Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9782 9783 [9784] 9785 9786 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12998665 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #146745 on: August 24, 2019, 07:24:53 am »

It's not just the shell man! It's WHAT'S IN IT!

Top: Some kind of ground up mystery meat simmered in gawd only knows what, with a texture somewhere between old oatmeal and southern grits.

Bottom: It's Carne' Asada seasoned steak slices yo! (although that might be el pastor, hard to tell with so small.) With cilantro, onions, and lime slices.

Those things aren't even close to the same thing!

Burrito you say?

Do you mean Burrito (authentic)

Or

"Burrito" (taco bell)

Because I assure you, they are NOT the same thing. Again, the first one is made of real steak slices, and has the correct filling ingredients.  The latter is some kind of preprocessed horror filled with hamburger meat and gawd only knows what.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 07:34:24 am by wierd »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #146746 on: August 24, 2019, 07:26:23 am »

Just 'cause you don't like hard shell tacos doesn't mean they ain't real tacos.

Mind you, I much prefer a good ol' burrito anyhow.
They aren't. Real hard-shell tacos are fried *after* filling (and sealed), and are then softened with another liquidish food on a plate. The only authentic dish with pre-fried shells I know of are tostadas, which are flat.

Not to mention that the hard taco shells are absolute ass for filling with anything even remotely authentic. They're used in Taco Bell &c. because they're fast, cheap, and easy, especially when combined with cheap shredded cheese and ground beef.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146747 on: August 24, 2019, 09:29:05 am »

That's the thing. It's just just people not taking a personal liking to Taco Bell. The stuff is just hands-down too disgusting for most of the world to consume. Many of the overseas locations are in in fact located at military bases, i.e. they're kept in business by the government.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taco_Bell#Outside_the_United_States
In 2003 Taco Bell entered the Chinese market by opening a restaurant in Shanghai's People's Square named "Taco Bell Grande". Three more TBG restaurants opened before they were closed in 2008.
The Chinese won't eat it, and they'll eat fried bugs on a stick. But, they're trying again in China with another store, probably in a location nowhere near the first failed store :P

After the Birmingham University branch closed, there were only two Taco Bell branches in the UK, at the Strategic Air Command and United States Air Force bases at RAF Mildenhall and RAF Lakenheath. Access is restricted to relevant service personnel.
so, even in the UK where they'll eat literally anything, the only surviving Taco Bell locations are restricted to air force military personnel, i.e. they're US government contracts.

Taco Bell once operated shops at Tokyo and Nagoya in the 1980s but withdrew several years later Since then, there were shops only at United States Forces Japan bases.

Haha, again, only survives due to military contracts. They recently launched a new store in Japan, but in a different town, and so much later that nobody remembers what it tastes like.

There are currently two locations in Seoul, in the Itaewon and Hongdae districts, which attract the most foreigners and college students. The two branches opened in the summer of 2010, Itaewon's branch coming first. A Taco Bell had long been a presence at the U.S. Army's Yongsan Garrison, which is off-limits to non-military personnel,

Given the pattern, it's only a matter of time before Taco Bell in Korea is back down to the one at the US army base :P

Taco Bell in Singapore existed for a number of years, mostly as combination stores with KFC such as the one that operated at the Funan Digital Life Mall, but in 2008, Taco Bell completely pulled out of Singapore.
There's no US army base in Signapore so I guess Taco Bell is out of luck there, can't sustain any stores.

In the late 2000s, Yum! Brands announced that it was reopening Taco Bell locations in the United Kingdom as part of a large planned expansion into Europe. Yum! is taking advantage of the recent recession which led to increasing sales at other fast food outlets;
Oh goody. People are impoverished, maybe they'll like our food now, enough to sustain an open store.

In the early 1990s, PepsiCo opened several Taco Bell locations inside the Moscow metro system, including Metro Park Kulturi and Metro Komsomolskaya. This experiment lasted only a few years
No shit, Russians didn't like it either.

Greece's first Taco Bell opened in Athens upon the grand opening of the newly constructed Athens Metro Mall on November 30, 2010. The restaurant closed in August 2012 and the chain withdrew from the Greek market

The first Polish Taco Bell store was opened in 1993. Following an aggressive campaign of expansion, Taco Bell's efforts soon withered, and the chain withdrew from Poland shortly thereafter.

A Taco Bell opened in the United Arab Emirates in November 2008 in Dubai at the Dubai Mall.[133] A fourth UAE location was also planned for Bawadi Mall in the city of Al Ain. As of February 2012, the locations at Dubai Mall, Deira City Centre, and Mirdif City Centre have all closed and Taco Bell has completely pulled out of the Emirati market.

Taco Bell later opened in 1997 in Australia with a store in the cinema district on George Street, Sydney and a year later in 1998 within a few KFC stores in the state of New South Wales, but by 2005, the Taco Bell brand was pulled out of the country.

They've tried to expand into Mexico twice now and failed both times, but that's expected.

Sure, I've omitted a number of recent attempts to expand into many different markets, and omitted a handful of places where the stores haven't closed down, but this level of worldwide failure is in fact specific to Taco Bell. No other chain has a history like this.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 09:30:58 am by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146748 on: August 24, 2019, 09:48:18 am »

Just 'cause you don't like hard shell tacos doesn't mean they ain't real tacos.

