press race relations get here.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #145883 on: July 06, 2019, 10:19:40 pm »

‘tis the problem with symbols: the same symbol can mean different things to different people, and those meanings change over time.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145884 on: July 06, 2019, 10:45:05 pm »

plenty of foreigners consider the flag a symbol of corruption, materialism, ham-fisted imperialism, and general ignorance.  I mean racism isnt too far off the mark, considering how much press race relations get here.

... It’s literally just the US flag before there were more than 13 states. I don’t understand how that follows.

If anything, the current flag with its 50 stars is a symbol of imperialism.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145885 on: July 06, 2019, 11:45:43 pm »

Pretty sure Pisskop was referring to the current flag.

‘tis the problem with symbols: the same symbol can mean different things to different people, and those meanings change over time.
Just look at what they did to poor old rainbows!  :'(   
Booze is Life for Yoink

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145886 on: July 06, 2019, 11:56:55 pm »

Feels like everything old is awful and offensive for some reason or another.  Or they diddled someone.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145887 on: July 07, 2019, 12:08:30 am »

I was gonna say it would be hilarious if the OG 'Murican flag suddenly became known as a "racist symbol", same as the confederate flag... but then I realised plenty of lefties probably consider the modern-day US flag to be such a thing already. *shrug*   

Edit: speaking of flags, @Tack have you heard/read about our old flag? Apparently it originally had a red background and looked far more badass and distinctive than the plain jane we have now. I kinda want to fly the Blood and Guts flag, haha.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Australia You mean the one currently used for merchant vessels? That’s the only one on the page with a red background.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145888 on: July 07, 2019, 12:10:06 am »

Unrelated, but I always have a devil of a time trying to decide how to respond to compliments. Argh.

Fakeedit: yes, the Red Ensign. Apparently it used to be used more widely by civilians in general. I think it looks wicked cool.
Booze is Life for Yoink

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #145889 on: July 07, 2019, 12:45:40 am »

I'm currently on ⅓ of the normal dose of my stimulants, and I have no clue what I'm feeling now. It's probably paranoia, but it's too weak to say much about it.
Pages: 1 ... 9724 9725 [9726] 9727 9728 ... 10974