Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9886 9887 [9888] 9889 9890 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12996116 times)

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #148305 on: October 28, 2019, 11:47:33 am »

My professor is terrible and our presentations are suffering in front of a guest because we have no concrete directives. >:(

Wear a suit and act confidently. Smug confidence is worth much more than actually knowing what you're talking about.

I wish I was joking.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #148306 on: October 28, 2019, 12:26:29 pm »

On youtube, I just got a notifier for a channel I am not subscribed to, and I am not sure I've ever been on that channel before.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #148307 on: October 28, 2019, 01:18:03 pm »

YouTube occasionally tries to sneak in some extra influence.

its been proven that YouTube isn't impartial, and that Google's giant moneyboner comes from getting you to do what it suggests
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #148308 on: October 28, 2019, 07:07:46 pm »

On youtube, I just got a notifier for a channel I am not subscribed to, and I am not sure I've ever been on that channel before.
Weird.  I've never got such a notification (because I don't ring the bell), I only ever get notifications for comment replies.

not that I partake in Youtube discourse
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148309 on: October 28, 2019, 07:12:53 pm »

A famous haematologist from Madrid is ditching medicine to join a neo-Francoist party. I shit you not

Do they need to ditch medicine to join that or something?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148310 on: October 28, 2019, 07:14:28 pm »

Weird.  I've never got such a notification (because I don't ring the bell), I only ever get notifications for comment replies.

not that I partake in Youtube discourse
If you go to science videos the conversations can actually be educational

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148311 on: October 29, 2019, 12:51:20 am »

Yes, but those science sheeple believe the world is round and billions of years old. Wake up, sheeple.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #148312 on: October 29, 2019, 01:38:44 am »

A famous haematologist from Madrid is ditching medicine to join a neo-Francoist party. I shit you not

Do they need to ditch medicine to join that or something?
Well you can't be a MP and practice at the same time, realistically. Though, given the degree of absentism of some MPs,  he could potentially pull it off I guess.

The thing is that he's the kind of guy that, should he desire it, could probably make a living by giving talks for the pharmaceutical industry. Yet he does this instead...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148313 on: October 29, 2019, 03:02:17 am »

Well, important to do something you believe in, or whatever...

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148314 on: October 29, 2019, 09:10:27 am »

In /r/HailCorporate news, T-Mobile Tuesday is a thing that happens every Tuesday. As a customer, you get a few things every week - free fast food, gas coupons, a giveaway for whatever.

Today's extra freebie is a selection of pumpkin templates. Nearly all of which contained the T-Mobile logo. Just in case you want to advertise via mangled pumpkin who your favorite current phone carrier is.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148315 on: October 29, 2019, 09:20:38 am »

(-snip-)

To put it bluntly, there are huge pitfalls associated with learning about science via Youtube comments.

For one thing, the vast majority of science videos are meant for a popular audience, so they prioritize comprehensibility over accuracy. That's fine when those simplifications are a prelude to a more complex lesson later, but not everyone ever makes that leap, so a lot of those commenters are just throwing nicely discretized but ultimately inaccurate factoids at each other.

That leads into the larger problem, though: signal-to-noise ratio. For every actual, credentialed expert on Youtube taking the time to communicate correctly, there's a small horde of people with a giant chip on their shoulder and something to prove about the scientific expertise they don't have, and the comments section is a great place for them to get into fights with similarly underequipped laypeople. Occasionally they might parrot something approaching correct information, but it's far easier to sound scientific (to laypeople) than to be so, and folks interested in the former over the latter generally just want a platform from which to sound smarter than the next guy. You can do that most easily by just throwing vaguely related-sounding words at people until they shut up.

Entertaining, maybe, but if you want to learn as many true things and as few false things as possible, don't learn from Youtube.

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #148316 on: October 29, 2019, 09:30:17 am »

(-snip-)

To put it bluntly, there are huge pitfalls associated with learning about science via Youtube comments.

For one thing, the vast majority of science videos are meant for a popular audience, so they prioritize comprehensibility over accuracy. That's fine when those simplifications are a prelude to a more complex lesson later, but not everyone ever makes that leap, so a lot of those commenters are just throwing nicely discretized but ultimately inaccurate factoids at each other.

That leads into the larger problem, though: signal-to-noise ratio. For every actual, credentialed expert on Youtube taking the time to communicate correctly, there's a small horde of people with a giant chip on their shoulder and something to prove about the scientific expertise they don't have, and the comments section is a great place for them to get into fights with similarly underequipped laypeople. Occasionally they might parrot something approaching correct information, but it's far easier to sound scientific (to laypeople) than to be so, and folks interested in the former over the latter generally just want a platform from which to sound smarter than the next guy. You can do that most easily by just throwing vaguely related-sounding words at people until they shut up.

Entertaining, maybe, but if you want to learn as many true things and as few false things as possible, don't learn from Youtube.
Where would be a better place to learn, in your view?
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148317 on: October 29, 2019, 09:44:30 am »

My professor is terrible and our presentations are suffering in front of a guest because we have no concrete directives. >:(

Wear a suit and act confidently. Smug confidence is worth much more than actually knowing what you're talking about.

I wish I was joking.

Heh, after I had my first office job and ended up back on unemployment I started going into the welfare office wearing buttoned shirts, and the difference in attitude of the staff there was amazing. I still had long hair and wore jeans and converse sneakers or doc martens, and pretty much everything else about my appearance was the same, but button shirt vs t-shirt apparently makes the difference between them treating you like shit vs calling you "sir" and being helpful. Pro-tip there. Since then I always wore a shirt to all the mandatory job placement things and got treated a lot better, no matter how slobby you are other times.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 09:47:40 am by Reelya »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148318 on: October 29, 2019, 09:46:52 am »

(-snip-)

I learn by reading scientific papers as well. Comments are not my main source of research. There are times where I correct inaccurate information, I do research and try to make sure that what I say is correct, and when someone corrects me when I’m wrong, I thank them. I look for scientific papers as my main research. I don’t rely on comments.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148319 on: October 29, 2019, 09:59:52 am »

(-snip-)
Where would be a better place to learn, in your view?

Well, while I know it's not always feasible, the best place to learn about a subject deeply and fully is still a university; you can certainly come away from college having learnt nothing, but if you put in the time, it is designed with considerable care to force you to learn enough to make you aware of what else you need to learn in order to know something, and of course there's significant motivation for the courses to be accurate and ample other resources for you to use. It's also sometimes possible to use local community colleges for this purpose in ways that have a smaller time commitment and much less cost than a full four-year degree.

Beyond that, if you want to learn at a hobby level, old college-level textbooks are fairly cheap and well worth it; I actually have some at my dry lab desk for reference. More than a few are (legally) free online, as well. They won't be up to date, but if you're just getting into a field of study you care more about the fundamentals anyway.

If you want something more current, find relatively high-impact-factor open-access journals and read their review articles. Those are free and, barring predatory journals, peer-reviewed, so they're fairly reliable as an overview.

Way beyond that, there are resources like KhanAcademy that are at least minimally curated so they're a little better than the rest of YouTube. They come with a huge warning label in that they're written for all ages and so may not be accurate to the level you want, but if you want a very shallow introduction for minimal time commitment, you could do worse.
Pages: 1 ... 9886 9887 [9888] 9889 9890 ... 10973