Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9727 9728 [9729] 9730 9731 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13004353 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #145920 on: July 08, 2019, 09:02:41 am »

I don't know about the tail idea, but the general idea was that you keep your arms straight back and tight against your body while crouched over and run forward. The idea is to minimize noise and size and visible movement. The naruto version where they run like the wind with arms flailing wildly behind them is not accurate, funnily enough.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:04:27 am by Reelya »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #145921 on: July 08, 2019, 09:34:13 am »

I don't think anyone truly thinks they couldn't do it. I think they'd like to believe they wouldn't do it.
If 53000 people were storming the secret military base I was guarding, I would shoot first and ask questions later.
Soldiers have shot and killed people for less, and in this case the people are dehumanized by being a horde.
Admittedly that's mostly in fully authoritarian places, but still. If you're banking on soldiers not shooting you, you're not thinking clearly.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145922 on: July 08, 2019, 09:53:13 am »

If 53000 people were storming the secret military base I was guarding, I would shoot first and ask questions later.

Yeah, but of 53,000 people willing to click an event from “Shitposting cause im in shambles”, how many do you think are both willing and able to actually get to Nevada -- or, indeed, do anything at all?
This is how humor works now. There's no actual attempt at a joke, just people piling up bad attempts at irony and snarky reaction memes until they can plausibly deny ever having meant anything.

If anyone does show up, expect all of them to be there to mock the fools they suppose might actually try it. There will be influencers. There will be YouTubers. There will be shocked face emojis. There will not, however, be an event. Just a dozen GoPros shakily filming each other in the desert.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:56:44 am by Trekkin »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #145923 on: July 08, 2019, 09:56:39 am »

People (as in the public) don't think, or accept, that though. During the Troubles in Ireland, army personnel were often afraid to shoot into even the most violent of crowds for fear of severe chastisement. Case in point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporals_killings

Corporal Derek Woods fired a round into the air rather than into the crowd of blood-thirsty civilians (the Provisional IRA no doubt formed part of the crowd, it must be added) which was coming for him. They dragged him and his fellow from their car, stripped them nearly naked, searched them, dragged them off and later brutally murdered them.

Nothing could be more dehumanised than the crowd going for him, and these were obviously violent individuals - those 'storming' Area 51 would obviously be deluded idiots. And nowhere near 53000 in number. I would posit that the army-men would be afraid to fire on them for fear of huge public backlash. As the article suggests, mob-control equipment would be more likely, especially considering these people are posting their plans openly all over the internet. It's hard not to be prepared when there's a public schedule.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:58:13 am by Th4DwArfY1 »
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145924 on: July 08, 2019, 10:20:06 am »

So, a friend of mine emailed this link to me..

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2019/07/53000-people-have-pledged-to-storm-area-51-this-fall/

I must say, this has got to be the dumbest, most reckless and generally bad idea I have seen in a long time.

I hope nobody gets killed. Honest.
I've seen a lot of ridiculous Facebook events where thousands of people "plan" to do something daft in some notable public location, usually inspired by recent events. It's a meme.

Admittedly I have never attended any of these events so I can't say for sure whether anyone actually does whatever it is, but I doubt it.
I think if thousands of Australians actually committed mass suicide outside Parliament when they threatened to raise the tax on cask wine it would have made the news, f'insrance. XD
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #145925 on: July 08, 2019, 10:23:18 am »

Don't they have like minefields and shit around A51? Y'know, to keep the lizard people from esacping easily?
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145926 on: July 08, 2019, 10:25:46 am »

We'll find out soon enough!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145927 on: July 08, 2019, 10:31:05 am »

This just in. 53 thousand people abducted by aliens. Vigorous anal probing reported.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145928 on: July 08, 2019, 10:34:18 am »

Don't they have like minefields and shit around A51? Y'know, to keep the lizard people from esacping easily?

Given that they have to be able to move to places on the edges, I seriously doubt they have minefields.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #145929 on: July 08, 2019, 10:51:00 am »

You know, considering its public knowledge that Area 51 is supposed to be the alien place, if it ever was they probably have already moved the aliens to someplace else since it became publicly known.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145930 on: July 08, 2019, 11:27:10 am »

Nah, they keep all the alien stuff there because anyone who reports on it will be dismissed as a regular Area 51 nutjob. It's the perfect cover!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #145931 on: July 08, 2019, 12:33:02 pm »

Re: Naruto ninja run
I was very disturbed when I saw myself* doing the Naruto running in Kenshi on high Stealth level.

*In-game self-insert/Main character
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #145932 on: July 08, 2019, 12:34:11 pm »

I don't know about the tail idea, but the general idea was that you keep your arms straight back and tight against your body while crouched over and run forward. The idea is to minimize noise and size and visible movement. The naruto version where they run like the wind with arms flailing wildly behind them is not accurate, funnily enough.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #145933 on: July 08, 2019, 12:58:18 pm »

I always took the Naruto run as a lazy/frugal way of animating a run sequence. Why bother doing all the extra work in making the arms move properly and shit when you can just swing them back and keep them there with minimal movement.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145934 on: July 08, 2019, 01:01:55 pm »

My small-ish town apparently has its own newspaper which, in turn, has its own website. The website is horrible and straight out of the early '00s.

I only know this because the child of one of my neighbors is selling her parents' house. It's not listed anywhere online. Except for that classifieds section, which I never would have thought to check. There are three whole items in said classifieds section - the aforementioned house, a 22-year-old truck, and a job posting for an entry level HVAC tech.

The house is either not going to sell or will be going for significantly lower than the surrounding area just because she doesn't want a realtor. She's leaving a good $50k on the table because she doesn't want to give a realtor $6k and doesn't know how to sell a house by herself.
Pages: 1 ... 9727 9728 [9729] 9730 9731 ... 10974