Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9871 9872 [9873] 9874 9875 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13004071 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #148080 on: October 20, 2019, 06:08:21 pm »

That's not a very helpful trick, since you don't know what's coming until you open the thread. Better is to just put everyone you see performing the undesired behavior on ignore. That way you don't need to be prescient :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #148081 on: October 20, 2019, 06:11:08 pm »

Well actually I just broke one hand, three fingers , and a leg. As well as giving two a concussion.
This actually happened.
And the reason for this?
The teacher refused to turn off the light.
This type of arbitrary violent behavior is not conducive to proper societal existence.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #148082 on: October 20, 2019, 06:16:48 pm »

Well actually I just broke one hand, three fingers , and a leg. As well as giving two a concussion.
This actually happened.
And the reason for this?
The teacher refused to turn off the light.
This type of arbitrary violent behavior is not conducive to proper societal existence.
This person strikes me as someone requiring attention, what with the whole multiple personalities communicating with each other via internet forum and that they casually engage in savage violence for no particular reason.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dragofire

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified genius and snek lover.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148083 on: October 20, 2019, 06:30:24 pm »

Only 3 is like that.
My Stuff
My Dragon Cave Scroll
We could just lie on all of our maps, or we could flood Europe.
The standard sense of Mario is that he won't murder someone but isn't good enough to not smash bugs. This is engraved into everyone’s mind.
There was one slight problem with the climb, and that was the spontaneous combustion.

Dragofire

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified genius and snek lover.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148084 on: October 20, 2019, 06:35:03 pm »

I'm just going to cry in the corner now. I genuinely try to control 3 and 4. 2 is tolerable, but 3 is insane, and 4 is scary.
My Stuff
My Dragon Cave Scroll
We could just lie on all of our maps, or we could flood Europe.
The standard sense of Mario is that he won't murder someone but isn't good enough to not smash bugs. This is engraved into everyone’s mind.
There was one slight problem with the climb, and that was the spontaneous combustion.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148085 on: October 20, 2019, 08:10:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure this guy is jobbing us.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #148086 on: October 20, 2019, 08:22:14 pm »

They’re deliberately losing the match in such a manner to make the crowd think we’re good?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148087 on: October 20, 2019, 08:26:22 pm »

Windows managed to sneakily bypass my metered connection setting and install updates, and I can't uninstall them because now I can't operate the setting app, because it just stops working
EDIT: I bypassed the settings menu using the search function, and now I need to wait to see if this progress bar will ever actually fill
Edit2: well it filled, but I can't tell if it's instantly reinstalling the updates or if it's just using the same message
EDIT3: I can't tell if the fact that the uninstall update thing no longer displays date installed means it worked or if something is broken

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #148088 on: October 20, 2019, 09:17:38 pm »

They’re deliberately losing the match in such a manner to make the crowd think we’re good?
WE ARE AWE-SOME
*clap* *clap* *clapclapclap*
WE ARE AWE-SOME
*clap* *clap* *clapclapclap*
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148089 on: October 20, 2019, 09:42:15 pm »

It's also generally a good idea to consult doctors for your medical advice. Not wannabes.

Missed this lovely jab from trekkin, but, you might still be interested to know that cyanoacrylate glue is used widely in medicine.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/cyanoacrylate

https://www.healthline.com/health/super-glue-on-cuts

Which lists several formulations, and brands, used in medicine.  All of them were developed specifically for medical use after off label use of ordinary superglue by military medics started using the stuff for medical triage.

All of them are effectively superglue. The major differences are in the reaction's biproducts, and the rigidity of the cyanoacrylate complexes. There's a wide selection of glues on the market, many of which produce these exact complexes.

The side effects of using industrial glue correspond with using it internally or on flexing areas, neither of which apply to application on a broken fingernail. The degree of toxicity in a tiny area of skin are appreciably similar to getting it on your skin. People have this happen all the time without I'll effect. The hazard is in it trapping harmful bacteria or irritating debris, promoting festering. Debriding the wound first resolves that risk.

While Trekkin is right that you should ask a doctor if you have questions or doubts, you should also do your own basic research before spouting off.

That way you don't come across like an asshole, like he just did. :)

Stick to genetic engineering trekkin.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 10:39:52 pm by wierd »

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148090 on: October 21, 2019, 02:43:46 am »

Oh, I'm not contesting that cyanoacrylate has medical uses. My point was somewhat broader than that: that if you have an actual medical problem, it's best to consult someone who actually has the relevant training to evaluate how to apply general medical principles to your specific case. A medical doctorate is a fast way to establish that, although by no means sufficient.

You see, it's all very well to spout random facts you happen to know so long as no one really needs them, at which point it's no longer enough to know the basics, or the general principles, or the high-level idea as it applies to hypothetical, idealized cases. You actually need all the fiddly, boring exceptions that occupy so much time in higher-level undergrad courses and that are, in many ways, the point of graduate education: after a certain point, the best way to show you all the ways science can fail to work according to predictions is to just have the student fail at it. Medical training can't work that way from an ethical perspective, though, since you really don't want to just run newbie doctors through patients until they stop dying.

At some point in the process, it's not sufficient for your answer to happen to be correct. It also has to be demonstrably the most completely correct answer of which you could reasonably have known; this is sometimes called intellectual honesty. Unfortunately, being able to do that is a full-time job, and also necessary to be a doctor of any kind, let alone a medical doctor.

Do you recall, wierd, how you once told me you have no fear of being wrong? I can go find the quote if you like, but the exact wording isn't necessary. It's enough to note that a certain fear of being wrong is necessary to do real research and doubly necessary to practice good medicine, because there are serious consequences to only being right some of the time. Part of acquiring real credentials is demonstrating an awareness of those consequences and a willingness and ability to avoid them.