Mind you, I much prefer a good ol' burrito anyhow.
They aren't. Real hard-shell tacos are fried *after* filling (and sealed), and are then softened with another liquidish food on a plate. The only authentic dish with pre-fried shells I know of are tostadas, which are flat.
Well, that sounds absolutely disgusting. I can see why y'all finna build that wall!

More seriously, saying a version of [dish/cuisine] isn't "real" because you dislike the fillings is insane. Sure, you could say it is a low quality version of cuisine, but that doesn't magically make it something else entirely.
That's like someone deciding that my peanut butter and Vegemite sangas don't classify as sandwiches due to the unorthodox choice of ingredients!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #146749 on: August 24, 2019, 10:06:48 am »

That's like someone deciding that my peanut butter and Vegemite sangas don't classify as sandwiches due to the unorthodox choice of ingredients!
No, it's like saying that peanut butter and Vegemite nailed to a piece of wood doesn't classify as a sandwich due to the unorthodox choice of ingredients.

Or, perhaps more accurately, saying that a bowl of rice and meatloaf doesn't count as spaghetti bolognese.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146750 on: August 24, 2019, 10:16:22 am »

more accurate would be saying "Peanut butter and vegemite" is not "Peanut butter and jelly." 

Posibly more accurate:

"Peanut butter and jello" != "peanut butter and jelly" (Despite most english speaking countries confusing congealed animal proteins and water with fruit juice mixed with pectin, by calling it "Jelly.")

Thus, for the same reason that this:

Is NOT equal to this

(Despite both being called 'Jelly')

"Taco" is not equal to Taco.

I am pretty sure that if you tried to give a peanutbutter and jello sandwich to them, after they asked for peanut butter and jelly, they would tell you to go get fucked.

Likewise, if a US citizen served you a quivering glob of "Jam" in a dish, if you asked for Jelly, you would tell them to go get fucked.

The same thing happens when hispanic people ask for a taco, and get whatever the fuck that thing from Taco Bell actually is. (They call them "white people tacos"-- I call it "Fake tacos")

I live close enough to the border that I get the joy of having the real deal as an option.  I can go to a *REAL* cantina, and get REAL tacos. (And before you knock the fried tacos, you should totally try them first.  You wont want that taco bell crap ever again.)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 10:29:55 am by wierd »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146751 on: August 24, 2019, 10:39:45 am »

I’m learning so much about tacos, jello and jelly from this thread. I had no idea the tacos in America are different from other tacos, or that jelly is a valid term for jello. Things like this is why I joined this thread. I like when arguments turn into education

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146752 on: August 24, 2019, 10:51:42 am »

The US is the strange one, vis-a-vis "Jelly"

Pretty much every other english speaking country calls what we call "Jelly", "Jam."

Here in the US, "Jam" has a special meaning; It's got bits of fruit in it, where Jelly does not. In the UK (and most english speaking countries), both are "Jam".   
In the US, we take it even further, and have an ADDITIONAL name for the stuff, if it also has the seeds in it. "Preserves".  Again, In the UK and co, "Jam".

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146753 on: August 24, 2019, 10:55:23 am »

Huh, didn’t know jam with seeds is called preserves. Apparently the US likes making new names for stuff

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #146754 on: August 24, 2019, 11:02:49 am »

It is an artifact of US truth-in-advertising laws - basically the same thing as the "you can't call Pringles "potato chips" because they are fried mashed potato instead of fried sliced potato. " rule.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #146755 on: August 24, 2019, 11:04:21 am »

Anyone: Hey, let's put citizens through a series of deadly traps. Many will die, but some will come out stronger and non-impaired!
Bay12: Heh, sure. Sounds fun.

Anyone: Hey, let's go to this cute Mexican place I know, it sells tacos.
Bay12: *TRIGGERED*
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146756 on: August 24, 2019, 11:05:22 am »

well, I should recant a little.  Not exactly "has seeds", more "Its got noticeable fruit hunks in it", because it isn't filtered at all during preparation.

Jam tends to have bits of skin, and well blended fruit pulp

Jelly is hyper-filtered fruit juice.

Preserves (notice, big chunks of peach in there)

Jam (notice, it has fruit, but is more blended)

Jelly (Clear, and transparent. Congealed fruit juice)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #146757 on: August 24, 2019, 11:06:14 am »

The US is the strange one, vis-a-vis "Jelly"

Pretty much every other english speaking country calls what we call "Jelly", "Jam."

Here in the US, "Jam" has a special meaning; It's got bits of fruit in it, where Jelly does not. In the UK (and most english speaking countries), both are "Jam".   
In the US, we take it even further, and have an ADDITIONAL name for the stuff, if it also has the seeds in it. "Preserves".  Again, In the UK and co, "Jam".

I've seen jams called preserves over here in the UK. But in general, you're right.

Also jelly is a dessert.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #146758 on: August 24, 2019, 11:07:33 am »

The jam/jelly/preserve distinction is not exclusive to the US, nor does it originate there. It's just more common there.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146759 on: August 24, 2019, 11:08:55 am »

They aren't. Real hard-shell tacos are fried *after* filling (and sealed), and are then softened with another liquidish food on a plate.

Do you know where I can find a recipe for that. Putting “How to make authentic Mexican tacos” into google isn’t giving me good results.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 9782 9783 [9784] 9785 9786 ... 10974