Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9737 9738 [9739] 9740 9741 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12996696 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #146070 on: July 16, 2019, 09:50:24 am »

Can't. That's an unforgivable act of nerdism.

We're all nerds here.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #146071 on: July 16, 2019, 12:20:47 pm »

I play adventure mode only and usually use it as a virtual punching bag for my anger issues. Does that count?
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146072 on: July 16, 2019, 12:31:41 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:27:51 am by dragdeler »
let

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146073 on: July 16, 2019, 01:02:29 pm »

But is it a good idea?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146074 on: July 16, 2019, 01:25:50 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:27:57 am by dragdeler »
let

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #146075 on: July 16, 2019, 01:34:01 pm »

NEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRDSSSSSSSSSSSSS

*ahem*

That is all, good day.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #146076 on: July 16, 2019, 02:57:06 pm »

*doesn't use YouTube or Twitch, plays only single player offline games by himself and also spends significant amounts of time  outside *

... is being not a nerd the new being a nerd?
You play Dwarf Fortress... How can you claim not to be a nerd?

Does he, though? There's a lot of people here just for lower boards and Forum Games/Roleplaying. S'like saying the janitor at a fitness center is just another swolemate.

I haven't in... Several months. And usually it's just Arena or Adventure mode. I've started a couple forts but can't get into them because I don't minecarts or new stuff well.

Same with Urist McStation. Too much new stuff.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146077 on: July 17, 2019, 01:04:42 am »

Bloody hell, I just slept in way too late and had this insanely detailed dream. I don't remember all that much of it but there was a lot going on, all sorts of crazy plotlines and themes.
On the one hand I'm annoyed about sleeping in, but... I dunno wtf just went on in my brain but it sure was exciting.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146078 on: July 17, 2019, 04:59:24 am »

So, a WTF for me is people thinking that killing off dwarves or whatever in DF or going on a world-cleansing rampage in that same game is actually unethical. It's literally just a game. Single-player games are exempt from ethics or morality unless you are roleplaying or something.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146079 on: July 17, 2019, 05:11:36 am »

Anyone remember way back in the day with Creatures, they tried to stir up some controversy due to the code for norns purportedly being set up so they could "understand" pain and suffering, and therefore whether it was defensible to let people just mess around with them as they wished?

So, naturally, people had to get together and devise the most effective methods of torturing norns and terrorizing them with as much trauma as possible.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146080 on: July 17, 2019, 05:29:43 am »

In almost all cases, those mechanics in games are just a number, rather than complex interactions of hormones as in real, living beings. Saying that those entities can feel pain is like writing "Pain: 0" into a text editor and then adding a 1 to it so it's "Pain: 10". Only a fool would think that the text editor actually feels pain from you doing so.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146081 on: July 17, 2019, 05:44:36 am »

https://www.vox.com/2014/4/23/5643418/this-guy-thinks-killing-video-game-characters-is-immoral

Brian Tomasik ... has become interested in the question of what moral standing, if any, we should give to non-player characters in video games (NPCs). He argues that, while NPCs do not have anywhere near the mental complexity of animals, the difference is one of degree rather than kind, and we should care at least a tiny amount about their suffering, especially as they grow more complex. We spoke on Gchat this past Tuesday. An edited and condensed transcript follows.

This guy doesn't understand how computer games work. Until we actually start implanting simulated brains in the NPCs, it is a difference of kind, not degree. A marionette is not a living creature. Asking whether current NPCs are at all sentient is basically asking whether basic algebra is sentient, so is it ethical to do maths puzzles?

Really, this thinking is just riddled with dumb cognitive biases. People are worried that game NPCs will become sentient solely because they are human-shaped. But ... how many of them are concerned that say, the game itself, or the entire game console spontaneously evolves consciousness? After all, that's far more plausible than game NPCs doing so, because game NPCs are far simpler.

it's just the old tendency to attribute human-like qualities to things which resemble humans.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 06:00:05 am by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146082 on: July 17, 2019, 05:48:24 am »

In almost all cases, those mechanics in games are just a number, rather than complex interactions of hormones as in real, living beings. Saying that those entities can feel pain is like writing "Pain: 0" into a text editor and then adding a 1 to it so it's "Pain: 10". Only a fool would think that the text editor actually feels pain from you doing so.
That said, the things did have something like 200 digital hormones they were programmed with and that could be messed with either environmentally or directly through the use of a chemical injector. And the production of which could be altered through genetic mutations.

The question was, at the time, at what point does a simulation resemble reality enough to be treated like it?

This was back in the 90's though, so their perception of reality was pretty messed up to begin with.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146083 on: July 17, 2019, 06:03:54 am »

We can worry about that later. People get confused because games are effectively very elaborate cardboard cut-outs of things. Let's start worrying when the humans have insides and stop being just an empty shell. A wooden beam in a game isn't like a wooden beam in the real world, it's an elongated empty box with nice paintwork. But the humans are no more complex, they're just more elaborately shaped empty boxes. A game human has the same sentience as an empty crate in the game.

a human cell has about 10^14 atoms. those atoms consist of protons, neutrons and electrons. The most complex game we have has significantly less data in it than a single cell.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 06:12:40 am by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #146084 on: July 17, 2019, 06:14:23 am »

Right now the only argument I will affect as valid is "killing npcs is immoral because it simulates killing real people".
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 9737 9738 [9739] 9740 9741 ... 10973