Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9734 9735 [9736] 9737 9738 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12996592 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #146025 on: July 13, 2019, 02:58:18 pm »

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146026 on: July 13, 2019, 04:29:36 pm »

@Greatorder

Jokes aside, why didn’t you just edit all of your posts and change them to the word “deleted”, like Vector did? The answer is probably super obvious, but I haven’t figured it out yet.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #146027 on: July 13, 2019, 04:30:48 pm »

@Greatorder

Jokes aside, why didn’t you just edit all of your posts and change them to the word “deleted”, like Vector did? The answer is probably super obvious, but I haven’t figured it out yet.
I dont think there is an easy way of doing that?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #146028 on: July 13, 2019, 04:41:41 pm »

And the answer was to give the forums Alzheimer's disease?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #146029 on: July 13, 2019, 05:09:36 pm »

So, in essence, I broke the forums.

Go me!

No, great order

Toady broke the forums
Love, scriver~

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #146030 on: July 13, 2019, 07:28:43 pm »

So, in essence, I broke the forums.

Go me!

No, great order

Toady broke the forums

Today made posts into ghosts. Phantoms in the code. Ghosts in the shell. Nothing is ever truly gone. Everything leaves a wound in the world, shaped like its absence.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #146031 on: July 14, 2019, 12:36:29 am »

When a post is nuked, the ID is still reserved for it and so links to it lead to the place where the post would have been if not for it being nuked. Usually visible in that thread I don't touch.
Hey, I also stay away from politics threads. Good riddance TBH...
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146032 on: July 14, 2019, 09:41:10 am »

Sounds like you are describing American wage slavery...

People shoved into intellectual boxes, because the media insists that thinking differently is aberrant, and corporate management being incapable of dealing with actual humans, and seeking only the functional equivalent of highly specialized robots that are perfect fits...

It's the kind of world where iPhone is the only kind of smartphone, (Android, in all its marvelous variety of incarnations, is for 'poor' people! Those other phone OSes? We don't talk about those!) Every member of society knows their caste and place in the social hierarchy, Learned Helplessness is the rule of the day, etc.

If life is different outside the US, I would gladly move!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146033 on: July 14, 2019, 10:05:06 am »

The entire world is a crazy place. Every country has glaring downsides. So probably not...
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146034 on: July 14, 2019, 10:43:54 am »

I did not mean to subvert your dialogue. Apologies.

However, the subconscious mind does not often care what the conscious mind would find preferable.  Dreams are not the product of conscious thought.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #146035 on: July 14, 2019, 10:39:51 pm »

It's the kind of world where iPhone is the only kind of smartphone

I laugh at Apple for making ludicrously overpriced smartphones. Where I live, the 512 GB variant of the iPhone XS Max costs the equivalent of $1750, while the 512 GB variant of the Samsung S10+ costs $1150. And I'm quoting the official websites; there are sellers out there offering the S10+ for $975.

How has everyone there not bankrupted themselves buying iPhones?!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146036 on: July 14, 2019, 10:41:24 pm »

looks at old flip phone and sighs

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146037 on: July 14, 2019, 10:58:55 pm »

If all you need to do is make a damn call, a flip phone is hard to beat.

No large screen to get broke when it gets dropped, It is significantly less likely to be running malware, it is significantly less likely to be blasting your location to dozens of "advertising partners", and the battery is significantly longer lasting in most instances.

You just cant use it to do internet stuff so easily. That's all.

Even then though, there are entry level smartphones you can appropriate easily and cheaply. Most are "prepaid specials" that are theoretically subsidized with the intention that you will pay the "Real price!(tm)" of the phone through their service, but you can often hack the shit out of them to make them unlocked, and then use them anywhere.  You can get android smartphones (of the bargain basement tier) for as cheap as 40$. (Tip: That prepaid phone on ATT? FreedomPop uses ATT's network, and the SIM should "just work" inside it. If you keep it on the down-low on use, you can use that 40$ phone with a 0$/mo price point.)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #146038 on: July 14, 2019, 11:31:35 pm »

The lowest tier of smartphones is a bad place to be. Far too many of them are only technically functional,and are pretty much useless in practice.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146039 on: July 14, 2019, 11:34:59 pm »

You just need to look at what is actually under the hood, and make a value assessment. Not everyone will come to the same value conclusions; This is why I merely pointed out what the lowest possible fruit is. Whether or not it will be fit for a specific user's purpose is up to the purchaser. (some people may be in dire need of a phone, but be so impoverished that justifying even the 40$ one-off purchase is difficult. Suggesting the 0$/mo freedompop option can open lots of doors that poor people otherwise would not contemplate, again because of the big messages by popular media dominating the channel of communication, and creating learned helplessness.)

Some of the bargain phones are not so bad, but always check user reviews. some have terrible touch tracking, for instance. Others have severely crippled amounts of RAM, or don't support adoptable storage (to overcome the limited internal storage).

I kinda take for granted that anyone looking for tech will do the right thing, and fully research a purchase before making it. Maybe that's a bad thing to take for granted though.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 11:37:50 pm by wierd »
Pages: 1 ... 9734 9735 [9736] 9737 9738 ... 10973