Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9889 9890 [9891] 9892 9893 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13132407 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #148350 on: October 31, 2019, 07:35:23 am »

Everything's big now because they assume you're viewing it in a 48 inch 4K display like they are, and it was clearly too small before.

I haven't seen it, but now I'm having a moment of terror imagining Big Picture mode as the default. BP is great for what it's designed for... which is controller navigation on a TV.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #148351 on: October 31, 2019, 07:37:18 am »

I honestly kinda regret buying a 4k monitor, mostly cause it's largely featureless, outside of the 3840x2160 resolution.

And yeah, the new library update's trash, and is laggy even on my top-of-the-line computer. Good thing the notebook didn't install the update yet.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148352 on: October 31, 2019, 01:57:33 pm »

Valve is really putting a lot of effort into shitting the bed with Steam lately.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #148353 on: October 31, 2019, 03:25:05 pm »

I honestly can't figure out why everybody's complaining, other than the 'they changed it so it sucks'

EDIT: Though for whatever reason there's like a half dozen uninstalled games in my library I don't think I've ever seen before
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 03:28:42 pm by overseer05-15 »
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #148354 on: October 31, 2019, 03:27:48 pm »

I don't have a problem with it, except it borked my categories so I now own 96 ARMA games out of a possible five.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #148355 on: October 31, 2019, 03:30:13 pm »

I don't understand the criticism, personally. It is a bit loud, but the functionality is there.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148356 on: October 31, 2019, 04:58:50 pm »

The same functionality that was there before with a much nicer look...?
Yeah, no, this is garbage. I'm gonna see if they've responded to my strongly-worded complaint and my threat to start buying games through epic instead.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148357 on: October 31, 2019, 04:59:02 pm »

I personally just find it ugly

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148358 on: October 31, 2019, 05:01:25 pm »

One major problem with me is how whenever I change to a different tab, or even another program's window, the library tab gets glitchy. It's especially noticeable when minimizing the Steam window and bringing it back up - all I get is a black screen until I mouse over parts of the window which brings those parts back. Another major irritation is that when changing tabs and then going back to the library, it goes right back to the top rather than whatever game was last looked at.

EDIT: Unrelated to the Steam stuff, I tried playing the Resident Evil 2 Remake just now, and noticed my new graphics card's fans running high. I check the temperature, and it's running at 80°C, give or take a degree. I don't know how much the graphics card can take from that. The air from the case was blowing out pretty hot, though most of that was coming from the power supply's fan. Now that I think about it, I've never noticed the PSU fan blowing out exceptionally warm. The actual case around where the GPU is mounted is hot to the touch.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 07:18:31 pm by Akura »
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148359 on: October 31, 2019, 07:38:40 pm »

I'm seeing ads for low-fat, high-protein snack food marketed as quick energy food. Like, it's a red bull ad but for lean strips of dried beef. They specifically said it was lean, low-fat. And for energy.

Now I'm no nutritionist, but from what little I do understand about macronutrients, that's completely stupid and makes no sense. Protein isn't even for energy, and it won't help you with a late night.

As I understand it, protein could potentially give you reasonably quick release energy if you just so happen to be in ketosis, i.e. basically not eating carbohydrate ever, but Isuspect it'd still be worse for that than any kind of fat.

I really hope the new craze for protein as the only non-evil macronutrient doesn't become too stuck in the collective consciousness. Given the difficulty in persuading some people that plants have protein too, and the necessity that we stop producing so much meat. It'd be convenient if overconsumption of protein led to some kind of horrible condition, like too much fat or carbohydrate does, but I haven't managed to find one yet.
One wheel short of a wagon

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #148360 on: October 31, 2019, 07:49:03 pm »

USDA is already releasing ads saying things like "Only real milk gives you the nutrition you need," so the war on plant-based products and substitutes is progressing apace.

I'm actually starting to like plant-based meat substitutes just because they don't release so much damn grease that's hard to clean off. The lower calories and other health benefits are just side bonuses.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #148361 on: October 31, 2019, 08:18:59 pm »

I'm seeing ads for low-fat, high-protein snack food marketed as quick energy food. Like, it's a red bull ad but for lean strips of dried beef. They specifically said it was lean, low-fat. And for energy.

Now I'm no nutritionist, but from what little I do understand about macronutrients, that's completely stupid and makes no sense. Protein isn't even for energy, and it won't help you with a late night.

As I understand it, protein could potentially give you reasonably quick release energy if you just so happen to be in ketosis, i.e. basically not eating carbohydrate ever, but Isuspect it'd still be worse for that than any kind of fat.

I really hope the new craze for protein as the only non-evil macronutrient doesn't become too stuck in the collective consciousness. Given the difficulty in persuading some people that plants have protein too, and the necessity that we stop producing so much meat. It'd be convenient if overconsumption of protein led to some kind of horrible condition, like too much fat or carbohydrate does, but I haven't managed to find one yet.

Most of the protein snack ads I've seen focus heavily on nuts as well as meat. Some don't contain meat at all.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #148362 on: October 31, 2019, 08:24:09 pm »

The biggest WTF for the new steam interface is that they removed small mode.

Why? literally the only reason I can think of to remove small mode is to force people to view the bloated ugly new library page, so they can force ads on you. More evidence for this is the mandatory "what's new" advertisement, the prominent trading cards spam, the "WRITE A REVIEW" section so that they can then spam everyone else with your review, and the "major news" section that developers can use you spam you with whatever ads for DLC or other games that they want.

Bonus: when you click a game now, it spams you with your friend's "recent" (recent being at least 6+ months ago) achievements and you can't disable this "feature". Gotta love it when those achievements are major spoilers, and the client shoves them in your face as the first thing you see when you click a game to run it for the first time.

The more I think about it the more angry I get, the whole this is just so god awful in every way. Steam you used to be a good guy, what happened?
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148363 on: October 31, 2019, 08:29:41 pm »

It'd be convenient if overconsumption of protein led to some kind of horrible condition, like too much fat or carbohydrate does, but I haven't managed to find one yet.

Well you’re in luck then, google rabbit starvation. It’s less of a condition caused by the overconsumption of protein and more of a condition caused by the underconsumption of both fats and carbs, but the overall effect is still the same.

TLDR: basically, getting energy from protein is a last resort for your body. That’s not what it’s for. You’re supposed to use amino acids to build protein molecules, not ATP molecules. When you metabolize protein into ATP, you create Urea as a by-product which is a toxin your body expels via pee. As you can imagine, a protein exclusive diet would quickly overload your liver and kill you.

Except it doesn’t. If I remember right, your body isn’t that stupid. To avoid that previously mentioned outcome it instead puts a cap on the amount of protein metabolism it does in a given time period. The result, you get some extra energy to keep you going longer, but for GOD’S SAKE YOU BETTER FIND A REAL SOURCE OF FOOD CAUSE I CAN’T DO THIS FOREVER!
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #148364 on: November 01, 2019, 05:49:25 am »

It'd be convenient if overconsumption of protein led to some kind of horrible condition, like too much fat or carbohydrate does, but I haven't managed to find one yet.

Well you’re in luck then, google rabbit starvation. It’s less of a condition caused by the overconsumption of protein and more of a condition caused by the underconsumption of both fats and carbs, but the overall effect is still the same.

Thanks! This was fascinating. I wonder if we'll start seeing this among dieters. It seems unlikely, but you never know...
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 9889 9890 [9891] 9892 9893 ... 10979