Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9770 9771 [9772]

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 5801604 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • Not having personal text in currentyear
    • View Profile
    • Realtalk for a second
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #146565 on: Today at 06:43:40 am »

-snip-
Oh yeah, definitely fair about regional variation, but IMO it's more that actively promoting would be more likely to catch that one patron that would make it An Issue. Since people like that are usually the sort that walk in, grab their reserves for the new Danielle Steel/Fern Michaels/James Patterson/&c. bestseller, self-check, and leave immediately, they don't tend to notice what's out there beyond the new books display.

I also wouldn't promote AO3 for a multitude of other reasons, but that's a whole different story from not promoting it because of the bad PR. Almost nobody where I live cares about SF/F beyond the gutter trash like Ready Player One anyways. Did manage to get someone into the Pern novels (and warned her away from the son's... "contributions"), but that's about it.
« Last Edit: Today at 06:46:33 am by Flying Dice »

Cake
Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #146566 on: Today at 08:09:59 am »

We don't have self-check at any of the branches I'm working with :P

SF/F stuff definitely isn't among our major circulation genres, though, no. They move okay-ish for our libraries and we have a handful of patrons that request it, but it's way behind the (other) bestsellers et al, or just mystery/suspense, westerns, or christian fiction in general. though inflicting mccaffrey on someone is just mean, ahaha* also nevermind the son's contributions, probably don't direct them towards anything that isn't pern, too. Anne's just a bit behind Piers Anthony in how off some of their works get.

*Though if it works, it works.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146567 on: Today at 05:03:30 pm »

A problem which has been occurring for a very long time, one I've complained about dozens of times, and one that could very easily be solved by people taking less than half a second to actually pay attention to what they're doing, is apparently entirely my responsibility to correct. According to my boss, it's "unfair" to the people responsible* to have them double-check their work and correct any mistakes themselves because their workload, which is one-half to one-third less than my own, is too much for them.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146568 on: Today at 05:05:38 pm »

A problem which has been occurring for a very long time, one I've complained about dozens of times, and one that could very easily be solved by people taking less than half a second to actually pay attention to what they're doing, is apparently entirely my responsibility to correct. According to my boss, it's "unfair" to the people responsible* to have them double-check their work and correct any mistakes themselves because their workload, which is one-half to one-third less than my own, is too much for them.
Donít tell your boss, but your boss sounds stupid
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment
Quote from: Naturegirl1999 IRL
*picks up pepper* ďLook, a pickleĒ *puts down pepper* ďwait, pickles and peppers are completely different instrumentsĒ
Moral of the story: Everyone has dumb moments, laugh at them

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146569 on: Today at 05:29:26 pm »

Find a new job, then tell your boss. Pro gamer move.

Th4DwArfY1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #146570 on: Today at 05:42:37 pm »

There's apparently going to be a new Matrix....
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  Th4DwArfY1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146571 on: Today at 05:43:42 pm »

Meh, we've been in the matrix our whole lives.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Just Skin And Bones
    • View Profile
« Reply #146572 on: Today at 05:50:34 pm »

reboot or sequel?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
I track my running!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody cared who I was until I found Sub-Wikis
    • View Profile
« Reply #146573 on: Today at 05:51:11 pm »

Plot twist! Turns out John Wick was just another instance of the Matrix
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • Itís shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #146574 on: Today at 05:56:52 pm »

Find a new job, then tell your boss. Pro gamer move.

Find a new job, forget to tell your boss. It's about what they deserve.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
  • U want sum seed?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146575 on: Today at 06:41:20 pm »

I know, but however cold the water is, my body still heats it up when Iím done, and the room I want to sleep in is still stupidly warm for no goddamn reason :p

Itís a silly visceral thing. I donít like putting any kind of lotion on either, because it is a loathsome sensation.

... Maybe sleep in the shower?
bloop_bleep's Moving Fortress Parts Mod!

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • Itís shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #146576 on: Today at 06:45:16 pm »

I know, but however cold the water is, my body still heats it up when Iím done, and the room I want to sleep in is still stupidly warm for no goddamn reason :p

Itís a silly visceral thing. I donít like putting any kind of lotion on either, because it is a loathsome sensation.

... Maybe sleep in the shower?

The tub is too small to lie comfortably.

I slept on the living room floor with the AC on. I had a weird dream in which I accidentally drove my car off a bridge (like the bridge in GTA 1!) into a river because the brakes weren't working very well  and was hauling it out on my shoulder when I saw Paul Merton dressed as a priest walking a greyhound. I rounded the river in the same direction as Mr. Merton was walking when he muttered to himself that I wasn't allowed to do that because he was the master, and the car suddenly became much heavier, but then I ignored him, and woke up when my alarm went off.
« Last Edit: Today at 06:47:54 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • Not having personal text in currentyear
    • View Profile
    • Realtalk for a second
« Reply #146577 on: Today at 07:26:09 pm »

We don't have self-check at any of the branches I'm working with :P

SF/F stuff definitely isn't among our major circulation genres, though, no. They move okay-ish for our libraries and we have a handful of patrons that request it, but it's way behind the (other) bestsellers et al, or just mystery/suspense, westerns, or christian fiction in general. though inflicting mccaffrey on someone is just mean, ahaha* also nevermind the son's contributions, probably don't direct them towards anything that isn't pern, too. Anne's just a bit behind Piers Anthony in how off some of their works get.

*Though if it works, it works.

Oi, oi, the Pern stuff is nice enough even if she has a bunch of weird fetishes crammed into everything else she wrote. It's not as if The Ship Who Sang, Crystal Singer, or gods forbid the Catteni series are even in print any more (probably). I read enough about giant grey alien dicks to satisfy any interest I might have ever had in her larger body of work even if the whole rabid anti-fanfiction attitude didn't already put me off her.

Though I'd give her a head over Anthony if only because to my recollection she always wrote the weirdness about consenting adults.

Cake
Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #146578 on: Today at 08:55:06 pm »

She absolutely did not. Iirc pern had the dragon mating thing screw with an underage character at some point (dub/non-con, statutory), and her other works involved rape at least once -- one I can't remember the name of* that involved an interspecies relationship, had a book in which the lady involved gets drugged, fucked, and knocked up in the process. The general (non)reaction of everyone aware of it happening (the victim included) is wtf worthy (and I think I actually posted in the wtf thread about it at some point :V), heh. McCaffrey's definitely not as bad as Anthony, but they're approaching the same ballpark.

... though yeah, some of the pern stuff was alright. Some was eye-gougingly boring, though, on top of the sketchy shit the whole dragon connection thing brought to the table.

* Actually, now that I check it's that cat-thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 9770 9771 [9772]