Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9939 9940 [9941] 9942 9943 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13003314 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #149100 on: December 10, 2019, 12:03:32 pm »

There was recently a big reddit thread about animal shits and their relation to English.

Like:
Bullshit
Horseshit
Batshit
Apeshit
Ratshit
Dogshit
Snakeshit
Chickenshit
And Jack Shit. Technically an animal.

Which all have weirdly diverse meanings.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149101 on: December 10, 2019, 01:28:14 pm »

Why the hell does shit-eating grin not mean a grin that is disgusted or otherwise uncomfortable.

Based on only the first website that came up (which means the information is good, right?), it means a grin from a despicable person. I would assume the grin of a bad person is the grin of someone who just got away with something.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149102 on: December 10, 2019, 01:55:35 pm »

I'm using a Galaxy A50. It's new (released in Q1 2019). I haven't tried Fort Mode, but it's somewhere between a Galaxy S6 and an S7 in benchmarks, so it should fare better than your phone.

Also using this, I'm quite happy with it.

It's actually performing better than my S7. The major difference is water. It does not react well to moisture of any kind. Even a few droplets on the screen will cause it to practically lose all calibration for like, a full minute.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #149103 on: December 10, 2019, 04:33:45 pm »

The major difference is water. It does not react well to moisture of any kind. Even a few droplets on the screen will cause it to practically lose all calibration for like, a full minute.

Yeah, that happens to me as well. I'm pretty sure it's deliberate, too; the patch notes for the first couple updates had "increased touch screen sensitivity" (or something along those lines) as one of the bullet points.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149104 on: December 10, 2019, 05:57:33 pm »

Why the hell does shit-eating grin not mean a grin that is disgusted or otherwise uncomfortable.
I think is whomever do it won't care and be happy doing it? Dunno.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149105 on: December 10, 2019, 07:23:10 pm »

SSD arrived. I don't feel like digging into my PC's guts to find a spare SATA port on the motherboard(if there even is one, I don't know), I attached it using the SATA/IDE->USB converter I used the last time I got a hard drive. And according to the calculator I used, it would take over 7 hours to clone my hard drive to the SSD through the converter.

Oh, and my PC isn't recognizing the SSD either(or converter). That's great. So I need to go digging for a port that may or may not exist. Also booting the PC with the converter attached and powered locked up at power on.

Also, my stupid ass also forgot to get a mounting bracket. I think the case has built-in adjustable mounts for floppy drives, which are the same size as the SSD(2.5").
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #149106 on: December 10, 2019, 08:11:07 pm »

Why did you get an SSD if you were going to use a converter that completely eliminates the speed advantage?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149107 on: December 10, 2019, 08:58:02 pm »

Clone HDD to SSD, remove HDD and put SSD in the same place?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #149108 on: December 10, 2019, 11:02:45 pm »

Ah. That does make sense.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149109 on: December 11, 2019, 02:49:20 am »

I haven't looked up the etymology or anything, but I'm guessing the "shit-eating" part is because it's a fake smile, usually worn by someone accustomed to brown-nosing.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #149110 on: December 11, 2019, 03:37:06 am »

I haven't looked up the etymology or anything, but I'm guessing the "shit-eating" part is because it's a fake smile, usually worn by someone accustomed to brown-nosing.
As it happens, I have

Some guy on the net mentions this

In Book XXI of his History of Rome, Livy describes a Carthaginian sect of coprophages, the risus faecivorus, or shit-eating grin, being commonly displayed by its adherents

But I find it very dubious because I have been browsing book XXI and I find plenty of mention of carthagians, but little about shit eating. Plus the only mention on the net of "faecivorus" is this supposed reference.

So, given the unreliability of this supposed ancient source, we have to come to the conclusion that the actual source of the expression is a famous internet video which was prevalent in shock sites
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149111 on: December 11, 2019, 04:03:07 am »

That's clearly not correct. Here's a verified dated example. Rolling Stone article from 1971:
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-news/the-lyman-familys-holy-siege-of-america-235776/

But it was in the third issue of American Avatar that he dropped the final veil. On page three, next to a picture of him floating lotus-positioned in the universe with halo above his head, a drink in his hand and a leering, shit-eating grin on his face, Mel published the following Message to Humanity:

So we can see it was already in the vernacular by 1971 that you could print it and expect people to just know what you're talking about.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149112 on: December 11, 2019, 04:06:54 am »

Honestly, there's a biblical reference to shit eating.  Clearly it is indeed quite old.

Quote from: 2 kings 18
26Then said Eliakim the son of Hilkiah, and Shebna, and Joah, unto Rabshakeh, Speak, I pray thee, to thy servants in the Syrian language; for we understand it: and talk not with us in the Jews' language in the ears of the people that are on the wall. 27But Rabshakeh said unto them, Hath my master sent me to thy master, and to thee, to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men which sit on the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149113 on: December 11, 2019, 04:20:04 am »

So, given the unreliability of this supposed ancient source, we have to come to the conclusion that the actual source of the expression is a famous internet video which was prevalent in shock sites
BTW since Shit-eating grin has been around since at least the 1970s, and the earliest attested date is 1957, not only is it not an internet thing, it's a Boomer Meme.

You'll need to try harder then, and come up with a new meme that will offend Boomers who already know "shit-eating grin"

How about "horse jism gargling grin"?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 04:22:13 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149114 on: December 11, 2019, 04:28:35 am »

They seem pretty pissed by "OK Boomer" already.  Who knew that a "loud, obnoxious, and entitled to a cliche degree" generation would find such offense by simple dismissiveness? LOL

Pages: 1 ... 9939 9940 [9941] 9942 9943 ... 10974