Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9815 9816 [9817] 9818 9819 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12998169 times)

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #147240 on: September 14, 2019, 10:40:09 pm »

So that PETD guy DMed me and said he "has proof that dwarves are alive and if you disagreee[sic] you are evil" (those exact words, without the sic). He then showed me a screenshot of the "Thoughts and preferences" screen. I laughed at that "proof" and he called me a "heartless basterd[sic]". Seriously?
Who is PETD? Also, why does he apparently think you didn't already know of the Thoughts and Preferences screen?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #147241 on: September 14, 2019, 10:59:31 pm »

So that PETD guy DMed me and said he "has proof that dwarves are alive and if you disagreee[sic] you are evil" (those exact words, without the sic). He then showed me a screenshot of the "Thoughts and preferences" screen. I laughed at that "proof" and he called me a "heartless basterd[sic]". Seriously?
Who is PETD? Also, why does he apparently think you didn't already know of the Thoughts and Preferences screen?
1. Some dude who thinks that mistreating DF dwarves is immoral. He's not on here.
2. I have no idea.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #147242 on: September 14, 2019, 11:00:31 pm »

Could he just be a troll parodying PETA?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147243 on: September 14, 2019, 11:01:39 pm »

Could he just be a troll parodying PETA?
It's not his actual username (I'm not telling for privacy reasons), but maybe.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147244 on: September 14, 2019, 11:53:47 pm »

I think MaxTheFox herself coined PETD "people for the ethical treatment of dorfs" as a joke to parody people like this.

if he thinks dwarves in DF are specifically alive then his argument is purely delusional. I mean, if you argue that people enjoying "cruel" fiction is unethical, you can at least make a point, and it's difficult to argue against that. But to argue that the entities in a simulation like DF are actually alive is just delusional. They're literally only a few bytes of data per entity. Some people make the point that Dorfs are less complex than a single-celled organism, but even this overstates the case. Dorfs are less complex than even a single molecule of protein or similar, let alone an entire living cell. When you drink a glass of water you wipe out living cells equivalent to an entire DF continents worth of complexity.

If DF dorfs were actually alive, then it's not just unethical to hurt them deliberately, we'd now have a ethical Trolley Problem, since the same harm can come to them with you not actually doing anything, just observing. If you left the machine running as the goblins invaded and killed everyone then you're just as guilty as someone who deliberately tortured the dwarves, since you could have stopped it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem

« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 11:57:51 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #147245 on: September 15, 2019, 12:05:47 am »

Huh. Just noticed slay the spire's creator has explicitly acknowledged the reach heaven/through violence card is a kill six billion demons reference. Apparently they're actually a fan.

... I guess it's not that outlandish, really. KSBD's pretty well known. Next thing I know it'll be oglaf references or something, somewhere odd. I still get a bit of a chuckle at the Devil Went Down to Georgia nod in one of the Avernum games...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #147246 on: September 15, 2019, 08:09:19 am »

If DF dorfs were actually alive, then it's not just unethical to hurt them deliberately, we'd now have a ethical Trolley Problem, since the same harm can come to them with you not actually doing anything, just observing. If you left the machine running as the goblins invaded and killed everyone then you're just as guilty as someone who deliberately tortured the dwarves, since you could have stopped it.

You could avoid it by not running DF at all, I suppose.

I wonder if PETD guy is originally from that "is playing DF ethical thread" that got locked a while ago.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #147247 on: September 15, 2019, 05:08:06 pm »

Huh. Just noticed slay the spire's creator has explicitly acknowledged the reach heaven/through violence card is a kill six billion demons reference. Apparently they're actually a fan.

... I guess it's not that outlandish, really. KSBD's pretty well known. Next thing I know it'll be oglaf references or something, somewhere odd. I still get a bit of a chuckle at the Devil Went Down to Georgia nod in one of the Avernum games...
Reach Heaven Through Violence is a card? I should play the new character some time.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #147248 on: September 15, 2019, 06:45:44 pm »

Yeh. Two part deal, actually. Reach heaven does some damage and shuffles through violence into your draw pile. Through violence was a 20 damage 0 cost exhaust, last I saw it. On a character that can potentially triple its damage for a turn, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #147249 on: September 16, 2019, 07:34:45 am »

New monitor arrived. Going from a 15 inch laptop screen to a 32 inch desktop monstrosity is quite the change. I'm finding myself lacking proper space on the table to keep my distance from this thing.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147250 on: September 16, 2019, 09:41:38 am »

For whatever reason, I feel compelled to do a 100% run (and maybe even do an ill-fated let's play on Other Games) of an Elder Scrolls game. Probably Morrowind since it's the only one I got installed and I got no internet outside my phone since I am moving (yay).

But damn I am a masochistic idiot.

Does that include stealing 100% of the brooms?

... what's 100% in this context? 'Cause if it's 'see/loot literally everything' you might want to set your eyes on a smaller elder scrolls game. I think arena was fairly self-contained, maybe? There was one or another, somewhere.

The world in each Elder Scrolls game is smaller than the previous. I would assume the amount of hand-made content is about equal in all of them, though.

Why have you continued talking to this person?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #147251 on: September 16, 2019, 09:50:47 am »

For whatever reason, I feel compelled to do a 100% run (and maybe even do an ill-fated let's play on Other Games) of an Elder Scrolls game. Probably Morrowind since it's the only one I got installed and I got no internet outside my phone since I am moving (yay).

Stealing approximately 100% of the lights is like my default morrowind run, tbh. Sometimes I'll get around to just friggin' festooning some building or another in lamps, but mostly it's just so I have an excuse to mutter "I am the THIEF OF LIGHT" to myself regularly. Good times.
Ask not!
Ask!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147252 on: September 16, 2019, 10:10:20 am »

Why have you continued talking to this person?
I might block him if he keeps bothering me. It's just cringey.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #147253 on: September 16, 2019, 10:55:20 am »

Don't associate yourself with delusional people!
I mean, delusional people not on this website. We are all rational here!I think...
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #147254 on: September 16, 2019, 12:06:05 pm »

Stealing approximately 100% of the lights is like my default morrowind run, tbh. Sometimes I'll get around to just friggin' festooning some building or another in lamps, but mostly it's just so I have an excuse to mutter "I am the THIEF OF LIGHT" to myself regularly. Good times.

Red lights. So I can arrange them around the permacorpse and make the whole house look like a cult hideout, complete with creepy Daedric helms arranged on bookshelves next to skulls.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 9815 9816 [9817] 9818 9819 ... 10973