I don't point out your total lack of doctoral credentials just to needle you, wierd, or because I think you're stupid or ignorant; truth be told, most of the time on these boards you do as well as could be expected of a hobbyist, and I say that with high expectations and no trace of condescension. You get about as close as anyone can without hours to spend reading journal articles every day and years sunk into learning how. That's just not enough to provide advice on people's health and medical treatment, and it's dangerous to forget to disclaim that.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 02:49:38 am by Trekkin »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #148091 on: October 21, 2019, 03:21:47 am »

One goes on night-time sword fights on rooftops and the other dreams of potatoes.

I've never actually fought anyone on a roof at night, to be fair. Only public squares. And once you get halfway through twilight the whole thing is a bit of a joke because it's really difficult to follow a narrow grey sword in half-light.

I'm pretty sure this guy is jobbing us.

The only medically recognised form of split personality that I know of is dissociative identity disorder, which is characterised significantly by dissociative amnesia, i.e. none of the alters really remembers properly what the others get up to. The one person I've chatted with who had a diagnosed case of DID would be very pleased if she could pick which alter was on the top at any given time.

As an interested amateur, it sounds more like something in the vein of schizophrenia or a schizophrenia-adjacent condition, or an elaborate troll.

Assuming it's real, it's definitely (in any case) cause to seek professional medical help. Violent behaviour over minor slights is the kind of thing that will land you in dire straits very quickly, be it caused by DID, schizophrenia, or something else entirely.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148092 on: October 21, 2019, 03:25:27 am »

Oh, I'm not contesting that cyanoacrylate has medical uses. My point was somewhat broader than that: that if you have an actual medical problem, it's best to consult someone who actually has the relevant training to evaluate how to apply general medical principles to your specific case. A medical doctorate is a fast way to establish that, although by no means sufficient.

You see, it's all very well to spout random facts you happen to know so long as no one really needs them, at which point it's no longer enough to know the basics, or the general principles, or the high-level idea as it applies to hypothetical, idealized cases. You actually need all the fiddly, boring exceptions that occupy so much time in higher-level undergrad courses and that are, in many ways, the point of graduate education: after a certain point, the best way to show you all the ways science can fail to work according to predictions is to just have the student fail at it. Medical training can't work that way from an ethical perspective, though, since you really don't want to just run newbie doctors through patients until they stop dying.

At some point in the process, it's not sufficient for your answer to happen to be correct. It also has to be demonstrably the most completely correct answer of which you could reasonably have known; this is sometimes called intellectual honesty. Unfortunately, being able to do that is a full-time job, and also necessary to be a doctor of any kind, let alone a medical doctor.

Do you recall, wierd, how you once told me you have no fear of being wrong? I can go find the quote if you like, but the exact wording isn't necessary. It's enough to note that a certain fear of being wrong is necessary to do real research and doubly necessary to practice good medicine, because there are serious consequences to only being right some of the time. Part of acquiring real credentials is demonstrating an awareness of those consequences and a willingness and ability to avoid them.

I don't point out your total lack of doctoral credentials just to needle you, wierd, or because I think you're stupid or ignorant; truth be told, most of the time on these boards you do as well as could be expected of a hobbyist, and I say that with high expectations and no trace of condescension. You get about as close as anyone can without hours to spend reading journal articles every day and years sunk into learning how. That's just not enough to provide advice on people's health and medical treatment, and it's dangerous to forget to disclaim that.

The flipside to that though, Trekkin, is that you seek medical advice for something that just needs a band-aid-- OR, worse yet, being stricken with inability to take decisive action in an emergency.

For a lost nail, with no explicable reason for the loss, yes-- you should consult a physician.  That is not a reason to leave an open wound open and untreated.  Amputations need to be left untreated other than local pressure to assure good reattachment, but you do not reattach lost fingernails.

In this particular case, the risks associated with being wrong are minimal;  The glue will peel of in about 4 to 7 days all on its own, by which time new nail should be growing from the nailbed. During that time, the glue will have provided mechanical protection of the nailbed to prevent further damage.

While it may seem easy for you to spout about, I actually do see a very large number of wounds and skin issues in my line of work. (Geriatric skin has a pronounced reduction in elastin, collagen, and a reduced population of fibroblasts. This results in substantially easier to damage, and much harder to treat skin conditions. I have seen a completely degloved hand, and assisted in putting the skin back. I have some degree of hands-on experience with this area.) Effective treatment is often placed on us low level employees. (Much like in your industry, lab techs are often the ones doing the wet chem, and you trust them to do that wet chem.)

I can tell you how to dress an injury so that it does not worsen, on your way to the doctor for the consult.  I cannot diagnose the reason for the nail loss, and I made no attempt to do so.  Only how to address the immediate concern of an open and tender nail bed.

Diagnoses are outside my scope of practice.  Applying dressings and providing treatments however, are well within it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 03:29:32 am by wierd »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148093 on: October 21, 2019, 04:35:33 am »

Windows managed to sneakily bypass my metered connection setting and install updates, and I can't uninstall them because now I can't operate the setting app, because it just stops working
EDIT: I bypassed the settings menu using the search function, and now I need to wait to see if this progress bar will ever actually fill
Edit2: well it filled, but I can't tell if it's instantly reinstalling the updates or if it's just using the same message
EDIT3: I can't tell if the fact that the uninstall update thing no longer displays date installed means it worked or if something is broken

I bought a license for NetLimiter and it's one of the best $20 ever spent. you can throttle or block any service or IP address, including Windows Update ones.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148094 on: October 21, 2019, 04:39:10 am »

Linux is free.

:)
Pages: 1 ... 9871 9872 [9873] 9874 9875 ... 10974