Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9791 9792 [9793] 9794 9795 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12996669 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #146880 on: August 30, 2019, 01:32:32 pm »

Well Finland took military aid from Germany because they were being invaded by the Soviets...
Well Norway had that whole Quisling regime because they were occupied by Germany...
Well Austria had that whole Anschluss thing...
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146881 on: August 30, 2019, 01:33:12 pm »

What did the Finns do to deserve such condemnation?

That one dude dropped entirely too much meth just enough meth to get himself out alive, I guess.

This shitpost brought to you by my increasing disdain of the duties foisted upon me and the increasing level of procrastination that has fostered.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 01:36:34 pm by Mephisto »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146882 on: August 30, 2019, 02:51:40 pm »

What did the Finns do to deserve such condemnation?

That one dude dropped entirely too much meth just enough meth to get himself out alive, I guess.

This shitpost brought to you by my increasing disdain of the duties foisted upon me and the increasing level of procrastination that has fostered.
Interesting. One of my brother’s trivia crack questions was what Hitler was prescribed by his physician. He was prescribed meth.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #146883 on: August 30, 2019, 04:11:03 pm »

I don't have a source for this, but I've heard that the Germans realized meth's long-term effects and started handing it out to their allies instead of using it themselves, which is why Finland had it in the first place to give to soldiers. Kind of a dick move.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #146884 on: August 30, 2019, 05:38:00 pm »

What is it with nazis and dick moves? You'd think they were cartoonishly evil or something.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #146885 on: August 30, 2019, 06:34:02 pm »

I don't have a source for this, but I've heard that the Germans realized meth's long-term effects and started handing it out to their allies instead of using it themselves, which is why Finland had it in the first place to give to soldiers. Kind of a dick move.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Nazi_Germany
AFAIK the nazis kept mass use of drugs all through the war. Heck, the whole high command right up to Hitler was on some combination of uppers and downers to the very bitter end.
I think nazi Germany makes more sense when viewed through that angle, in fact. Not so much cartoonishly evil as a consequence of the decisions of people who were unpleasant in the first place and had been on high doses of meth and cocaine for years
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146886 on: August 30, 2019, 07:06:13 pm »

Even those people were human, somewhere. They probably took it cope with what they'd done, even unconsciously.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #146887 on: August 30, 2019, 10:09:31 pm »

Amphetamines in general were in common use well into the 1950s. During the war, every combatant had "pep pills" available to keep the troops fighting. Germany just stands out because they were so heavily outmatched that they needed every soldier and pilot more, so they relied on pills instead of leave far more than the Allies did.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146888 on: August 31, 2019, 12:18:13 am »

This is a WTF on the depressing side of things.

I've looked up unit 731. They were a Japanese unit that did things like vivisect people alive after infecting them with disease, removed organs, removed and sometimes replaced limbs to test blood loss, tested numerous biological weapons on civilian populations, blew people up with grenades to test their effects at various distances, starved and dehydrated people to see how long they survived, tested the effects of extreme low and high pressure (apparently sometimes dropping the pressure to the point peoples eyes popped out), and did a metric shitload of other stuff. Very rarely was any of this done with any form of anaesthetic.

And they got away with it. They were granted amnesty so long as they turned over their research.

That's not only terrible, it isn't a surprise. Everyone got up to that kinds of stuff.

However, on the actual Wikipedia article it states that any of the researchers that got caught by the Soviets were actually tried in a war crimes tribunal in 1949. This is from the article:

Until Sanders finally threatened the Japanese with bringing the Soviets into the picture, little information about biological warfare was being shared with the Americans. The Japanese wanted to avoid prosecution under the Soviet legal system, so the next morning after he made his threat, Sanders received a manuscript describing Japan's involvement in biological warfare.

So, the Russians were trying them as war criminals, and to get them to spill the beans, the Americans basically said "we won't try any of you as war criminals, but if any of you don't squeal, we'll hand you over to the Russians who'll totally do that". And:

The Japanese doctors and army commanders who had perpetrated the Unit 731 experiments received sentences from the Khabarovsk court ranging from two to 25 years in a Siberian labor camp. The U.S. refused to acknowledge the trials, branding them communist propaganda.

However, there is evidence that they did give data to the Russians for leniency, but it was probably to avoid the death penalty.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 12:29:30 am by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146889 on: August 31, 2019, 06:59:43 am »

Hah, double post, but just now I found out about the Amstrad Mega PC

It is a 80386 based PC with a Sega Megadrive / Genesis crammed into it:

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 07:02:40 am by Reelya »

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #146890 on: August 31, 2019, 07:26:38 am »

So somebody outside of Bay12 (it was on Discord) was guilt-tripping... okay, trying and pathetically failing to guilt-trip me for killing things for fun in Dwarf Fortress. Those people should pry their Backspace keys off their keyboards if they react like that to letters getting "killed".
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146891 on: August 31, 2019, 07:29:08 am »

Did they watch Reboot as kids?

It would explain a lot if they did.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146892 on: August 31, 2019, 08:15:56 am »

So somebody outside of Bay12 (it was on Discord) was guilt-tripping... okay, trying and pathetically failing to guilt-trip me for killing things for fun in Dwarf Fortress. Those people should pry their Backspace keys off their keyboards if they react like that to letters getting "killed".
I see this a lot, there is something about DF that dazzles retards people into believing the dwarfs are actually intelligent and learning. In reality, even a single celled organism is much more complex, 'intelligent' and alive than a dwarf. It has even happened on here for some reason.

I say they're all elfs and should be doused in magma.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #146893 on: August 31, 2019, 08:21:13 am »

PETDD
People for the Ethical Treatment of Digital Dorfs
A dollar donated is a Dorf spared saved
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #146894 on: August 31, 2019, 08:57:44 am »

I mean, to be fair, a lot of the elf hatred and mermaid farming and childcare does get out of hand sometimes.
Pages: 1 ... 9791 9792 [9793] 9794 9795 ... 10973