Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9850 9851 [9852] 9853 9854 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13237012 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #147765 on: October 08, 2019, 08:11:11 am »

because then the prehistoric cunts that are in it now couldnt possibly win

and they would never allow anything that could cause them to lose
Nobody said the candidates themselves had to do the fighting... I'm thinking each political party would have a roster of fighters ready to go at it come election time.

No, the best part is getting rid of people who want power.

Well there was a Doctor Who serial once (I'm talking pre-reboot) with a planet where they strapped the Dictator into a chair, and everyone pushes "Yes" or "No" on buttons on their TV. The Dictator then gets electrocuted proportionally to how many "No" votes they got. If they die, that means they got voted out.
This would be interesting, it means the candidates would try to actually say why they would be good, rather than simply that their opponent was bad

Sure, that might work. That, or politics would become even more two teams fighting.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #147766 on: October 08, 2019, 09:38:34 am »

Is this piss off China week? You got South Park, the NBA, and now Blizzard getting caught up in offending the glorious Chinese Communist party
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #147767 on: October 08, 2019, 09:55:24 am »

Like... we need those, I think. International roast nation X weeks. Fifty two nations, I guess ordered by median per capita gdp or something? It could work.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147768 on: October 08, 2019, 09:57:21 am »

If you check the Blizzard link, the issue is that they sided with the communist party and booted a Hearthstone player for expressing Hong Kong protest support.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147769 on: October 08, 2019, 10:02:54 am »

Like... we need those, I think. International roast nation X weeks. Fifty two nations, I guess ordered by median per capita gdp or something? It could work.
It sounds like a neat idea, nations can hear criticisms from other nations and use the information to improve themselves. USA needs this, since most Americans fail to see any problems. The problem with thinking you’re #1 is that you see no reason to improve. We need to know what the problems are so we can fix them, this goes for other nations too, obviously, I just don’t like how most everyone in my country fails to see the problems with two parties effectively controlled by corporations, or that our country is turning into/might already be a plutocrstic Christian theocracy

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147770 on: October 08, 2019, 10:15:33 am »

So, I've been scrounging around for new hope in my life; I just really want a new occupation, something that'll really entail a worthy and useful duty and service to others. I asked a coworker friend what he thought, and he recommended occupational or physical therapy line of work. Looking into it myself... that would be something like 6+ years of work. I could aim a little lower and just aim at Therapists' Assistant, but that's still really substantial. Man, why's everything gotta be such a massive cost in time and money, it's very daunting when I have no real clue what to do with my life and getting started would mean a leap of faith on what amounts to a whim.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #147771 on: October 08, 2019, 10:16:41 am »

Nah, the US doesn't need that: A lot Americans already appear to feel ostracized and looked down upon by the rest of the world.

At least on the internet.

Further pushing around a group that already feels pushed around only results in the group banding together more strongly in their own re-loathing of all others. It's the Westboro Baptist Church effect in which the group is held together just as much by the rest of the world's hatred of them as their own hatred of the rest of the world.

And a lot of the Americans not in the above group just as often seems to idealise and almost fetishise the rest of the world, so it's not like the opposite isn't a problem either.
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147772 on: October 08, 2019, 10:20:42 am »

Man, why's everything gotta be such a massive cost in time and money, it's very daunting when I have no real clue what to do with my life and getting started would mean a leap of faith on what amounts to a whim.

That's how careers work. You spend the rest of your life regretting your decision one way or another, because people aren't intended to live past 30.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147773 on: October 08, 2019, 11:40:34 am »

Nah, the US doesn't need that: A lot Americans already appear to feel ostracized and looked down upon by the rest of the world.

Further pushing around a group that already feels pushed around only results in the group banding together more strongly in their own re-loathing of all others. It's the Westboro Baptist Church effect in which the group is held together just as much by the rest of the world's hatred of them as their own hatred of the rest of the world.

And a lot of the Americans not in the above group just as often seems to idealise and almost fetishise the rest of the world, so it's not like the opposite isn't a problem either.
It looks like the leaders don't focus on improvements as much as they do the military. I don't like being part of a country that spends the most money in the world, does war without declaring it, claims its peaceful when what they spend money on says otherwise, I guess what I'm saying is I don't like how the leaders of my country are spending their money, and both parties will continue to do this, and they don't actually listen to the citizenry.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #147774 on: October 08, 2019, 12:11:26 pm »

It looks like the leaders don't focus on improvements as much as they do the military. I don't like being part of a country that spends the most money in the world, does war without declaring it, claims its peaceful when what they spend money on says otherwise, I guess what I'm saying is I don't like how the leaders of my country are spending their money, and both parties will continue to do this, and they don't actually listen to the citizenry.
Shut up. Who are you to question the will of the leaders.

I hope they send you to a reeducation camp
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147775 on: October 08, 2019, 12:19:13 pm »

I understand that, and I agree. Those are reasons I would not want to live in the USA too.

But I also don't want to live in a country that completely lacks any kind of ability to defend itself. Where unfriendly states routinely crosses into our airspace and commit infrastructural sabotage, and top level government officials are so careless and feckless that they just literally give away military secrets to foreign organisations without any kind of checks or precautions (and then, when it's found out just how gravely they screwed up, get away with it scot free). Where the calculated period we can defend ourselves if attacked before we have to capitulate amounts to thirty minutes.

Because that's the reality of my home, Sweden. So yes, I agree that spending less on war is a thing the USA should do. But European states are not automatically good role models.
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147776 on: October 08, 2019, 12:36:58 pm »

top level government officials are so careless and feckless that they just literally give away military secrets to foreign organisations without any kind of checks or precautions (and then, when it's found out just how gravely they screwed up, get away with it scot free).

This one?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147777 on: October 08, 2019, 12:40:55 pm »

Lol, okay, I can't deny that. But it happened here too! Well, not twittering. A governing official outsourced the handling of secret information to foreign companies without making any kind of checks or taking precautions. So they basically handed every interested state the knowledge of who key military personale is and where they live.
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #147778 on: October 08, 2019, 01:58:18 pm »

I understand that, and I agree. Those are reasons I would not want to live in the USA too.

But I also don't want to live in a country that completely lacks any kind of ability to defend itself. Where unfriendly states routinely crosses into our airspace and commit infrastructural sabotage, and top level government officials are so careless and feckless that they just literally give away military secrets to foreign organisations without any kind of checks or precautions (and then, when it's found out just how gravely they screwed up, get away with it scot free). Where the calculated period we can defend ourselves if attacked before we have to capitulate amounts to thirty minutes.

Because that's the reality of my home, Sweden. So yes, I agree that spending less on war is a thing the USA should do. But European states are not automatically good role models.

But I thought Switzerland had a significant citizen militia??
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147779 on: October 08, 2019, 02:00:43 pm »

o/ that's not Sweden tho.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 9850 9851 [9852] 9853 9854 ... 10984