Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9813 9814 [9815] 9816 9817 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13001450 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #147210 on: September 13, 2019, 04:22:18 pm »

Yeah, I can remember people's faces pretty much forever, but someone can tell me their name, I can acknowledge their name, say it out loud, and forget it in a minute.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147211 on: September 13, 2019, 04:41:01 pm »

Yeah, I can remember people's faces pretty much forever, but someone can tell me their name, I can acknowledge their name, say it out loud, and forget it in a minute.
same here
When I was in high school, I would know when I saw people and remember what i know about them except for their names. This happened with friends too

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #147212 on: September 13, 2019, 05:04:57 pm »

I have, in high school, dated girls who I forgot the name of.  For weeks on end.  'Hey, babe', or 'hey you', or even 'hey, clumsy' all worked.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147213 on: September 14, 2019, 06:09:53 am »

Took me a good year and a half to learn the names of people at the gaming club I went to every week.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #147214 on: September 14, 2019, 08:02:39 am »

For whatever reason, I feel compelled to do a 100% run (and maybe even do an ill-fated let's play on Other Games) of an Elder Scrolls game. Probably Morrowind since it's the only one I got installed and I got no internet outside my phone since I am moving (yay).

But damn I am a masochistic idiot.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #147215 on: September 14, 2019, 08:09:33 am »

... what's 100% in this context? 'Cause if it's 'see/loot literally everything' you might want to set your eyes on a smaller elder scrolls game. I think arena was fairly self-contained, maybe? There was one or another, somewhere.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #147216 on: September 14, 2019, 08:15:43 am »

I have the opposite problem.
I can remember basically everything about a person forever, even the most inane details, but once I haven't seen somebody for two weeks or so I have no idea what they look like. I couldn't even give a basic description for most people I "know".

You humans all look the same to me, is what I'm saying.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #147217 on: September 14, 2019, 08:20:32 am »

I met a fellow last night at the bar, we shook hands, I listened for his name, repeated it, held it in my head and thought "Okay, yeah, gonna try and remember this one", and approximately 2 seconds later he introduced himself to the person next to me... Using a different name.

So there was definitely some kind of serious fuckery going on.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147218 on: September 14, 2019, 08:38:08 am »

... what's 100% in this context? 'Cause if it's 'see/loot literally everything' you might want to set your eyes on a smaller elder scrolls game. I think arena was fairly self-contained, maybe? There was one or another, somewhere.

If you want to loot everything, certainly do not do arena or daggerfall. In those two, you can not possibly pick up every item in every dungeon and they disappear when you leave.

But to 100% quests, the best one would probably be Oblivion. Except for main quest, there are only artifact quests and random repeatable quests in Arena and Daggerafall, while in Morrowind, certain factions (and their quests) are mutually exclusive.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #147219 on: September 14, 2019, 08:50:41 am »

If you want to loot everything, certainly do not do arena or daggerfall. In those two, you can not possibly pick up every item in every dungeon and they disappear when you leave.
In Daggerfall you can transfer items into your wagon (750kg capacity) when you're standing next to the exit.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147220 on: September 14, 2019, 08:53:42 am »

In Daggerfall you can transfer items into your wagon (750kg capacity) when you're standing next to the exit.

I know that. But in large dungeons with humanoid foes, total amount of items dropped from enemies could exceed even that. Also it will take you some time to make enough money to buy the wagon in the first place.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147221 on: September 14, 2019, 09:37:27 am »

However Daggerfall is so buggy and unfinished there are a bunch of ways to loot your way to riches very quickly.

Stand in a shop and wait until night time. The shop is closed so you can take whatever without paying, and since you waited inside the shop, the guards don't trigger as you breaking in. Additionally, even though the store is closed I think the shopkeeper is still there so you can sell his stuff right back to him.

Note how out of line this is with actual break and entering in the game. If you break into a house, so much as opening a drawer or cabinet immediately alerts all the guards in town. This is way out of whack with how easy the "strip mine the shops by waiting" tactic is for stealing stuff.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 09:44:16 am by Reelya »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #147222 on: September 14, 2019, 09:41:10 am »

On the flip side, there are even more ways to lose it all and have to start over from scratch!

But damn if it ain't a monolithic example of what games could be...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #147223 on: September 14, 2019, 09:50:08 am »

Daggerfall was an example of what ambition can do.  If it patched out its bugs and maybe fixed some things, like archery, and I think a few of the dungeons had inescapable parts or were uncompletable.  The core experience is great, especially for its time.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #147224 on: September 14, 2019, 11:32:24 am »

Oblivion's the easiest of the newer games thanks to the existence of this here checklist.

Arena and Daggerfall are also simple because of all the random content.

Morrowind and Skyrim don't got that luxury. So I am making my own checklist.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 02:14:41 pm by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?
Pages: 1 ... 9813 9814 [9815] 9816 9817 ... 10974