Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9813 9814 [9815]

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 5884263 times)

Naxza

• Bay Watcher
  • Wanderer of Broken Worlds
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #147210 on: Today at 03:18:49 pm »

I was just assigned homework.

A ten minute presentation.

For a job interview, a session to last 3-5 hours (with other interviewees), for a tier 1 job, that the recruiter has me pegged for at less than I was making at my old job, wherein the manager of the department, who lives in Europe, is flying out to attend and lead.

Presentation to be submitted the day prior to the interview.

Am I right to be finding this to be really frigging weird? Is this the future of the jobseek?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you 0cra_tr0per for the link
    • View Profile
« Reply #147211 on: Today at 03:28:22 pm »

Yes it is weird. However it could very well be the future of jobseek. I worked at Casey’s before and wanted to transfer. Manager 1 told me to get Manager 2 to call her. I talked with Manager 2 and he told me to fill out transfer application online, which I did when I got home. I never heard back. There are many Help Wanted signs at Casey’s 2. I worked at Casey’s 1 for ~6 months in the kitchen. I have a visual impairment, despite it, I was still able to do the tasks. I don’t think Manager 2 wanted to have a person with one working eye working there, even though I am able to do what I need to do. I received training and can do what is needed. I can learn training for other positions too, if Manager 2 would give me a chance. It’s a shame one can’t apply in person anymore or maybe a mini interview or something. Manager 2 didn’t ask much about what I did in my previous job.
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment
Quote from: Naturegirl1999 IRL
*picks up pepper* “Look, a pickle” *puts down pepper* “wait, pickles and peppers are completely different instruments”
Moral of the story: Everyone has dumb moments, laugh at them

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147212 on: Today at 03:35:48 pm »

While this is an older reference than I've seen before, the more common variation dates back at least as far as the German work Reinhart Fuchs in the 1100s, with no apparent connection to the Arabic variation. As scriver states, the traditional blood brotherhood and similar rites were "make us family where we were not before", indicating that family ties were never ranked below other ties as the modern "water of the womb" quote implies.

I'm aware of the Reinhart Fuchs quote, but I have trouble crediting that as the origin when it's not saying or meaning the same thing. The translation of the quote is "I also hear it said, kin-blood is not spoiled by water," where the water in question is literal seawater. There's no comparison of either viscosity or the relative strength of friendships and blood relationships implied, so if that's the origin, we've got to somehow get from "we still care about family even when we're oceans apart" to "family matter more than friends" while also changing the literal text of the proverb.

The Arabic origin, on the other hand, is referring to Raḍāʿ as opposed to blood covenants and explicitly contrasting the two -- which makes sense. Raḍāʿ is the term for an idea predating Islam that breastfeeding produces a form of consanguinity, and under Islamic jurisprudence it prevents marriages in the same way. It also had some of the same political implications we might recognize from arranged marriage, and in much the same way, the relationship is established before the participants have any say in it. "Blood is thicker than milk," then, would seem to be saying that people care more about the people with whom they choose to associate than those with whom they are bound under this sort of arranged consanguinity -- and that makes sense as a description of human behavior if not as a prescriptive ranking of the importance of different relationships. I'd probably care more about my friends than my arranged milk siblings too, if I had any. Moreover, it's closer to the modern saying both literally and in meaning.

EDIT: I also can't find any reference to the "friends vs family" meaning earlier than the 1600s, and the "Qamus" my souce upthread refers to as the source of the Arabic version is probably the Al-Qāmūs al-Muḥīṭ, an Arabic dictionary compiled from even older works by al-Fayrūzābādī (1329–1414.)
« Last Edit: Today at 03:42:59 pm by Trekkin »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147213 on: Today at 03:38:41 pm »

I was just assigned homework.

A ten minute presentation.

For a job interview, a session to last 3-5 hours (with other interviewees), for a tier 1 job, that the recruiter has me pegged for at less than I was making at my old job, wherein the manager of the department, who lives in Europe, is flying out to attend and lead.

Presentation to be submitted the day prior to the interview.

Am I right to be finding this to be really frigging weird? Is this the future of the jobseek?

Well, better luck on the next job. See if you can get them to wait for you by claiming "you're just a bit late." They're wasting your time, so no reason not to return the favor, and hopefully they'll waste a few hours before realizing you aren't coming.
To improve communication, all sarcasm and other jokes will be posted in a black font.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147214 on: Today at 03:55:09 pm »

That is very odd, Nazca, but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. Unless, of course, they were being super dickish.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
Pages: 1 ... 9813 9814 [9815]