Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9824 9825 [9826] 9827 9828 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13141188 times)

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #147375 on: September 23, 2019, 02:13:30 pm »

That statement says just enough to tell me that I'm being told that you don't agree with me, but not enough to tell me why you don't agree with me

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #147376 on: September 23, 2019, 02:37:03 pm »

Do you mean

1, Streaming game services a la Google's (or was it Microsoft?)   new launched platform?

2, Playing while streaming the game over say Twitch?

Or 3, Watching somebody else play a game that they stream over say Twitch?
Love, scriver~

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #147377 on: September 23, 2019, 03:04:28 pm »

I would suggest the third one.

I generally only watch people play games that a) I am interested in but not enough to buy.

b) I have already played and enjoyed significantly.

c) are competitive multiplayer games in which I have a passing interest.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #147378 on: September 23, 2019, 04:06:04 pm »

That... should be the first, tho'. They're trying to break into a platform where you just have like... a browser or something, on your end. Basically just video and some input. And everything else is ran on some server somewhere. Sorta' like the next step from MMOs or whatever, where instead of most or a lot of stuff being ran server side basically gorram everything is and your computer's more or less just a TV screen.

So far as them being the only one to despise it, no. No, they're not the only one to despise it. There's a decent sized group of screeching rage monkeys pissed by it, for reasons varied. Personally kinda' ambivalent -- it's just about guaranteed I'd never personally use such a service, so on that front it's just kinda' 'eh'. If people want to use it then... okay. Somewhat leery about companies taking licencing bullshit to the next logical extreme, though. All the persistence flaws of MMOs, spreading like cancer to everything else. Necessarily online-only is eternally iffy.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147379 on: September 23, 2019, 04:10:54 pm »

I'm worried about it becoming the only option

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #147380 on: September 23, 2019, 04:16:17 pm »

Yeah, that's fairly unlikely. Only option for specific vendors, maybe -- I could see nintendo or some shit doing away with physical items and anything on the console's HD or somethin' -- but there's pretty much always going to be a market for things that ain't like that, if for no other reason than that huge chunks of the world have spotty internet access. Online only isn't an option for enough folks that providing the option for something else is long going to be on the table.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147381 on: September 23, 2019, 05:28:01 pm »

Game streaming is honestly a terrible idea.  There'd be considerable lag between input and what's on screen, and I doubt anything beyond turn based would even be playable.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #147382 on: September 23, 2019, 05:33:58 pm »

I was gonna praise PS Now for giving me a decent selection of games to stream but then I realize I usually just download and play vs stream the content because streaming is actually pretty slow and now I lost my chain of thought.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #147383 on: September 23, 2019, 05:35:55 pm »

Game streaming is honestly a terrible idea.  There'd be considerable lag between input and what's on screen, and I doubt anything beyond turn based would even be playable.

+1

Though my only experience of playing a streamed game was when my cousin let me play RE4 on the PS4 via SharePlay.

4,000 miles creates a great deal of lag when the information has to go from his system to my system and then back again. That experience lasted all of 10 minutes.

Sony also has PS Now, or whatever it’s called, a subscription service for streaming games from various past systems. Too many pennies when I know there are other ways of playing those games.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147384 on: September 23, 2019, 05:45:37 pm »

+1

Though my only experience of playing a streamed game was when my cousin let me play RE4 on the PS4 via SharePlay.

4,000 miles creates a great deal of lag when the information has to go from his system to my system and then back again. That experience lasted all of 10 minutes.

Sony also has PS Now, or whatever it’s called, a subscription service for streaming games from various past systems. Too many pennies when I know there are other ways of playing those games.

PS Now is only PS3 games.  Its like 20 or 30 bucks a month on top of presumably needed PS Plus which is another 20.  There's like 2 games off the top of my head that I'd want to play, and honestly just buying a damn PS3 and those games would be more cost effective.  I'd have to play like 2-3 new PS3 games every month to justify the cost.

PS2 games you can buy individually on the store, though.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #147385 on: September 23, 2019, 06:20:24 pm »

PS Now is only PS3 games.  Its like 20 or 30 bucks a month on top of presumably needed PS Plus which is another 20.  There's like 2 games off the top of my head that I'd want to play, and honestly just buying a damn PS3 and those games would be more cost effective.  I'd have to play like 2-3 new PS3 games every month to justify the cost.

PS2 games you can buy individually on the store, though.
PS Now has games from PS2,PS3, and PS4. PS3 is singled out because they must be streamed whereas PS2 and PS4 games can be downloaded onto console. I don't have PS Plus but I do have PS Now so plus membership isn't required.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147386 on: September 23, 2019, 07:02:12 pm »

Subscription services to play games also annoy me

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147387 on: September 23, 2019, 07:22:10 pm »

Subscription services to play games also annoy me

Apple's new Arcade may have something going to it since it releases quality (for the most part) games on there and is an attempt to get around 'Pay To Win (aka 'Free to play')' type games which have taken over the app store. The update that unlocks it isn't available for Ipad just yet and it's only just been released, so, theres not a huge (in comparison to the main apple store) selection just yet.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147388 on: September 23, 2019, 07:53:23 pm »

I also have a problem with apple, since they keep releasing 1000 dollar phones with no real changes to the old model

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147389 on: September 23, 2019, 08:22:33 pm »

Eh. It was only a matter of time until someone thought 'oh hey netflix for games'.

I'm more wondering about how the developers will make money off it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 9824 9825 [9826] 9827 9828 ... 10980