Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9818 9819 [9820] 9821 9822 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12998517 times)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #147285 on: September 17, 2019, 08:42:47 am »

Your home is a box. Your car is a box on wheels. You drive to work in it. You drive home in it. You sit in your home, staring into a box. It erodes your soul, while the box that is your body inevitably withers... then dies. Whereupon it is placed in the ultimate box, to slowly decompose.
Quote from The Box (2009)

Break that vicious cycle of boxiness! Be proactive! Choose cremation.

Then again I would also give children an inclination to want to hang around their parents and make them able to learn their parents' professional skills by proxy from being present while the parent work. Maybe have them limited to some low skill level but then make their parents work a little faster by having them around (simulating them helping in the workshop).

Honestly, I think this should be made into a proper suggestion (if it hasn't been already). It both makes sense in terms of realism and prevents the problem of all otherwise unskilled children getting assigned one of the "crafting" skills when they go into a mood.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #147286 on: September 17, 2019, 08:57:23 am »

Feel free to do it if you wish. I likely won't myself, I'm get too pretentious about things.
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147287 on: September 17, 2019, 09:17:46 am »

Been playing the second Styx game. Cool Grimdank goblin stealth game. Seems they took the “haha he’s a smartmouth” feedback from the first game and decided to amp it up to 11.

Which is fine. The downside is every time you die he breaks the fourth wall and rebukes you with a little quip. “You realise you’re not supposed to hold the controller with your feet”. I play keyboard mouse. Is this what it feels like to be marginalised?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #147288 on: September 17, 2019, 09:44:54 am »

Been playing the second Styx game. Cool Grimdank goblin stealth game. Seems they took the “haha he’s a smartmouth” feedback from the first game and decided to amp it up to 11.

Which is fine. The downside is every time you die he breaks the fourth wall and rebukes you with a little quip. “You realise you’re not supposed to hold the controller with your feet”. I play keyboard mouse. Is this what it feels like to be marginalised?

Your avatar is die
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147289 on: September 17, 2019, 11:04:32 am »

Your avatar is die

Tinypic Sad Egg is the new fashion.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #147290 on: September 17, 2019, 12:33:14 pm »

"Blood is thicker than water" comes from the phrase "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb" which means the exact opposite.
It actually means that blood shed in battle bonds soldiers more strongly than simple genetics.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147291 on: September 17, 2019, 12:35:38 pm »

"Blood is thicker than water" comes from the phrase "The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb" which means the exact opposite.
It actually means that blood shed in battle bonds soldiers more strongly than simple genetics.
I did not know this. Thus is interesting. I wonder what other phrases we inadvertently switched the meanings of?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #147292 on: September 17, 2019, 12:48:35 pm »

This is a modern myth. The phrase "Blood is thicker than water" predates modern English, while the "water of the womb" variation dates back to the 1970s at the earliest.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147293 on: September 17, 2019, 01:07:07 pm »

This is a modern myth. The phrase "Blood is thicker than water" predates modern English, while the "water of the womb" variation dates back to the 1970s at the earliest.

That specific phrasing is modern, yes, but the "blood means blood brothers" interpretation is referenced in The Blood Covenant - A Primitive Rite And Its Bearings On Scripture from 1893, in reference to the Arabic variation that holds that blood is thicker than (maternal) milk.

It's certainly not about bloodshed in any event, but the idea of deliberate blood covenants as a stronger bond than family (specifically siblinghood) considerably predates the 1970s -- and blood oaths themselves are old as all get out.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 01:11:03 pm by Trekkin »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147294 on: September 17, 2019, 01:11:25 pm »

That specific phrasing is modern, yes, but the "blood means blood brothers" interpretation is referenced in The Blood Covenant - A Primitive Rite And Its Bearings On Scripture from 1893, in reference to the Arabic variation that holds that blood is thicker than (maternal) milk.

It's certainly not about bloodshed in any event, but the idea of deliberate blood covenants as a stronger bond than family (specifically siblinghood) considerably predates the 1970s -- and blood oaths themselves are old as all get out.
I will be watching this discussion

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #147295 on: September 17, 2019, 01:47:58 pm »

Alright, you heard the lady, square up in the center now.  I want a clean fight: keep it above the waist and below the limit.  When I come forward, you back off, and when you hear the bell you stop and go back to your corner.  We all abide, we all leave richer and happier, capisce?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147296 on: September 17, 2019, 01:53:33 pm »

Yeah covenants and wombs feel like they’ve been added later in order to twist it.

That being said “and satisfaction brought it back” is said to have been in the original as well.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #147297 on: September 17, 2019, 02:06:19 pm »

Blood covenants have never been considered stronger than family (blood) bonds. The entire point of a blood covenant is to share blood - to become as family, because just like your family's blood runs through your veins by birth, your covenant-brother's blood now runs through your veins too.

I did not know this. Thus is interesting. I wonder what other phrases we inadvertently switched the meanings of?

There are a whole bunch of them which is usually repeated along with the above one whenever they come up (because they're mentioned in a common repost of a screenshot of a Tumblr discussion) , but as far as I know most of them are myths too.
Love, scriver~

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147298 on: September 17, 2019, 02:17:36 pm »

Blood covenants have never been considered stronger than family (blood) bonds. The entire point of a blood covenant is to share blood - to become as family, because just like your family's blood runs through your veins by birth, your covenant-brother's blood now runs through your veins too.
Are you deliberately ignoring Trekkin's reference?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147299 on: September 17, 2019, 02:19:12 pm »

It's all a lie anyway. The saying was originally a shibboleth that allowed ancient vampires to find one another.
Pages: 1 ... 9818 9819 [9820] 9821 9822 ... 10974