Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9940 9941 [9942] 9943 9944 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12999681 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #149115 on: December 11, 2019, 04:30:10 am »

Honestly, there's a biblical reference to shit eating.  Clearly it is indeed quite old.

Quote from: 2 kings 18
26Then said Eliakim the son of Hilkiah, and Shebna, and Joah, unto Rabshakeh, Speak, I pray thee, to thy servants in the Syrian language; for we understand it: and talk not with us in the Jews' language in the ears of the people that are on the wall. 27But Rabshakeh said unto them, Hath my master sent me to thy master, and to thee, to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men which sit on the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?
Why did Rabshakeh say that exactly?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149116 on: December 11, 2019, 04:36:27 am »

Honestly, there's a biblical reference to shit eating.  Clearly it is indeed quite old.

Quote from: 2 kings 18
26Then said Eliakim the son of Hilkiah, and Shebna, and Joah, unto Rabshakeh, Speak, I pray thee, to thy servants in the Syrian language; for we understand it: and talk not with us in the Jews' language in the ears of the people that are on the wall. 27But Rabshakeh said unto them, Hath my master sent me to thy master, and to thee, to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men which sit on the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?
Why did Rabshakeh say that exactly?

There's some commentary by some biblical scholar on that--

Quote from: commentary
Pulpit Commentary
Verse 27. - But Rabshakeh said unto them, Hath my master sent me to thy master, and to thee, to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men which sit on the wall? An intolerable speech on the part of an envoy, and one which might have justified an order to send an arrow through his head. Ambassadors are accredited by governments to governments, and the safe conduct granted to them is on the understanding that they will conduct themselves according to established usage. In no state of society can it have been allowable for envoys to intervene between the governors and the governed, and endeavor to stir up discontent among the latter. Yet this is what Rabshakeh did, and boasted of doing. Well might Isaiah say of such an arrogant and lawless aggressor, "He hath broken the covenant, he hath despised the cities, he regardeth no man" (see Isaiah 33:8). That they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you? Rabshakeh means to say that the effect of the men "sitting on the wall," and continuing the defense of the town, will be to bring them to the last extremity of hunger and thirst, when they will be forced even to consume their own excrement (comp. 2 Kings 6:25-29).

It has parallels to the "Ezekiel bread" much earlier in the bible.

Quote from: ezekiel 4
7“Therefore you shall set your face toward the siege of Jerusalem; your arm shall be uncovered, and you shall prophesy against it. 8And surely I will [a]restrain you so that you cannot turn from one side to another till you have ended the days of your siege.

9“Also take for yourself wheat, barley, beans, lentils, millet, and spelt; put them into one vessel, and make bread of them for yourself. During the number of days that you lie on your side, three hundred and ninety days, you shall eat it. 10And your food which you eat shall be by weight, twenty shekels a day; from time to time you shall eat it. 11You shall also drink water by measure, one-sixth of a hin; from time to time you shall drink. 12And you shall eat it as barley cakes; and bake it using fuel of human waste in their sight.”

13Then the Lord said, “So shall the children of Israel eat their defiled bread among the Gentiles, where I will drive them.”
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 04:38:47 am by wierd »

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #149117 on: December 11, 2019, 10:12:28 am »

They seem pretty pissed by "OK Boomer" already.  Who knew that a "loud, obnoxious, and entitled to a cliche degree" generation would find such offense by simple dismissiveness? LOL
All right, Millenial.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #149118 on: December 11, 2019, 10:45:20 am »

Casual dismissiveness of millennials is something we're entirely used to, though. Doesn't have the same sort of bite :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #149119 on: December 11, 2019, 11:02:07 am »

Us Millennials and our collective obsession with avocado toast, influencers, and general fiscal hardship have doomed humanity
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149120 on: December 11, 2019, 11:03:57 am »

I think he is attempting to imply that the Millennial generation also meets the description of "Loud, obnoxious, and entitled to a cliche degree".

However, when you compare the two generations, they are not even close to the same levels of entitlement or obnoxiousness.  Sure, the Millennial generation is more strongly in favor of things like gay marriage and equal rights (oh, how horrid!) and can be pretty vocal about those things, but in terms of innate entitled behaviors?  Oh lord no.  I deal with aged boomers all day long. The concepts that the status quo is without doubt killing the planet and ruining everything at the most basic of trophic levels, does not sink in-- all they care about is getting the same products they always did, driving the same cars they always did, watching the same shows they always did, and getting their way like they always have.  Many still view the world from a context that "You're all just whiners complaining about systemic economic disadvantage-- When I was your age, I put myself through college, and raised a family working at a gas station." is somehow still applicable to the modern world, and that consequently, kids saying "HEY, College costs upwards of 100k, WITH GOVT ASSISTANCE!" coupled with "Minimum wage is barely 20k a year, GROSS!" are entitled little shits who "want government handouts for everything" and that they "demand participation trophies" and "Never actually earned anything in their lives."

Compare that with the boomer generation, who basically had everything handed to them. (Being children of the post-war reconstruction economy, in a depopulated national stage, they were the "treasures" of their respective age. They were given every possible advantage, and they appreciated none of it.)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #149121 on: December 11, 2019, 11:08:21 am »

Alright, millennial.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149122 on: December 11, 2019, 11:09:07 am »

as pointed out previously, we are used to being dismissed.  Being dismissed wont change the fact that what we are saying is true.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #149123 on: December 11, 2019, 11:12:16 am »

okay
Us Millennials and our collective obsession with avocado toast, influencers, and general fiscal hardship have doomed humanity
Whoa buddy, speak for yourself.  I'm a millennial by like 3 years.

#notmygeneration
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149124 on: December 11, 2019, 11:13:36 am »

Goddamn, I hate milennials.
At least we aren't as bad as Gen Z, though.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #149125 on: December 11, 2019, 11:14:30 am »

The reason it doesn't work isn't that millenials are used to being dismissed (because they sure as hell aren't), it's that it's to disrythmic to work like "ok boomer" does
Love, scriver~

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #149126 on: December 11, 2019, 11:15:45 am »

I heard millenials like all sorts of weird stuff like eating avocados and  pushing cucumbers in.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #149127 on: December 11, 2019, 11:21:26 am »

I heard millenials like all sorts of weird stuff like eating avocados and  pushing cucumbers in.
Well, you can't push the cucumber out. That's just not right.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149128 on: December 11, 2019, 11:21:47 am »

The cucumber thing is new, but the avocado bit is weaksauce compared to the rapsheet on boomers.

Besides, boomers are being hypocrites there. For their generation, it was Coffee, then sushi.

Complaints about avocado toast are pitiful and toothless when you kick that moral highground out from under it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #149129 on: December 11, 2019, 11:30:09 am »

Pretty sure neither of those timeframes paint a picture of boomers
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 9940 9941 [9942] 9943 9944 ... 10974