Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9887 9888 [9889] 9890 9891 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13001210 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #148320 on: October 29, 2019, 10:29:04 am »

I think college gives you a base to build upon and understand further material. So it enables you to keep up  (or catch up) with the times
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148321 on: October 29, 2019, 10:53:16 am »

It depends on what you're trying to learn. Technical stuff like science is probably best learned from sites that specialize in science or technology. For more correct information, you'll want more specialized sites, but for ease of learning, you'll want more of a mixed group. If (for example) chemists have to simplify the process enough that biologists understand it, you'll be more likely to understand it as well.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148322 on: October 29, 2019, 10:54:17 am »

I think college gives you a base to build upon and understand further material. So it enables you to keep up  (or catch up) with the times

Sure. That would be this part:
force you to learn enough to make you aware of what else you need to learn in order to know something

It's just that so much of that further material is also accessible to students. The libraries, the journal subscriptions, and the faculty can all help make students more current, but not if they don't know what they don't know.

Courses aren't the only point of college by any means; you can certainly waste your college career hacking Xboxes or partying or something, make passable grades, and still come away from college completely useless. They're just necessary for making the rest work.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #148323 on: October 29, 2019, 11:42:45 am »

The other bonus to university is that, depending on the university and the course, lecturers often know really interesting or useful stuff that's otherwise buried deep in papers or little-known textbooks.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #148324 on: October 29, 2019, 12:21:15 pm »

Beyond that, if you want to learn at a hobby level, old college-level textbooks are fairly cheap and well worth it; I actually have some at my dry lab desk for reference. More than a few are (legally) free online, as well. They won't be up to date, but if you're just getting into a field of study you care more about the fundamentals anyway.

I would argue that if you have the perseverance to slug through a college level book and understand it's content you have already passed the "hobbyist" level. Lectures can be a nice guidance tool for students but are in no way a substitute for good old fashioned reading and personal research.

My wtf for the day:
I found about 20 abandoned wasp nests, hidden behind some books, while cleaning today.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148325 on: October 29, 2019, 12:40:03 pm »

I wonder why they left

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148326 on: October 29, 2019, 12:45:39 pm »

So, while sitting in the car today, I decided I would do something stupid.

I have a legal copy of exagear desktop installed on my (now old) galaxy S5. For those that don't know, this is basically WINE for android, in a buy ware form.

So, I decided I would try running the 32bit windows version of dwarf fortress inside it.

Seems to work.  I will a Bluetooth keyboard, but it seems potentially playable.  I will see about generating a world with it and seeing how it responds.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148327 on: October 29, 2019, 12:48:27 pm »

Beyond that, if you want to learn at a hobby level, old college-level textbooks are fairly cheap and well worth it; I actually have some at my dry lab desk for reference. More than a few are (legally) free online, as well. They won't be up to date, but if you're just getting into a field of study you care more about the fundamentals anyway.

I would argue that if you have the perseverance to slug through a college level book and understand it's content you have already passed the "hobbyist" level. Lectures can be a nice guidance tool for students but are in no way a substitute for good old fashioned reading and personal research.

I'd agree as far as drive goes, but the main problem with autodidactism is the lack of an error-checking mechanism. There are people who will extol the virtues of their intellectual rigor in one breath and make elementary errors about their topics of professed expertise the next, and they love to claim they didn't need formal education because they were "smart enough to learn it on their own" or something similar. When the only person evaluating the correctness of your knowledge is you, it's very easy to pretend that all your errors are isolated incidents and your confidence in your own understanding is well-founded, because of course everything you think you know sounds right to you. It may even happen to be correct sometimes. Similarly, when there's no test at the end of the book, there's no motivation to slog through the boring parts; you can read the intro, decide it makes sense to you and you therefore understand it, skim the rest, and walk away. I have seen students do this. Examinations are an excellent tool for determining who they are.

Of course, it's fine to be wrong about the fiddly details if you just want to learn interesting things for your own amusement, which is why autodidactism makes sense for hobbyists. There are just too many ways for error to creep into your understanding without any external accountability for it to really be a sufficiently rigorous method for learning something on which you intend to depend professionally. I'd argue the same standard should apply to claiming to know anything, but that's just me being elitist.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148328 on: October 29, 2019, 01:56:51 pm »

I have a legal copy of exagear desktop installed on my (now old) galaxy S5. For those that don't know, this is basically WINE for android, in a buy ware form.

