Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9738 9739 [9740] 9741 9742 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12999106 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #146085 on: July 17, 2019, 06:16:03 am »

And I once savescummed because I got injured while cleansing a town in DF.
Code: [Select]
dfhack die
Note that the reason I do this is so I can let out anger on those simulated "people". So hyped for the villains update so I can do less murderous things while still being evil.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 06:20:41 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146086 on: July 17, 2019, 06:21:20 am »

The guy in the article I linked believes that e.g. a complex boss such as Bowser might be some % as sentient as a human (because Bowser exhibits goal-driven behavior), and that % is very, very small, so killing one Bowser is insignificant, but if enough players kill Bowser over and over then it's adds up in a cumulative fashion to a Bowser Holocaust which is morally significant.

That moral math begs the question of how many Bowser-lives are worth one human lives, or how many real humans you'd kill to save how many Bowsers in Super Mario.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 06:31:31 am by Reelya »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #146087 on: July 17, 2019, 06:26:07 am »

Right now the only argument I will affect as valid is "killing npcs is immoral because it simulates killing real people".
I've killed cave crocodiles in DF by teleporting them 15 z-levels off the ground (using gui/teleport). How am I supposed to pull off telekinetic crocodile-killing?

@MaxTheFox, you can use DFhack full-heal while in your character's status screen to fully heal your character.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146088 on: July 17, 2019, 06:27:37 am »

@MaxTheFox, you can use DFhack full-heal while in your character's status screen to fully heal your character.
Not if you are instakilled. Happens occasionally even through adamantine armor.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146089 on: July 17, 2019, 06:38:34 am »

-
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:27:47 am by dragdeler »
let

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #146090 on: July 17, 2019, 06:40:27 am »

Not if you are instakilled. Happens occasionally even through adamantine armor.
IIRC, DFhack full heal -r revives you. That, or you could try ghostly, full-heal, and ghostly, in that order. That one has a rather unsettling outcome, though: the revived-you can see and interact with your own corpse.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 06:42:09 am by methylatedspirit »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146091 on: July 17, 2019, 09:55:46 am »

That moral math begs the question of how many Bowser-lives are worth one human lives, or how many real humans you'd kill to save how many Bowsers in Super Mario.
Kill the animals, save the frames.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146092 on: July 17, 2019, 08:15:42 pm »

I only ever do fortress, and only ever single player.

I haven't touched adventure mode in so long... let's be honest usually because I like to leave myself a full set of adamantine plate if I ever want to make an adventurer

Also the Woolworths (grocery store) in my city had no red capsicum for like six months and suddenly there's red capsicum everywhere. I'm wondering if they missed a season or something but it was weird as hell and nobody seems to have mentioned anything about it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 11:49:02 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146093 on: July 18, 2019, 12:18:41 am »

Had one of those "connect with someone you knew in school whom you haven't seen or heard from in many years and rediscover a meaningful relationship that never existed in real life" dreams. Always a corker, innit? It was a pleasant, well-crafted dream, sure, I just kinda wish the subject matter was a little less ridiculous and didn't get me pointlessly wondering what might have been. ::)   

Also I was holding a big bag of delicious takeaway food when the dream ended, and when I woke up I was holding no food. Gypped.   

Also the Woolworths (grocery store) in my city had no red capsicum for like six months and suddenly there's red capsicum everywhere. I'm wondering if they missed a season or something but it was weird as hell and nobody seems to have mentioned anything about it.
Red capsicum, best capsicum. You should sue the bastards for depriving you!
Or maybe like, start buying your fruit 'n' veg somewhere else...   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146094 on: July 18, 2019, 02:45:24 am »

Turns out it was due to a heat wave, so the only 'somewhere else' I could have gotten my capsicum from would've been imports.
Although I have been pretty slack in buying from the grocer across from the woolies ever since I gave them a cursory google and found out it's a huge chain.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #146095 on: July 18, 2019, 11:45:11 am »

What's the deal with flesh eating bacteria.
Been seeing a lot of news pieces on this, well, more than usual
Yikes!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146096 on: July 18, 2019, 11:51:05 am »

Something sort of like that happened in my region of the US not too long ago. One week it's normal. The next, every single thing has hatch chilie in it. My best guess at the time was that some farmers were trying to drum up a new fad food or something.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146097 on: July 18, 2019, 01:55:39 pm »

Something sort of like that happened in my region of the US not too long ago. One week it's normal. The next, every single thing has hatch chilie in it. My best guess at the time was that some farmers were trying to drum up a new fad food or something.

Exactly. Hatch, NM hired some marketing people.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #146098 on: July 18, 2019, 04:02:47 pm »

propane dispenser re-certification time! Videos are 4 hours long. Four fucking hours of videos. Most of it doesnt even cover relevant information for the quiz they gave us. I'm convinced these are still the wrong video set, but we've already contacted them about that and they just told us to continue. I have an entire 2-hour section covering inspecting pumping equipment, filling (our) stationary tank from (their) truck, and covering diagnosing and fixing the pump, none of which is on the quiz nor will we be performing any of these tasks. Yet according to how its supposed to be taken, in order, these videos should cover section 4 in the quiz. I cannot answer any of these questions from the information in the videos.

Best yet, I'm the only employee here who has ever been certified before, so what cant be answered in the videos I'm going to be helping the other guys fill in.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 04:06:13 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146099 on: July 19, 2019, 12:45:31 am »

It sometimes seems like I am the only college student who isn't a liberal (in the traditional sense).
Pages: 1 ... 9738 9739 [9740] 9741 9742 ... 10974