Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9831 9832 [9833] 9834 9835 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12998518 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #147480 on: September 28, 2019, 05:05:43 pm »

You cawards, cawing in before avian tyranny, will be the first ones against a wall
I welcome you though. Have you seen what the humans are doing with their power? The ones with the most currency have the most power, and tehy use that power to get yet more money in the short term, not thinking of the long term consequences of POLLUTING THE AIR

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147481 on: September 28, 2019, 05:14:01 pm »

You cawards, cawing in before avian tyranny, will be the first ones against a wall
I welcome you though. Have you seen what the humans are doing with their power? The ones with the most currency have the most power, and tehy use that power to get yet more money in the short term, not thinking of the long term consequences of POLLUTING THE AIR

Birbs 2020
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #147482 on: September 28, 2019, 05:39:41 pm »

Well, it’s no wonder we prefer the birds with an attitude like that. I’d prefer a murder of crows to the murder you tout!

Caward.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147483 on: September 28, 2019, 06:55:54 pm »

But the birds need them

Artificially feeding wild birds isn't a way to boost the native bird population, it's way to breed a species of what are effectively disease-carrying flying rats :P Any native birds that come to feed will be pushed out over time by swarms of invasive sparrow or pigeon species.

It'd make as much sense as pumping additional food into the sewers because the rats are hungry. :P Feeding them won't make them any less hungry, you'll just have more rats, and more suffering once you take the food source away.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 07:00:10 pm by Reelya »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #147484 on: September 28, 2019, 07:11:42 pm »

Despite being one of the canonized classic episodes of Star Trek, "Darmok" is incredibly goofy and campy. I watched it again last night and couldn't stop thinking "Even in the 90s how did they take this seriously?" It's still out-camped and out-goofed by a number of Original Series episodes, but is easily the silliest TNG episode I can recall.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147485 on: September 28, 2019, 07:23:30 pm »

My god, and I just woke up from a dream about a bloodthirsty birb!
Cawincidence... or something far more sinister?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147486 on: September 28, 2019, 07:42:34 pm »

Despite being one of the canonized classic episodes of Star Trek, "Darmok" is incredibly goofy and campy. I watched it again last night and couldn't stop thinking "Even in the 90s how did they take this seriously?" It's still out-camped and out-goofed by a number of Original Series episodes, but is easily the silliest TNG episode I can recall.

It's ranked as #5 greatest episode of all time though. So there's some disconnect there.

I'd say literally any episode in which something Wesley was fucking around with happens to save the day from some space anomaly is more cheesy than this. They just dress those episodes up with more "Days of Our Lives ... in space" window dressing, so they're more palatable. Q episodes are way more cheese than this, too.

The reason it's highly ranked could probably be deciphered. Rather than featuring some "science-fiction-y" thing such as the ship being trapped in a space vortex or similar, and having a techno-babble deus ex machina solution provided by a little boy, it's about communication, language, culture and it's personal rather than scientific. It's one of the few episode in which the difficulties of communicating with alien life isn't hand-waved away with techno-babble. And this is why it's highly regarded. It doesn't quite fit in Star Trek canon, because it is actually a piece exploring something more thoroughly that's normally effortlessly glossed over in the rest of canon.

EDIT: to give you an idea of the disconnect between something like Darmok vs the how "universal translator" works, consider how all the other main races have not only base-10 numbering systems, they actually use 1000s grouping for all their bigger numbers. This is canon for Klingons for example: the Klingon number system has direct words to translate thousand, million, billion and so on. However, we don't even have that level consistency on Earth. Not even among cultures who agree we should be using base-10. For all the Trek love, the other races are super-simplified compared to the diversity of culture on Earth. Darmok is highly regarded because it effectively abandons canon to try and tell a truer story of how hard it would be to communicate.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 08:00:50 pm by Reelya »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147487 on: September 28, 2019, 08:03:42 pm »

Is that the episode where the alien is pretty clearly a guy hiding under a rug? My knowledge of the original Trek is pretty limited.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147488 on: September 28, 2019, 08:17:30 pm »

No, it's the Star Trek TNG episode where Picard is stranded on a barren planet with an alien captain trying to communicate, but the basis of the alien's way of thinking is too different for the Universal Translator to directly communicate. Their language is entirely based on metaphor and simile, but the Universal Translator just delivers a literal translation. So ... the universal translator is working, it's just that unless you already know what the other guy is talking about a literal translation is pretty useless. There's truth in that. It explores the likely limitations of Space-Google-Translate.

EDIT: It's probably well-regarded compared to the typical "on this planet, people wear shoes on their heads and get offended because they think the Star Trek crew are wearings hats on their feet" kind of plots that are more prevalent to express the idea of "cultural differences".
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 08:40:24 pm by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147489 on: September 28, 2019, 09:02:13 pm »

I've watched barely a handful of Star Trek episodes in my life, but hearing it summed up in anecdotes it tends to sound freakin' hilarious.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147490 on: September 28, 2019, 09:48:07 pm »

I've watched barely a handful of Star Trek episodes in my life, but hearing it summed up in anecdotes it tends to sound freakin' hilarious.

What doesn't make any sense is that they constantly meet other space-faring races who do exactly one thing different to humans, which becomes the basis of the entire episode, and apparently none of those races have ever run into each other and noticed anybody else doing it the same way Earthlings do.

"we do not comprehend these foot-hats you Earthlings wear"

"oh you mean shoes, like every other race in the galaxy wears, including ones that you've already interacted with, according to canon?!?"
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 09:53:16 pm by Reelya »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147491 on: September 28, 2019, 10:20:18 pm »

I love that kind of cheesy anti-logic in films and media.
Like those wonderfully gonzo old kung-fu movies that make no bloody sense by any yardstick.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147492 on: September 28, 2019, 10:34:51 pm »

The best bit is that the plot of said episodes usually revolves around how they have to befriend the greatest scientist of the alien planet, and he can at least half understand how to put a shoe on, after having it demonstrated to him a dozen times, so now they have shoes.

EDIT: Or, if it's TNG-era it's switches around to a debate between the "what right do we as the Great White Space Explorers have to tell these people they should wear shoes" faction vs the "shoes would at least protect their feet!" faction.

EDIT2: A third possible type of plot they like to go with, is that the crew discovers that the shoe-on-head people actually originated from a crashed ship and they got the wrong idea about footwear due to loss of culture.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 10:44:02 pm by Reelya »

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #147493 on: September 29, 2019, 01:43:19 am »

So, what happened to the Area 51 raid? It was all over the Internet during its day, but now, it's dead in the water. I know that, apparently, two Dutch vloggers got arrested, but I don't really know if there was a crowd that got mass arrested/suppressed, or how many people actually showed up.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #147494 on: September 29, 2019, 02:27:29 am »

200 hippies in green alien costumes showed up to a music festival
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 9831 9832 [9833] 9834 9835 ... 10974