So, I decided I would try running the 32bit windows version of dwarf fortress inside it.

Seems to work.  I will a Bluetooth keyboard, but it seems potentially playable.  I will see about generating a world with it and seeing how it responds.

This is super interesting and I want to hear more.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #148329 on: October 29, 2019, 02:16:55 pm »

you can read the intro, decide it makes sense to you and you therefore understand it, skim the rest, and walk away.

That's just a waste of time! And you are only fooling yourself  if you think that you can understand anything that way (you in the general term, I'm not targeting you Trekkin :) ). No, what I meant by "understanding it's content" definitely includes the boring parts, the math, the theory, the solved examples, the hours thinking "why does the author does it that way" and of course the exercises.

I totally agree with the necessity for an error-checking mechanism (and a reality check too) especially for aspiring professionals. As you have already said a well structured formal education is a lot more than just lectures, it gives the students access to extra resources, it gives them opportunities to gain practical experience, it gives them teachers to guide them. In my experience (biased as it is) I find the actual lectures to be the smallest part of the educational process.

I wonder why they left

As far as I know that species doesn't form permanent nests (they usually disappear during the winter). So each nest was more like a cocoon than a beehive. If you want (and I can find more about them), I'll do a follow up.

edit: It seems that these wasps belong to the wider group of "mud daubers", meaning they make nests (cells) out of mud, into which they then place captured prey and a single wasp egg. Some of the mud daubers will then abandon the nest and the egg and others will stay and protect them. Since all of the cells I found were already open (and empty) I have no way to find which specific kind they belong to.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 03:36:15 pm by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148330 on: October 29, 2019, 03:34:32 pm »

A famous haematologist from Madrid is ditching medicine to join a neo-Francoist party. I shit you not

Do they need to ditch medicine to join that or something?
Well you can't be a MP and practice at the same time, realistically. Though, given the degree of absentism of some MPs,  he could potentially pull it off I guess.

The thing is that he's the kind of guy that, should he desire it, could probably make a living by giving talks for the pharmaceutical industry. Yet he does this instead...

Oh, running for office wasn't mentioned, I thought it was just a general 'switching parties', hence my slight confusion.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148331 on: October 29, 2019, 07:05:59 pm »

Ok, Some janky use of alternative keyboard apps (to give arrow keys) and further reading that the [ESC] key is mapped to the back button, I have it working. I have turned on the FPS display, and am gonna do an intensive custom worldgen with a huge world.  Gonna see how the FPS is under extreme conditions.

Worldgen on large world is painfully slow.. LOL.  FPS ticker says 0fps while doing history gen, does a year about every 2 to 3 seconds.

Ok, further testing shows terrible 7fps on normal size embark on large world.

Looks like pocket size is necessary.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 08:08:52 pm by wierd »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148332 on: October 29, 2019, 08:31:36 pm »

Ok, Some janky use of alternative keyboard apps (to give arrow keys) and further reading that the [ESC] key is mapped to the back button, I have it working. I have turned on the FPS display, and am gonna do an intensive custom worldgen with a huge world.  Gonna see how the FPS is under extreme conditions.

Worldgen on large world is painfully slow.. LOL.  FPS ticker says 0fps while doing history gen, does a year about every 2 to 3 seconds.

Ok, further testing shows terrible 7fps on normal size embark on large world.

Looks like pocket size is necessary.
Pocket size for pocket devices!
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148333 on: October 29, 2019, 09:27:36 pm »

Normal size embark on pocket world runs about 12fps.

Playable, but i dunno how long.

Considering its in a full x86 + windows emulation along with it, thats not too bad... i bet a native app would work ok on pocket worlds.

Also this is an old S5. Much beefier phones out these days.

The program i am running it in is exagear windows emulator. Sadly it looks like it was DCed earlier this year so no longer on playstore.  Looks like i need to back up my license and copy of the apk.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148334 on: October 29, 2019, 09:42:35 pm »

Would be hilarious if someone released it on the App Store before Zach got around to making it Steam-accessible
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 9887 9888 [9889] 9890 9891 ... 10974